Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

49 Posts

06-11-2016

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

98 Signins

614 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 614
  • Message 651 of 2450

Re: Nougat update news for ALL G4

2017-02-28, 20:09 PM
Not sure if that is a joke or not AlphaDog?

Do you realise how simple it is for an attacker to write an exploit?? Hell, I've written a buffer overflow myself in the past.

I'm sorry but I completely disagree with your mindset and what you you've wrote. If that is Lenovo's mindset too, then I am shocked beyond all rational belief.

Who cares about GSM vulns? We can never use GSM and use apps like Signal for secure communications.

The fact is, Lenovo are extraordinarily slow to patch or update our OS. The issue lies with them. There really is no excuse. As I mentioned, Lineage OS has been working harder than lenovo to bring us up to date software. It says an awful lot about Lenovo that Lineage has been created for the G4 Plus, on Nougat before the "soak tests" have even been deployed.

It's a sad state of affairs at Lenovo Towers.
Options

27 Posts

06-29-2014

36 Signins

362 Page Views

• Views: 362
  • Message 652 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:13 PM
At no point have I said that a vulnerability is an exploit. I'm perfectly aware of the difference but using your analogy what we have with Motorola's complacency is leaving the back door key under a selected plant pot in the garden and hoping nobody finds it. It's indefensible in today's connected world and just because nobody has yet exploited known vulnerabilities yet is not an excuse to leave the OS unpatched where patches exist. That's Apple's model and why some of us avoid their products.
Options

49 Posts

06-11-2016

98 Signins

614 Page Views

• Message 653 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:21 PM
Well to be fair - Apple are extremely quick to patch vulnerabilities in OS X (now MAC OS) and iOS. To be 100% honest, i'm getting closer and closer to ditching this G4. If Alpha Dog's response represents what Lenovo think (and it sure seems to) then I don't want to be a part of this.

Motorola/Lenovo faces strong competition now from several other brands and if they carry on like this, the G5 and G5 Plus sales will suffer. Repeat customers such as us will stop purchasing handsets. Word will spread that security patches don't happen... there's really no benefit to do what they're doing.
Options

6 Posts

02-28-2017

United States of America

5 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 654 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:33 PM

wrote:

wrote:

downloading - yay me! here's hoping it fixes my irritating BT issue...:smileymad:

You are from US? And you are getting Nougat?

Germany actually; I was afraid to put Germany when I signed up for fear of getting automatically switched to Deutsch like so many annoying website s do. 

But it's installed and running now

Options

27 Posts

06-29-2014

36 Signins

362 Page Views

• Views: 362
  • Message 655 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:37 PM
Apple didn't used to be either quick or transparent with security updates. Maybe that's changed in the last few years.

Either way the G4 Plus Nougat update only serves to make my handset a trifle more saleable on eBay and Nokia here I come. It can't be worse than this.
Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 656 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:38 PM

wrote:
Well to be fair - Apple are extremely quick to patch vulnerabilities in OS X (now MAC OS) and iOS. To be 100% honest, i'm getting closer and closer to ditching this G4. If Alpha Dog's response represents what Lenovo think (and it sure seems to) then I don't want to be a part of this.

Motorola/Lenovo faces strong competition now from several other brands and if they carry on like this, the G5 and G5 Plus sales will suffer. Repeat customers such as us will stop purchasing handsets. Word will spread that security patches don't happen... there's really no benefit to do what they're doing.

I am a volunteer - and I am allowed to state my opinion like everyone else ... but if it is "so easy" to write a working exploit, then there are a many coders that would have done it already. Most of the world if android is way more vulnerablility then the Moto phones. The virus and malware writers would not miss an opportunity if it were there.

Because of the adroid layers of security it is not easy to exploit these vulnerabilities. Every phone is different too - just look at what it takes to get root - that is an exploit. And it is different on most phones, that is why the tools always have to get updated - and some phones still don't have root vulnerabilities.

And if you research apple, they have had their share of vulnerabilities they took a long time to patch.... again, Risk management. 

You are more likely to be compromised via phishing or some other site's data leakage then having your phone be the victime of an exploit. But i am beating a dead horse.....

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

49 Posts

06-11-2016

98 Signins

614 Page Views

• Message 657 of 2450

2017-02-28, 20:47 PM
By all means have an opinion - i'm not saying don't have one. I was just wondering if your opinion is that of Lenovo themselves.

I guess i'm just disappointed. Initially, I was going to get the G4 on launch. I decided to get the G4 Plus, fully spec'd up so it would last longer in terms of the 4gb ram and the large 64gb storage with the option of expanding it. Whilst it's not a bad phone in itself, it just feels like it has been neglected.

And sure, Nougat will be released on it, but when? Lenovo don't say. And then will we have to wait until 'O' comes out before we get another security patch?

It would be really awesome if Lenovo could communicate with us much more. Maybe set up a blog and even just post once per month with what's going on.
Options

231 Posts

12-18-2014

United States of America

251 Signins

1900 Page Views

• Views: 1900
  • Message 658 of 2450

2017-02-28, 21:03 PM

wrote:
It would be really awesome if Lenovo could communicate with us much more. Maybe set up a blog and even just post once per month with what's going on.

I think that's the problem in a nutshell, no communication. If Lenovo would at least make some effort to educate the masses into what their intentions or plans are, then a huge amount of complaints would probably stop. If they would address the questions of security patches and update schedules and why or why not they aren't pushing them out, then you would probably have a lot of happy campers or at least less of a mob scene. Instead, they start sending out emails about the latest and greatest Moto G5, a phone that everyone should avoid like the plague.

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

5842 Signins

132780 Page Views

• Views: 132780
  • Message 659 of 2450

2017-02-28, 21:08 PM

wrote:

wrote:

I think that's the problem in a nutshell, no communication. If Lenovo would at least make some effort to educate the masses into what their intentions or plans are, then a huge amount of complaints would probably stop. If they would address the questions of security patches and update schedules and why or why not they aren't pushing them out, then you would probably have a lot of happy campers or at least less of a mob scene. Instead, they start sending out emails about the latest and greatest Moto G5, a phone that everyone should avoid like the plague.

I commented on this before. 

Moto did do some of this in the past - but if a date got missed or something didn't align with what was communicated, the hatred and vitriol type remarks were even worse then in this thread.

And it is also possible Moto has nothing to say due to contractual obligations. What should they do then? Monthly updates of "we have nothing we can say"? 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

49 Posts

06-11-2016

98 Signins

614 Page Views

• Message 660 of 2450

2017-02-28, 21:18 PM

Moto/Lenovo missing deadlines is because whoever is in charge was doing something wrong. What should happen is this: the software is completed and ready to go on a Monday. On a Tuesday, Motorola issue a statement saying: "Update will be released Friday" - that way, the software has been ready to go for a few days.

That sort of thing would stop Moto/Lenovo saying: "update will be out in 7 days!" - then behind the scenes, begin working on the software and on the 7th day, realising "**bleep**, we can't get it out in time".

It's all about project management and ensuring projects are released on time. Again - whoever was in charge was seriously messing up if that was the case. It's a shame that because of that person or that team, the customer is now left in the dark.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms