DE

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 1

Oreo Update for my Moto G4 Plus? How?

2020-11-20, 12:40 PM

Hello,

I just went about resetting and possibly updating my phone.

I have a Moto G4 Plus (as correctly identified in Settings --> About, more on that later), XT1642 model, reteu software channel, currently running Android 7.0.

According to the German Motorola website, this model should be eligible to receive an update to Android Oreo.

However, the latest version that can be installed through the built-in system update functionality is Build NPJS25.93-14-8. It keeps telling me that my software is up to date.

On the German Motorola help pages I learnt that the solution to such update problems might be the Rescue and Smart Assistant software (LMSA). I was directed to the English site, from there to the Lenovo site, from there to their English site or something like that, where I could download the software.

BTW, I later saw that a) LMSA was only supposed to work on 64bit Windows (it installed fine, though), and b) going by serial number and/or model my phone was unsupported (LMSA did not complain about that, though).

Now, two suspicious things:

• LMSA recognizes my phone as Moto G (4) (not Plus), as does the on-phone helper app that it installs.
  • LMSA offers to download and install the following image:
    ATHENE_OPJ28.111_22_cid50_subsidy_DEFAULT_regulatory_DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip,
    which, searching for the build number, seems to be Oreo. So I downloaded it, however in the notes inside the archive, it says US Retail Version.

I stopped there, because installing a US image onto a EU phone seemed unsafe to me (baseband differences and such?)

My questions:

1. Can I install the US Retail image on my phone?
  2. If not, is there any official place where I can get the official correct image? I am perfectly happy to flash it myself and accept the blame if I destroy my phone in the process.

Many thanks in advance!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete