01-09-2017

GB

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 1 of 7

Sd card suddenly appears to be read only

2017-01-09, 10:24 AM

I have a g4 with a SanDisk 32gb memory card in. All has been fine,  I've been using it as 'adoptable storage',  with apps etc on.  Overnight,  while I was asleep, something mysterious appears to have occurred. A couple of apps tried to update over wifi,  ebay and Power amp failed to do so and norw it seems that,  while the sd cd is still recognised and can be accessed,  it is now read only. I can't download,  save or take photos.... Help! 

Options

3454 Posts

10-05-2016

PH

533 Signins

43787 Page Views

• Views: 43787
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Sd card suddenly appears to be read only

2017-01-09, 14:15 PM

wrote:

I have a g4 with a SanDisk 32gb memory card in. All has been fine,  I've been using it as 'adoptable storage',  with apps etc on.  Overnight,  while I was asleep, something mysterious appears to have occurred. A couple of apps tried to update over wifi,  ebay and Power amp failed to do so and norw it seems that,  while the sd cd is still recognised and can be accessed,  it is now read only. I can't download,  save or take photos.... Help! 

Hi Bendyjoe,

Have you tried to restart your phone? Would you please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? is it okay if we look at your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Update your profile here

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Options

28352 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5841 Signins

132765 Page Views

• Views: 132765
  • Message 3 of 7

2017-01-09, 14:18 PM

wrote:

When SD cards become corrupt or start to fail, the first step is to fail to read only mode - this doesn't always happen if the failure is extreme.

There is not much you can do other then backup your data, and get a new card. Internal-adopted storage writes much more then if used as external portable and we see many more card failures.

I don't recommend using cards for internal-adopted unless you have no choice. Most users should be able to use a card as external, and keep music, video, pictures on the card, and store all apps on internal storage. This avoids most card issues. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

3 Posts

01-09-2017

GB

3 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-01-09, 23:51 PM

I have indeed restarted the phone. My profile has now been updated, and please go ahead and search for any solutions.

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

US

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 5 of 7

2017-01-10, 1:30 AM

wrote:

I have indeed restarted the phone. My profile has now been updated, and please go ahead and search for any solutions.

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

From personal experience with SD cards on various phones, I would strongly endorse the solution that senior moderator AlphaDog has posted above. Back up your data and install as new and fast an SD card as possible, and don't format it as internal storage. The data you store on that card will really be safer and certainly more accessible to other devices. When the SD card is internal storage, you can't take it out and put it in another device to read it and that can end up being a great disappointment if something happens to the phone. The data on the card would most likely be non-retrievable.

Options

10 Posts

06-09-2017

EG

20 Signins

147 Page Views

• Views: 147
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-01-03, 14:57 PM

Well i found someone who had suffered my issue ... 

I have lenovo k6 note and kingstone class 10 32 gb sd card .. after a month or more of adopteing the sd card as internal storage .. i found the same issue you mentioned above my friend .. i can't save nothing on my phone .. nothing can be written on it .. firslty i tought it was  the device issue .. had factory reset .. but the same error pops up .. i tried by concidence to wipe all device and this wiped also sd card ..now it returns to normal situation .. i adopted it again .. ana after a while aslo the same haeppened .. i copied everything that was on sd even the apps everything to phone's internal and then format the sd  and then get them back again on it... I found it returns back to normal use .. this happened too frequently maybe  a mounth or two .. i have searched too long .. i found that ... : Sd cards are designed to have something called write cycle limit ... The supposed quantity is 1 million times  ( from 3 - 5 years ) approximated.. after that the lifetime must be reset .. mean becomes unwrietable .. read only .. but nowadays companies have no conscience ? .. they decrease this amount .. to force people to buy new one because they don't understand what had happened .. so it is not lenovo's fault or your mobile fault .. it's SD card issue .. may be we need some strong and perfect sd card in order to bear formatted as internal .. before i read your text .. i decided to change from Kingston to sandisk .. !!! But now after knowing that you already have sandisk !!! ?? I become shocked ??

Options

8 Posts

04-03-2020

US

10 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:Sd card suddenly appears to be read only

2020-05-14, 6:48 AM

Hey....just relax! You can try the CMD command to remove read only from SD card, this method is trouble-free but you need to follow the below steps carefully:

• You have to connect the SD card says read only with system.
  • Then, click the “Start” and type in “command” in the search tab and hit ENTER.
  • Now, under the command Window you have to type: diskpart and hit the ENTER. After this, type: list disk and press the ENTER.
  • Next, type: select disk 0 and press (select disk 0 shall be the drive letter of your read-only USB/SD card or hard drive).
  • After that, type: attributes disk clear read only and press the ENTER.
  • Lastly, type: exit and hit ENTER to finish the process.

After completing these steps, you will be able to read, write and use the data saved on the storage devices.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete