Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

54 Posts

10-15-2016

United States of America

520 Signins

3582 Page Views

• Views: 3582
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: Sending phone to Motorola for Ghost Touch is not an acceptable solution!

2016-11-02, 22:51 PM

Based on reports, I'm going to have to go with "maybe" on the question of whether it really fixes it. In many parts of the world you take it to a local repair shop that is not owned by Lenovo and what happens seems to vary - A LOT.  However, since you are in the US, you would send it to Motorola, and you would HOPE they would know what to do. However, I don't recall seeing posts that confirm it.  I saw one guy post that his was fixed and on its way back to him, but then I didn't see a later post from him.  If you send yours to Motorola, please post the result! And please tell us if it's still good after a couple of months!

Options

6 Posts

11-04-2016

United States of America

24 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 12 of 20

2016-11-06, 0:39 AM

I sent my G4 in (In The US) for the ghost touch issue without being on any charge. I got it back yesterday, and it was still doing the same thing. I called them, and they said they had completely replaced the phone... That means I've had 2 in a row with the ghost touch issue. Dunno what to do now.

Options

54 Posts

10-15-2016

United States of America

520 Signins

3582 Page Views

• Message 13 of 20

2016-11-07, 15:44 PM

You sent it to Motorola US?  If so, that's very dissapointing! 

Options

6 Posts

11-04-2016

United States of America

24 Signins

286 Page Views

• Views: 286
  • Message 14 of 20

2016-11-07, 15:53 PM

Yeah, in the US, Fort Worth. They said they replaced it, but my phone continues to do the same thing. I'm going to send it in again, and hope for the best, once again.

Options

54 Posts

10-15-2016

United States of America

520 Signins

3582 Page Views

• Message 15 of 20

2016-11-07, 16:07 PM

Wow! I'm really shocked that after all the claims that this is "solved" that all they do is swap it out and hope that something different happens with the next one. 

In another thread, someone swapped his out at his retailer and got ghost touch again, and a mod said that's because he just swapped it and didn't get it "repaired" like Lenovo recommends.  Yet the "repair" appears to also be a swap!!???

Options

17 Posts

03-26-2010

United States of America

23 Signins

262 Page Views

• Views: 262
  • Message 16 of 20

2016-11-07, 16:22 PM

I'm pretty disgusted with Motorola and this issue--

I've sent my phone back to Amazon twice now--

First one had a problem with the LTE radio.

Second/Third ones have Ghost touch.

I thought my most-recent copy was tolerable, and was considering having to send it to Motorola for service.However:

--A number of folks in this thread and the other were having issues finding a service center to perform the repair.

--A number of folks report issues following the repair, including new/replacement phones acting up

--My brand new phone (The 3rd one received) is also having ghost touch issues, and have been getting progressively worse in the 1 week I've had it..

In my opinion, and the consensus of the others , the best solutions, in order of harassment tolerance:

1) Not buy this phone (nor other phones in the Motorola family that have this issue)

2) Return it if you can for a full refund (Amazon has seen this issue many times, according to reps, and feedback)

3) See if you can tolerate only using your phone off-the charger, or try differeent chargers (not really a solution)

4) Sent it back to Motorola, possibly a few times, and hope you get a copy that is tolerable.

This issue is beyond absurd.  Motorola should systematically recall these phones (and Amazon's stock of new ones) and find a way to test the sensitivity of the touchscreen. I'd say they should go after the vendor of the touchscreen IC, but according to folks that have had good luck insulating their digitizer from other hardware in other models, it's probably a design fault on Motorola's end.

Options

1 Posts

11-20-2016

India

4 Signins

76 Page Views

• Views: 76
  • Message 17 of 20

2016-11-20, 8:29 AM

Hey ! I have this problem too.

I've already sent my Moto G4 Plus to service center 3 times in the 3 months period (Out of 3  Months phone was in service center for 2 months so you can say that I have spent money for nothing...so please help me with this issue). I know that I can't get my phone replaced but still I want the solution ...an acceptable solution...

My Moto G4 works fine when nit connected to charger but when charging my phone's touch screen doesn't responds and it works automatically ("Ghost Touch").

I have sent this phone to service station they have replaced my screen but still this is happening whenever I charge my phone.

Reply fast as I have limited time of warranty left so that I can get my phone repaired..

My IMEI no is : 354115070063464

Options

1 Posts

04-10-2017

United States of America

1 Signins

9 Page Views

• Views: 9
  • Message 18 of 20

2017-04-10, 12:55 PM

Agreed! Being phone-less for more than a day is completely unacceptable. Why are there no local, authorized repair centers? Best Buy has it's own Geek Squad, and it's Apple certified so why not Moto?

I have had nothing but Motorola phones for a decade. My last Moto G2 worked flawlessly for 5 years. The battery finally died so I purchased the G4 (not Plus) on the same day (July 30, 2016). It now has severe ghost touch issues in a single spot on the screen.

Based on my research, I will not buy another Motorola phone and will replace this with something reliable in the very near future. Reasons: the lack of acceptable repair options, feedback on the forum supports the fact that "repair" doesn't seem to fix the problem, Lenovo's seeming reluctance to disclose the details of the actual problem, and the complete nosedive in product quality since Lenovo took over Motorola, .

Options

61 Posts

02-25-2015

Canada

42 Signins

442 Page Views

• Views: 442
  • Message 19 of 20

2017-04-11, 4:24 AM

I created a thread asking what causes the Ghost touch problem and what component is removed and replaced to fix the problem and never got one official answer.

The reason being that if the answer was "replace the screen" for example, then logical follow-up questions like "do you replace the screen with a different more robust screen, or with the exact same screen?"  would reveal if you really could trust that Lenovo has properly solved this problem.

Here's some facts about the ghost touch problem:

It happens whether your phone is attached to a charger or not attached.

It started with the Moto G3 line and continued into every variation of the G4 line.

Use these facts to determine if you want to risk buying the G5 or any other Moto phones.

Options

61 Posts

02-25-2015

Canada

42 Signins

442 Page Views

• Views: 442
  • Message 20 of 20

2017-04-12, 8:30 AM
And now there's a thread on Moto G5/G5 plus board about a user's brand new G5 also exhibiting Ghost Touch.
This seems to be the problem that will wipe out the Moto brand.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms