Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

Motorola Community

Moto G PhonesMoto G4 / Moto G4 Plus / Moto G4 Play
All Forum Topics
Options

21 Posts

10-02-2016

United States of America

31 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 1 of 20

Verizon Moto G Play XT1609 - Advanced Calling VoLTE HD Voice

2016-10-02, 20:14 PM

Anyone know if this is "supported"? I keep getting pushback from Verizon saying to check the "list of supported devices" but I know any LTE phone should be able to do this. What do I need to do? 

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 2 of 20

Re: Verizon Moto G Play XT1609 - Advanced Calling VoLTE HD Voice

2016-10-02, 20:32 PM

Just to be clear, any phone doesn't support VoLTE.  The phone must be built for it.

Typically, non-Verizon branded devices like yours can use VoLTE on Verizon but not Verizon's video calling.  First you have to enable it in your account.  It's a no-cost option.

BYOD has a ways to go before it lives up to the promise of customer choice.  U.S. carriers are slow learners.

Options

21 Posts

10-02-2016

United States of America

31 Signins

200 Page Views

• Message 3 of 20

2016-10-02, 21:26 PM

Sorry but I don't think you're familiar with this phone.

The Moto G Play XT1609 IS A VERIZON DEVICE. It is a Verizon branded Verizon packaged phone sold at a Verizon store. 

This is the problem I am running into. Nobody I have spoken to, including motorola or verizon seems to know what they're talking about. It is as if this phone was released with no awareness from anyone.

I've had 50 dollar phones on every other network that did VoLTE years ago. Verizon is the only issue. So I seriously doubt the phone needs to be specifically made for VoLTE. If it is an LTE phone, it should be VoLTE capable. That is my point. I suspect it is a carrier decision based on marketing and pricing, etc, and Verizon being who they are is holding out for some reason.

Options

12372 Posts

02-02-2016

United States of America

2935 Signins

20947 Page Views

• Views: 20947
  • Message 4 of 20

2016-10-02, 22:50 PM

Sorry, but I was unaware that Verizon was selling the G4 Play.  However, I am not incorrect that a phone must be built to support VoLTE.  

The Verizon version of the G4 Play is somewhat different from the carrier agnostic version.  I'm checking to see if it does have VoLTE support, but it's Sunday, so I probably won't hear until tomorrow.

Options

21 Posts

10-02-2016

United States of America

31 Signins

200 Page Views

• Message 5 of 20

2016-11-11, 20:04 PM

Anyone ever hear anything about this?

Options

2 Posts

11-12-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

24 Page Views

• Views: 24
  • Message 6 of 20

2016-11-12, 20:47 PM

Hi,

I came in search of info too, after just realizing that my brand new Moto G4 Play (XT1607) isnt allowing for talk and surf at the same time. 

I believe the XT1609 is the Verizon prepaid version, sold by by verizon. I got mine, unlocked version, on amazon a few days ago for $129.

Its a great phone, huge improvement from my "barely holding on by a thread" samsung galaxy s3 that ive been using for 4 years. BUT, on the Samsung i could talk and surf at the same time, no problem. (As well as my oroginal HTC Thunderbolt).

I've read on a few forums that the sim might be the issue. I'm using my original 4 year old micro sim, that i just slipped into the new moto, and everything worked right away, calls and LTE. But apparantly not at the same time. Maybe a new sim would fix the issue??

FYI I logged into MyVerizon account online. Theres nowhere to add the Advanced Calling features\HD Calling\VoLTE that some others have suggested. Doesnt show i have any compatible device.

Nor did I find any "Extended LTE Network" option in the phones settings anywhere.

BTW, there is no picture of the Moto G4 play in my profile either. Though if i dig deeper, it does say i have a model "XT1607" as my phone. 

So any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Options

1 Posts

12-03-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Views: 7
  • Message 7 of 20

2016-12-03, 4:26 AM

Hello. I found this thread while looking for the article below and signed up for this site just to reply as I've shared your pain. I noticed this issue recently when switching from a Lumia device to the Amazon Moto G4 on VZW.

You need to enable the menu options by going into the hidden menu via the dial pad. Follow the directions in this article. It has worked for me twice now (borrowed someone's phone to try Android then bought my own). 

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/12/tip-simultaneous-voice-and-data-now-works-on-nexus-6-with-verizon/

Good luck!

Options

21 Posts

10-02-2016

United States of America

31 Signins

200 Page Views

• Message 8 of 20

2017-01-04, 17:13 PM

I like how the guy says "There is a chance" you might need to add the HD voice feature to your verizon account. HELLO! OF COURSE you need to add the feature. And guess what? It isn't available on the G4 play! So this link does nothing for us. But thanks! ...The mystery of basic features on a Verizon phone continue!

Options

1485 Posts

08-11-2013

United States of America

694 Signins

8363 Page Views

• Views: 8363
  • Message 9 of 20

2017-01-04, 18:38 PM

wrote:

I like how the guy says "There is a chance" you might need to add the HD voice feature to your verizon account. HELLO! OF COURSE you need to add the feature. And guess what? It isn't available on the G4 play! So this link does nothing for us. But thanks! ...The mystery of basic features on a Verizon phone continue!

After 16 years as a VZW customer, they still make me crazy at times, like when they would NOT enable video calling for the Nexus 6, after waiting months just to get HD calling.

Found this post on a Reddit thread that does seem to address the possible issues with different variants of the Play, so it may be relevant to your inquiry. 

"Just wanted to let everyone know that the carrier agnostic version of the Moto G Play (NOT the VZW prepaid version) does not support Verizon HD Voice (it still supports CDMA and all Verizon bands + has VoLTE on T-Mobile).

The model number of this one is sold at Best Buy and Walmart and Motorola's site as the XT1607. This is the one with the unlockable bootloader and not the one from Amazon.

I needed the HD Voice and the flexibility to go between carriers along with the ability to root the device. Motorola told me in the specs that it is 100% compatible.

With VZW reducing CDMA voice channels where I live and LTE Band 13 propagating better versus overloaded CDMA 850/1900, without VZW VoLTE, it is not 100% compatible."

Options

3 Posts

01-04-2017

United States of America

15 Signins

151 Page Views

• Views: 151
  • Message 10 of 20

2017-01-04, 20:18 PM

I don't understand this as well.  I was actually shocked to find that a 4G phone today doesn't allow you the option to surf the web and talk at the same time. 

I purchased the XT1609 version from Best Buy, which is the prepaid version, where I subsequently spent $30 for one month's service and unlocked it to my postpaid account.  Phone is great for the price, but the lack of this feature is tough to deal with.  I even went to a VZ Corp store today and got a new SIM card, thinking that might be it, but not luck.  I also tried *#*#4636#*#* to unlock that testing menu, but it didn't open up any menus on my phone. 

Is there a possibility that this might be enabled in the future or is the phone just built this way and it will never work?

Has anyone had any luck surfing the web and talking on their phone, not using Wi-Fi of course, but the cellular data?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms