Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seadrift
Paper Tape
Views: 20,472
Message 1 of 15

Can't find ringtones folder

I've never come across this before, but I simply can't find my ringtones folder. Connected to PC, or using the file manager app there is simply no sign of this folder, although everything else is there. It must be somewhere, because I have all the included ringtones available in settings. I've a music file on the phone, all ready to copy & paste to the ringtones folder, but the folder is nowhere to be found! Any ideas? 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 20,648
Message 2 of 15

Re: Can't find ringtones folder

@seadrift wrote:

I've never come across this before, but I simply can't find my ringtones folder. Connected to PC, or using the file manager app there is simply no sign of this folder, although everything else is there. It must be somewhere, because I have all the included ringtones available in settings. I've a music file on the phone, all ready to copy & paste to the ringtones folder, but the folder is nowhere to be found! Any ideas? 

The built in ringtones folder is not user accessible. You simply create one yourself, and put your ringtones in it. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
seadrift
Paper Tape
Views: 20,423
Message 3 of 15

Wow, that was quick! 

So, it's not user accessible, but my instruction manual and numerous webpages & videos are showing people accessing the ringtones folder for a Moto G4 Smiley Frustrated

Can I just check with you; I create a folder called ringtones in 'this PC', 'moto G', 'internal storage', place my new ringtone in the folder, then it'll appear in my list of ringtones in 'settings'?

seadrift
Paper Tape
Views: 20,417
Message 4 of 15

Gah! Just wasted nearly an hour searching this site, my user manual, and t'internet! Search was not my friend.
I had already tried creating a ringtones folder, but it didn't work first time, now it does. Fortunately I already knew that a .wma file wouldn't work, and had my old ringtone in .ogg format............so now it's working fine. Thanks very much!
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 20,408
Message 5 of 15

@seadrift wrote:
Gah! Just wasted nearly an hour searching this site, my user manual, and t'internet! Search was not my friend.
I had already tried creating a ringtones folder, but it didn't work first time, now it does. Fortunately I already knew that a .wma file wouldn't work, and had my old ringtone in .ogg format............so now it's working fine. Thanks very much!

Glad you got it working.

I use MP3 myself, but ogg works and is the internal format on older phones. 

If you use an SD card, keep ringtones on internal storage, not SD - if the sd ever gets unmounted, corrupt, etc, no ringtones found. 

i usually create  folder called media then under that i have ringtones and another called notifications (if i want customer notification sounds)

If any of the videos or links you followed are motorola material,  I can ask someone to review or fix. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Wislndixie
Paper Tape
Views: 19,924
Message 6 of 15

Man, thank you so much for your help. Created the ringtone and notification folders in internal storage, loaded them up from my PC and it worked perfectly.

This is after I spent over an hour with consumer Cellular support and their solution was to go to the play store and download a "ringtone app". I didn't want to make a ringtone I already had one.

I don't understand how they could've made this phone without ringtone not being user accessible.

Thanks again

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 19,922
Message 7 of 15

@Wislndixie wrote:

Man, thank you so much for your help. Created the ringtone and notification folders in internal storage, loaded them up from my PC and it worked perfectly.

This is after I spent over an hour with consumer Cellular support and their solution was to go to the play store and download a "ringtone app". I didn't want to make a ringtone I already had one.

I don't understand how they could've made this phone without ringtone not being user accessible.

Thanks again

Stock android has required users to create their own ringtone folder folder for years. 

007india1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,418
Message 8 of 15

Hello Alpha,

I followed your steps and could change my notification tone. Now I want to reduce my notification tone volume as it is same as my ringtone volume. Is there a separate volume for Ringtone and Notification (message)?
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 16,415
Message 9 of 15

@007india1 wrote:
Hello Alpha,

I followed your steps and could change my notification tone. Now I want to reduce my notification tone volume as it is same as my ringtone volume. Is there a separate volume for Ringtone and Notification (message)?

Unfortunately ringtone and notification volume are tied together. I too wish google would separate them. 

007india1
Blue Screen Again
Views: 16,380
Message 10 of 15

Is there a way I can set ringtone for different timlelines in a day. I dont want high volume while in office where as when I'm outside i need a different ringtone that is hight in pitch. In older feature phones, this option is there by the way where we can have different user profiles for different timelines in a day.
Top Kudoed Authors