Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamW
What's DOS?
Views: 1,514
Message 1 of 5

Cannot access or view Moto G4 files on Window 7

I've just connected my fairly new Moto G4 via USB (no SD card yet)  to my Windows 7 Pro PC for the first time. It's recognised, to the extent that it appears in the list of devices in Windows Explorer and a list of Autoplay options appears includuing "view files". It also charges up

But when I click either of these options , a blank, empty Windows Explorer window apears , correctly headed Computer > Moto G (4) . None of the the files already on it are visible.

If I try draging a file into that window, I get a message box "Cannot copy item: The device has either stopped responding or been disconneted." Oh, and I've tried a second USB lead and port in case that was the problem, and restarted the Moto.

Ant suggestions, please

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,496
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cannot access or view Moto G4 files on Window 7

Every time you connect your phone to a computer, it connects in charge only mode for security purposes.

Connect to the computer, then swipe down the notification bar on the phone and find the one that says the phone is in charge only mode.  From there, you can change to MTP or PTP mode which will allow for the exchange of files.

GrahamW
What's DOS?
Views: 1,416
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your reply, which has enabled me to transfer files. 

Just a couple of comments.

This behaviour is different from other Android devices which I have used. Can I suggest that this could be made more clear to users, perhaps by a more prominet message on connection. I'm afraid that it did nt ocur to me to look in notifications.

I have to say that I'm not convinced that this behaviour is necessary for security. 

Thanks again for your help

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,412
Message 4 of 5

@GrahamW wrote:

Thanks for your reply, which has enabled me to transfer files. 

Just a couple of comments.

This behaviour is different from other Android devices which I have used. Can I suggest that this could be made more clear to users, perhaps by a more prominet message on connection. I'm afraid that it did nt ocur to me to look in notifications.

I have to say that I'm not convinced that this behaviour is necessary for security. 

Thanks again for your help

Google made this change and it is part of stock android. Other manufacturers are customizing the behavior.

As for security, I think it is very necessary because there are now USB ports everywhere for charging - Airports, Malls, concerts, festivals - there is always some kind of charging kiosk. If file transfer is the default action, it would be easy to take files off phones, or put files on. The user would never know. A USB port connected to a computer 20' away would look the same as a USB port that only charges. 

And most people, that saw a file on their phone that they ddn't recognize, would click on it first, and ask about later. 

I think there are lots of places that talk about this change in Android, but not everyone finds it, or looks for it before they run into a problem. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
mr1val
What's DOS?
Views: 206
Message 5 of 5

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to view files on my moto phone via USB. Thank you for posting the simple solution. I would have thought that my phone would have shown a notification at least hinting that I had this option. It would have saved hours of frustration. Thanks again!

@AlphaDog
Top Kudoed Authors