cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ae198
Paper Tape
Views: 3,274
Message 1 of 24

Computer won't recognize moto g4 plus. Help?

I've been googling about this and still can't figure it out. My laptop (acer if it matters, and windows 10) will recognize my iPhone and mp3 player just fine, but not my Moto. It will charge it, but that's it. I already double and triple checked to make sure I have a data sync cable instead of a charging-only cable.
Apparently there's supposed to be something about the USB connection after you pull down from the top of the screen in the notifications area, but there's nothing there. I don't see any options on what to do with the USB connection, and the phone doesn't even seem to realize there's a USB connected (if I go into "tethering & portable hotspot", it even says "USB not connected".)
The android software is up to date, and so is my computer and the USB ports. I installed something for my computer called "motorola device manager" and something on my moto called "file transfer" and those didn't help either. 
Could it have to do with how I haven't installed the SIM card yet? I'm trying to get everything set up and transferred before I actually activate the Moto on my phone service, but I thought it should at least recognize the phone. 

Any help? 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,236
Message 2 of 24

Re: Computer won't recognize moto g4 plus. Help?

Hi Ae198,

Could you try these steps let us know if this helps? Is this your new device? Have you already set up your phone? 

Meanwhile, would you please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Please check the link and update your profile here. Thanks!

Thanks,
Swaraj

Motorola Support

Highlighted
LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,212
Message 3 of 24

I tried to follow the 'steps' indicated but my phone does not have those options.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,210
Message 4 of 24

Now I have to ask: have you ever modded your phone in any way at all? 

Next, please tell us, step-by-step, what happens when, starting from scratch, you try to hook the phone up to your Windows computer to transfer files back and forth.  We need to know exactly where it fails.

And you're absolutely, positively sure that you don't see a message like this in your notifications?

LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,207
Message 5 of 24

I am just setting up this phone I put into service Monday. It had not been modified in any way. I have a pull down screen similar to that but not exactly as pictured. When I plug my phone into my windows 10 computer, the computer makes a noise and shows Moto G4 is attached but there are no files available in the phone nor will it sync.
LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,208
Message 6 of 24

the phone does not give me the option of USB charging in the pull down menu.
ae198
Paper Tape
Views: 3,191
Message 7 of 24

No, I haven't modded it. And there aren't many steps, I simply plug it into my computer, and the lightning/battery symbol comes on in the upper right corner of my Moto indicating that it's charging. Nothing else happens on my phone or laptop. The laptop doesn't even make the sound like it does when I plug in my iPhone. And I'm sure there's no notification - I even delete any other notifications that come up so I can see if there's anything about the USB, but there never is. And the phone doesn't show up under "devices and drives" in "this PC" like it should. 

LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,187
Message 8 of 24

I have exactly the same issue
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,158
Message 9 of 24

@ae198 wrote:

No, I haven't modded it. And there aren't many steps, I simply plug it into my computer, and the lightning/battery symbol comes on in the upper right corner of my Moto indicating that it's charging. Nothing else happens on my phone or laptop. The laptop doesn't even make the sound like it does when I plug in my iPhone. And I'm sure there's no notification - I even delete any other notifications that come up so I can see if there's anything about the USB, but there never is. And the phone doesn't show up under "devices and drives" in "this PC" like it should. 

If device manager shows nothing for the phone, then we're most likely facing a hardware issue in one of three places: the USB port on the PC, the cable, or the port on the phone.

Have you tried the other USB ports on the PC?  Sometimes they're not all configured the same. 

Have you tried using your PC and cable with someone else' phone? 

Do you have a Moto two-piece charger (the kind where the cable connects by USB to the wall plug)?  If so, I'd try with that cable (in the past, Moto phones have been known to be fussy about the cables they like; I haven't had a problem in the last few years, but you never know...) 

Have you tried your phone and cable with someone else's computer?

We just need to narrow down the possibilities, changing one thing at a time, to be sure we find the right cause of the problem.

LeatherBikerG
Paper Tape
Views: 3,155
Message 10 of 24

I have tried all of those suggestions. My previous mobile device worked properly when connected to the computer.I have tried both USB ports on the computer as well as another computer with no difference in the results. I am using the USB cable included with the charger plug to connect. The computer recognizes the phone but the phone does not acknowledge being connected to the computer. It does not try to charge when connected. I think the problem is in the phone USB port as the phone also does not recognize when a USB stick is plugged into it. It does charge properly when plugged into AC outlet.
Top Kudoed Authors