Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MotorolaExpertN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,107
Message 1 of 46

Confusion regarding Android N update

I started this thread in order to stop all the confusions regarding the Android N update..

I would also like to request everyone to go through the below link before posting any further post regarding Android N.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10/22/psa-android-7-0-nougat-not-officially-moto-g4-g4-plus/

Matt is in the news for not a very good reason( see the lines underlined in red). :-)

scr.jpg

So, the ultimate thing is that. Android N is not yet officially out for Moto G4 plus. Some people who have recieved the update was part of the soak test (Motorola Feedback Network). Motorola admins and moderators could have given this explanation much earlier when this thing(confusion) was mentioned for the FIRST time in this forum. Instead they started to ban users and locking threads.

Motorola should learn to handle things more delicately. There are hundreds may be thoudsands of users who have queries regarding the Android N update. How many of them you think you can block?? That is not the right way Matt. Threatening will not do. U need to be more polite with the customers. I know you are a Motorola Employee from USA.

Now , I can see that moderators are giving explanations in every thread related to Android N, regarding the SOAK test.. But this could have been given much earlier instead of COMPLETELY denying about the update.

Nithin0072
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,079
Message 2 of 46

Re: Confusion regarding Android N update

I have been following the forum threads and news regarding the nougat update for the g4plus for the past few days.And i have also noted some moto employees threatening users who queried about it.Moto should have released the release notes after the official ota update was rolled out.The release note page also mentioned about ota update instructions which caused further confusions.Moto should try to handle forum questions more delicately.

Kau_adh96
SCSI Port
Views: 1,043
Message 3 of 46

Off topic, but i have registered my device to mfn a few days back and i havent got any option for opting in for the motorola feedback network. Do i have to wait for a perticular period of time to get that option?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 919
Message 4 of 46

I think this thread may have added a bit to the confusion.

Talking about soak tests in general, every single person involved in one agrees to keep absolutely quiet about it.  They can't say what happens, they can't even say that they know there's a test running, and they can't talk about it publicly ever, not even after it's over.  The public's desire for information does not override that.  

Problems with soak tests would never happen if the participants who agreed to not disclose the information kept their promise.  These people give their word, and then break it.  I have to wonder about people like that... don't they have any integrity?  Is it okay with everyone here when someone reveals your secrets?  Every time someone breaks the silence of a test, they put the entire program at risk.  Is that what you want?  No more MFN?

Next, if a user continues to break the forum rules, they are first reminded about the rules, usually several times, and if they refuse to comply, they are removed from the forum.  That's not a bad thing.  There are a lot of users in this forum and we have to be respectful of all of them.  We can only do that by guiding everyone to abide by the rules.  If they refuse, they have to go.  And the rules allow arguments, debates, disagreements and bad-mouthing Moto.  You have to be really nasty to get banned.

Finally, joining the MFN doesn't automatically include you in a test.  Each test has its own requirements for how many people can participate.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 903
Message 5 of 46

This absolutely does not imply that the forum members who would not stop posting links and insisting the rollout had begun were justified in doing so. They were not.

The admins have been saying from the beginning that this was not an official update, but many individuals REFUSED to listen. This was not "denial." It was the simple truth. And yes, threads were locked, and people were warned to stop posting because all they were doing was spreading rumors and causing more and more confusion. Your post failed to quote the article, by the way... which is more proof that the admins were absolutely correct: 

"The file can apparently also be flashed on the standard G4, but some important things such as WiFi will be broken."

The ACTUAL "Motorola Experts" in this forum were trying to prevent just this sort of mistake. Those who stubbornly and unreasonably continued to post that the software could be downloaded and flashed may have irrresponsibly caused harm to other users' phones. 

It is pretty hard to be "delicate" with users who won't follow the rules after several warnings.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 893
Message 6 of 46

@Nithin0072 wrote:

I have been following the forum threads and news regarding the nougat update for the g4plus for the past few days.And i have also noted some moto employees threatening users who queried about it.Moto should have released the release notes after the official ota update was rolled out.The release note page also mentioned about ota update instructions which caused further confusions.Moto should try to handle forum questions more delicately.

I am sorry but i disagree. The users that were threatened were those that leaked software - the rules of the forum forbid posting links to unofficial software and providing instructions to unofficial software.

If this were a legitimate software release, and users provided links or instructions to side loading an OTA file, they would still be in violation. And they would be told they would be banned if they continued. 

Also, in many places users were told that the release is NOT out and the update instructions were incorrect or premature. But many users wanted to argue. They insisted that because the notes were out, the update must be real.

Users on this forum were repeatedly told the update was not out and not real. Where is the confusion? What should have been handled more delicately? The truth is the truth. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
MotorolaExpertN
Fanfold Paper
Views: 892
Message 7 of 46

I completely agree with you. Os shouldn't be side loaded. But people were confused becoz news abt the update spread out everywhere. Not only in this forum .

IMG_20161023_191418.jpgsee this. This is from the Facebook official page. In the link it is mentioned that Motorola have started rolling out updates. Why they did this?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 879
Message 8 of 46

And again, people asked on this forum, and they were told many times it was not rolling out regardless of what was published. 

Some people made mistakes, and this was stated.

But most users decided it was a conspiracy and that all the moto Mods and the forum manager was wrong. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 878
Message 9 of 46

And it doesn't help that blogs just republish each others stories, and some even link to pirated software and call it official. 

There will probably be thousands of people that sideloaded some software that is either malware, or forces them to miss real updates. 

That is why we warn - people think sideloading an OTA is safe. It is not, never has been. Never will be. Moto phones are different then Nexus phones. 

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 876
Message 10 of 46

@MotorolaExpertN

I could care less about Facebook. We're talking about this forum, which has rules to which you agreed.

It was stated that the update was not official and people should not try to download it. It WAS NOT official.

It was stated that no one was permitted to post links to software. They did it anyway.

It was stated that people who kept ignoring the admins risked being banned. They did it anyway.

You can post all the pictures you want, or links to articles (which included the FACT that the unoffical software

could "break" functions.) But you didn't include that part, did you?

Nothing you can say, or post, can excuse the discourtesy and disrespect that some users showed, not only to the admins, but to all of us by refusing to adhere to the rules.

Top Kudoed Authors