Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bristba2
Paper Tape
Views: 392
Message 1 of 14

Fear that Moto g4 hacked / corrupted from bad wifi

Dear forum,

I recently connected my moto g4 to an unknown wifi network. Since then, it's been playing up: ghost touches, and freezing a couple of times. I wonder if it has somehow been corrupted / hacked from the wifi network? Should I do a full reset - or is there an anti-virus app I could run? Do you think it is perhaps unrelated - what are the chances of being hacked through a wifi network?

Thanks for any help with this.

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 366
Message 2 of 14

Re: Fear that Moto g4 hacked / corrupted from bad wifi

AFAIK phones cannot be,"Hacked" as such via WiFi as there would have to be malware software installed on the phone that they could access.Data can can be read illegally via WiFi but that's a different issue and why I use a,"VPN" when out and about using free WiFi.

I think the phone might just be a bit cluttered up and damamged data left over from updates.

Even when I get a brand new phone or the phone's O/S has been updated I back up my phone/s and do a Factory reset.

You can't beat a Backup and fresh start.I do one a couple of times a year even if my phones are running well as a kind of 10,000 mile service as it keeps my phones fast and problem free and gets rid of all the clutter I tend to acrue.Like most things the more often you do one the faster it is to return the phones to a great state.

HTH Smiley Happy

bristba2
Paper Tape
Views: 359
Message 3 of 14

OK, thanks, I'll try a factory reset. 

I have never done one before, so please advise about how to protect data. If I have backup on and connected to my Gmail account, I will be able to retrieve all data - contacts, messages, photos, etc - after doing the reset? I won't lose anything?

Highlighted
Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 357
Message 4 of 14

If you have a Google account and to be safe.Make sure you are logged in and then

Settings/Accounts/Google and untick and re-tick all the sync boxes.This will update all your contacts etc.

As a Second backup before a Factory reset I copy and paste stuff from my phone to my Computer/Laptop/PC.

For windows you can install the Motorola USB drivers,

https://www.androidusbdrivers.com/device/motorola/page/2/

Then using a USB cable(It must be a USB Data cable.Most are but some are charge only) you connect to the PC and use Windows Explorer and the phone should appear in My Computer or This PC section.You can copy pictures/sound files etc as if the phone were just another hard temp hard drive.

If you want to add another level of safety and you have an SD card installed on the phone you can use a backup app like,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en_GB

It does no harm to have more than one backup Smiley Happy

bristba2
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 5 of 14

OK thanks.

And once it's been reset it will quickly restore? Am I right in thinking that the only thing lost will be text messages (otherwise, music, photos etc) will be backed up?

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 352
Message 6 of 14

for Music and videos it's best if you can copy them to another device or use a search engine on how to use Google Drive as a backup as well.

Here's a good page,

https://howto-android.com/how-to-backup-your-moto-g6/

bristba2
Paper Tape
Views: 341
Message 7 of 14

Please help!

I have just installed Motorola Device manager from the motorola website. However, when I try connecting my G4 via USB to my laptop, I get the message: "the last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned and Windows does not recognise it". What's going on? The phone is charging so the USB cable works. Also, there is no notification offering to switch from charging to transfer - when I drag down the notification bar I don't get this.

When I open motorola device manager, I get a question about to I would to allow Device Software Update to make changes on this computer? I click "yes" and it says it is searching for updates but then I get a message saying Device Software Update may not be properly installed and to use compatibility mode instead?

Help

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 338
Message 8 of 14

Remove the Motorola USB drivers and try these,

http://adbdriver.com/downloads/

You can run the install file from within the zip file or extract it and run it.

They are the Universal Android drivers I use.For some reason the Lenovo/Motorola ones can give problems.

bristba2
Paper Tape
Views: 303
Message 9 of 14

Hi

I performed a factory reset. I backed up my apps. However, when they were restored, I lost the data and settings in them - so my conversations in whatsapp, for example. Is this normal?

Porphyrius
Broadband 3G
Views: 301
Message 10 of 14

@bristba2 wrote:

Hi

I performed a factory reset. I backed up my apps. However, when they were restored, I lost the data and settings in them - so my conversations in whatsapp, for example. Is this normal?

No.WhatsApp should have synced them.Check in it's settings.If not there,for the future make your WhatsApp syncs a couple of times a week to back them up Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Authors