Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffp50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,974
Message 11 of 322

Re: G4 play,gps not working

This is my 3rd Motorola G-4 Play.  The first one died (or could not charge).  The 2nd one the GPS deteriorated and eventually and essentially quit working.  This is my 3rd G-4 Play.  I have had a few months and the GPS is acting just like the previous G-4 Play.  Now constantly displaying 'GPS signal Lost' and 'searching for GPS'.  This is happening almost everywhere now.  It is now often lagging...tells me to turn after I have long passed where I should turn.  It is happening on roads I have previously traveled on numerous times. Did NOT have these problems on these roads before.  Just traveled to a town 25 miles away and had the same issues most of the way...before never a problem.  I contacted customer service and performed all tasks they requested, even re-downloading app. ...think they had me clear cache even? (US Cellular). 

My theory is that the receiver is drifting.  The fact that this happened on 2 of these G-4 Plays, that they BOTH exhibited the same problem says it us a G-4Play hardware issue.  The electronics is not aging (solid state plus disctete R/L/C's would not age...all I can think is that the receiver is drifting...perhaps out of alignment).  Please don't waste our time with blaming the app, clearing cache, re-loading the app.... 

This AND the last G4-play exhibits(ed) the same problem over time.  I should NOT have to purchase another phone.  ..have had problem before Christmas holidays (Dec 2017)...JeffP 1/20/18

Highlighted
jeffp50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,892
Message 12 of 322

This is my 3rd Motorola G-4 Play.  The first one died (or could not charge).  The 2nd one the GPS deteriorated and eventually and essentially quit working.  This is my 3rd G-4 Play.  I have had a few months and the GPS is acting just like the previous G-4 Play.  Now constantly displaying 'GPS signal Lost' and 'searching for GPS'.  This is happening almost everywhere now.  It is now often lagging...tells me to turn after I have long passed where I should turn.  It is happening on roads I have previously traveled on numerous times. Did NOT have these problems on these roads before.  Just traveled to a town 25 miles away and had the same issues most of the way...before never a problem.  I contacted customer service and performed all tasks they requested, even re-downloading app. ...think they had me clear cache even? (US Cellular). 

My theory is that the receiver is drifting.  The fact that this happened on 2 of these G-4 Plays, that they BOTH exhibited the same problem says it us a G-4Play hardware issue.  The electronics is not aging (solid state plus disctete R/L/C's would not age...all I can think is that the receiver is drifting...perhaps out of alignment).  Please don't waste our time with blaming the app, clearing cache, re-loading the app.... 

This AND the last G4-play exhibits(ed) the same problem over time.  I should NOT have to purchase another phone.  ..have had problem before Christmas holidays (Dec 2017)...JeffP 1/20/18

jeffp50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,961
Message 13 of 322

Is this the answer re GPS not working?  Either the receiver is drifting (see my post) or there us a contact issue (with antenna).  See my earlier post today.

Edited to remove link to modding information.

jeffp50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,959
Message 14 of 322

Could this be the issue (see my post te GPS quit working)?

Hardware issue:

Edited to remove link to modding information.

2manu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,786
Message 15 of 322

GPS has stopped working properly

Hi,

The GPS has been working like a charm for over one year in my G4 play. Time to first fix was less 10 seconds.

Since last week, it fails miserably: It takes more than 15 minutes to get a fix. It happens with maps and with several fitness tracking maps.

Settings are the same are they were before: High accuracy, and apps have permissions to use location services.

Apps can use Wi-Fi, cellular networks to determine the approximate location quickly. I do get a location with a margin error of 20 to 50 meters in a few seconds. 

I used several GPS fix apps to see if they helped, to no avail. They do get signal from 6 to 15 sats in a few seconds, but TTFF still very long.  It looks like only GPS is being used, not A-GPS.

It seems to me that the location determined by cellular/wifi and GPS are not communicating with each other to get a precise location quickly, as it did before.

I tried (twice) a factory reset, wiping everything, to no avail. I think this was caused by the recent update to Nougat, previously I had marshmallow. Factory reset does not install the original version, nougat is installed again.

This issue is quite annoying. You must wait more than 10 minutes to get correct driving directions. Fitness tracking apps are useless, unless you are willing to wait for a long time to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,767
Message 16 of 322

Re: GPS has stopped working properly

@2manuwrote:

Hi,

The GPS has been working like a charm for over one year in my G4 play. Time to first fix was less 10 seconds.

Since last week, it fails miserably: It takes more than 15 minutes to get a fix. It happens with maps and with several fitness tracking maps.

Settings are the same are they were before: High accuracy, and apps have permissions to use location services.

Apps can use Wi-Fi, cellular networks to determine the approximate location quickly. I do get a location with a margin error of 20 to 50 meters in a few seconds. 

I used several GPS fix apps to see if they helped, to no avail. They do get signal from 6 to 15 sats in a few seconds, but TTFF still very long.  It looks like only GPS is being used, not A-GPS.

It seems to me that the location determined by cellular/wifi and GPS are not communicating with each other to get a precise location quickly, as it did before.

I tried (twice) a factory reset, wiping everything, to no avail. I think this was caused by the recent update to Nougat, previously I had marshmallow. Factory reset does not install the original version, nougat is installed again.

This issue is quite annoying. You must wait more than 10 minutes to get correct driving directions. Fitness tracking apps are useless, unless you are willing to wait for a long time to start.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues that you are facing, could you try the above steps and let us know if that makes any difference. Could you also try to reset your device - press and hold the power key until your device reboots. Let us know if these make any difference.

Meanwhile, please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

2manu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,688
Message 17 of 322

Hi,

I switched off wifi scan and bluetooth scan, restarted the phone. 

The issue was not solved: it still takes 5 to 25 minutes to get a GPS lock. I tried with GPS apps (GPS locker and GPS essentials),  also with fitness apps (strava and sports tracker)

There are some improvements: sometimes (but not always) google maps gets a precise location quickly: It seems GPS is working properly, but when you check with other apps, it turns out it is not.

I also installed google fit, and a funny thing happens. Google fit tracks the full lengh of a workout, but only if the GPS Locker app is started. And this happens even when there is no GPS lock for part of the time. Sportstracker only recorded a portion of the workout (after GPS was locked).

I updated my profile with current phone, carrier and serial number, using Option 1: Register Your Motorola Products on our Website 

The options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on

It's okay that you look at my apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Thanks,

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 4,685
Message 18 of 322

@2manuwrote:

Hi,

I switched off wifi scan and bluetooth scan, restarted the phone. 

The issue was not solved: it still takes 5 to 25 minutes to get a GPS lock. I tried with GPS apps (GPS locker and GPS essentials),  also with fitness apps (strava and sports tracker)

There are some improvements: sometimes (but not always) google maps gets a precise location quickly: It seems GPS is working properly, but when you check with other apps, it turns out it is not.

I also installed google fit, and a funny thing happens. Google fit tracks the full lengh of a workout, but only if the GPS Locker app is started. And this happens even when there is no GPS lock for part of the time. Sportstracker only recorded a portion of the workout (after GPS was locked).

I updated my profile with current phone, carrier and serial number, using Option 1: Register Your Motorola Products on our Website 

The options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on

It's okay that you look at my apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Thanks,

Thank you for trying, and updating your profile, it does seem that the GPS is functioning well, as you mentioned it is only having an issue with few third-party apps, Please share us few apps name so we can try to replicate the concern and investigate further. However, google fit should work even without locking the GPS but will be slightly different in term of accuracy.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

2manu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,668
Message 19 of 322

Hi,

Third party app that first showed the issue was Sports tracker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stt.android&hl=en)

This app worked flawlessly for more than a year. Afterwards I tested strava. GPS locker and GPS essentials don't work either. They get signal from 6 to 16 satellites quickly, but cannot get a lock.

Also, google maps does not work as it used to. It improved after switching off wifi and bluetooth scanning, but it is still not getting a precise location as fast as it did before.

I got the phone on February 6 2017, and until February 10 2018 I had no issues. I noticed this issue on February 17 2018. In between February 10 and February 17 I got the Nougat update. This is why I blame it on the update. 

Is there a way to go back to the previous android version? That should solve the issue

Thanks for your help

ShutdownX
Punch Card
Views: 4,764
Message 20 of 322

Moto G4 play GPS

My GPS on my moto g4 play has gradually been getting worse and worse but recently it become completely unusable. It is on high accuracy but it can't maintain a constant connection so GPS apps do not work at all with it. From what I've been reading this is a hardware issue. Does anyone have any tricks to improve the GPS so it's at least useable?