Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pkeerthi015
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22,763
Message 6 of 322

G4 Play - GPS Issues - GPS not working

after feb security update gps fails to connect even in clear outdoor condition,in maps it shows 'searching for gps' quite often,can't commute.hard reset,safe mode didn't fix it.any solutions?

Kk
Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 20,789
Message 1 of 322

Moto G4 Play GPS Issues

I bought a Moto G4 Play on boxing day, and since the moment i have set it up, GPS isn't working as it should.  It seems to find where i am at first, but can't track me when i'm moving, which is when it then stops working.

Google Fit is working and when i check a walk it tells me the area that i've been walking in, but Google Maps/Waze/Here Drive just wont work as they should.

I've checked all my settings and i don't have anything restricted and my location services are set to high.

Any suggestions would be great?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 20,706
Message 2 of 322

Re: Moto G4 Play GPS Issues

@Reigns1989 wrote:

I bought a Moto G4 Play on boxing day, and since the moment i have set it up, GPS isn't working as it should.  It seems to find where i am at first, but can't track me when i'm moving, which is when it then stops working.

Google Fit is working and when i check a walk it tells me the area that i've been walking in, but Google Maps/Waze/Here Drive just wont work as they should.

I've checked all my settings and i don't have anything restricted and my location services are set to high.

Any suggestions would be great?

Hello Reigns1989,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This is certainly not typical. GPS may not connect or may take longer to connect while being used indoors. Please make sure that when you are attempting to use the GPS, you are in an open space. 

Please check the following Location settings.

Settings > Location > Mode > High Accuracy

Settings > Location > Three Dots > Scanning > Toggle Wi-Fi Scanning and Bluetooth Scanning OFF

After checking both location settings above, power cycle your phone, then test your GPS again. Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 20,697
Message 3 of 322

Hi JM,

Location was already on High Accuracy but i did toggle the 2 options for Wifi and Bluetooth to off and power cycled my phone but unfortunately this did not help.

Regards,

Adam

Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 20,668
Message 4 of 322

Hi JM,

There is a temporary solution for this that i found over on the Google forums where this error has been logged on a few phones.

- In Google Maps download the offline area of where you are driving / use HereWeGo that has full offline maps.

- Turn off mobile data.

- Turn location off and then on.

- Power cycle phone.

- Maps should work offline.

This is a temporary fix but it seems that the mobile data is somehow interfering with the phone's GPS.

Ignacio10
Fanfold Paper
Views: 20,381
Message 5 of 322

I have the same problem. I proved everything and does not work the GPS with 3 G signal. It is a problem from the Moto G 4 plus. I bought in Amazon ( october 2016 ) and the device IS ussed in Argentina. Please Lenovo solve this problem quickly. Thanks

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22,512
Message 7 of 322

Re: G4 play,gps not working

@pkeerthi015 wrote:

after feb security update gps fails to connect even in clear outdoor condition,in maps it shows 'searching for gps' quite often,can't commute.hard reset,safe mode didn't fix it.any solutions?

Hi pkeerthi015

Have you tried accessing the device help in an open area?

Phones GPS tracking is dependent on your phone's signal so if you are using this in a remote location, it would depend entirely on your service. But since this has happened after an update, I recommend doing a clear cache partition. You may also try resetting your network settings: Settings > Backup & Reset > Network Settings reset > Reset Settings. Hope it helps. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

pkeerthi015
Blue Screen Again
Views: 22,492
Message 8 of 322

Thank you, but that didn't help..

Kk
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 22,412
Message 9 of 322

@pkeerthi015 wrote:

Thank you, but that didn't help..

Hi pkeerthi015

Sorry for the delay in response. Kindly go to Settings > Apps > Maps > Uninstall updates. Try to go to maps again and see if you will still have the same error message. 

- Ella

jeffp50
Blue Screen Again
Views: 21,754
Message 10 of 322

This is my 3rd Motorola G-4 Play.  The first one died (or could not charge).  The 2nd one the GPS deteriorated and eventually and essentially quit working.  This is my 3rd G-4 Play.  I have had a few months and the GPS is acting just like the previous G-4 Play.  Now constantly displaying 'GPS signal Lost' and 'searching for GPS'.  This is happening almost everywhere now.  It is now often lagging...tells me to turn after I have long passed where I should turn.  It is happening on roads I have previously traveled on numerous times. Did NOT have these problems on these roads before.  Just traveled to a town 25 miles away and had the same issues most of the way...before never a problem.  I contacted customer service and performed all tasks they requested, even re-downloading app. ...think they had me clear cache even? (US Cellular). 

My theory is that the receiver is drifting.  The fact that this happened on 2 of these G-4 Plays, that they BOTH exhibited the same problem says it us a G-4Play hardware issue.  The electronics is not aging (solid state plus disctete R/L/C's would not age...all I can think is that the receiver is drifting...perhaps out of alignment).  Please don't waste our time with blaming the app, clearing cache, re-loading the app.... 

This AND the last G4-play exhibits(ed) the same problem over time.  I should NOT have to purchase another phone.  ..have had problem before Christmas holidays (Dec 2017)...JeffP 1/20/18

Top Kudoed Authors