01-30-2019 11:28 PM
Reading extensively here on the forum pages and elsewhere on the net, it does appear the GPS issue in moto g variants has more than one cause. And some have solved the problem while others have not. Take my case for instance. I started using Google Maps a few months back and the GPS was locking in and out erratically, mostly it was "searching for GPS" and that too only on "high accuracy mode" when obviously the phone was homing in on nearby cell towers to get a fix.. I first did all the usual things : Updated to latest edition of Google maps, updated to Nougat 7.1.1 with the June 18 security patch, cleared catche data, wiped the cache partition on the phone, but the problem persisted. Next, I installed the GPS Test app to check out the diagnosis. What I found was, the phone was detecting upto 20 plus satellites but the signal aquisition was very weak, at times the phone was using up to 6-7 satellites but the SNR were pathetic, mostly below 20 and hence struggling to lock in. I had read a few posts ( not sure in which forum) where people had referred to opening up their phones to work on the GPS antenna contact pads and said this worked for them. There were a couple of posts on just tightening the screws on the inner case, instead of opening it up and how that solved the problem for them. I took the 2nd easier option and did find SNR improving and GPS locking on Google more consistently and quicker but unfortunately, the effect would not last more than a day at best. That however convinced me that it was more a hardware problem involving the antenna contact pads at least in my case, not software related. I then experimented with placing small strips of cardboard inside the phone, in between the outer case and inner case, concentrating on the GPS antenna location and also on the opposite side, for balancing the pressure. Number of satellites identified increased, SNR improved dramatically, the GPS aquisition was quicker and the GPS worked smoothly with minimal fade outs on Google maps. So my advice to fellow sufferers, if everything else fail on the software side, you may like to experiment with my solution and hopefully it works! All the best.
08-05-2019 06:55 AM - edited 08-05-2019 06:57 AM
I have the same problems. GPS working properly sometimes, but sometimes with very low accuracy. I only bought this phone a year ago as a backup outdoor phone. I didn't want to mess with the antenna since still under warranty. I decided to send it it. Lenovo's repair service told me they got the same problem when they tried my phone. So they replaced the board (new IMEI) and appently checked the repaired phone and found no errors. However, I still have the same issues when I have no WIFI / Bluetooth / phone signal... so I will probably send it it again. Pretty frustrating. BTW: I tried the cardboard trick. Maybe I have done it wrong... but I got no better results...
I really like the phone, battery runtime is outstanding. But a couple of months ago I stood in the forest trying to find the spot where I was allowed to pitch my tent... and just could not get the gps reception to work.