Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rlg999
What's DOS?
Views: 2,289
Message 41 of 322

Re: Moto G4 play GPS

Not sure if this will help in your situation or not, but I removed the battery cover on my G4 play, then used a small jewelers screwdriver to "gently" tighten up all the phillips screws holding the back of the phone together. It seemed to help mine acquire the gps signal quicker. My GPS also started to get gradually worse, maybe the screws loosening up over time caused a poor connection to the GPS module and the antenna??  If you look closely at the upper right corner, you can see a black plastic module near the headphone jack that says GPS and some other stuff. That might be the GPS module or antenna. Don't crank down too hard on them or you risk stripping the head or the threads. Hope this helps!!

OmarMX
What's DOS?
Views: 1,899
Message 42 of 322

Re: GPS has stopped working properly

Hi.

Me too. GPS problem start after install official update (Android 7.1.1, NPIS26.48-36-2). With Marshmallow works very fine, I guess that is software issue, maybe driver.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2manu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,898
Message 43 of 322

Re: GPS has stopped working properly

No solution, I am afraid. 

Actually, yes: Xiaomi Mi A1 is one of the potential solutions

Norwal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,883
Message 44 of 322

Re: G4 play,gps not working

I have an update on our situation.  I was lucky because our GPS crapped out with one week left in our warrenties. (both on my wife's and my phones at the same time).  They had me do a factory reset a couple of times before agreeing to "fixing" them one phone at a time.  I sent my phone in and they did a "software flash", I assume that means they flashed the phone equivilant of a bias.  They obviously did no testing of the phone prior to returning it as still did not work.  They reloaded the phone with Android 7.1.1 and the security patch from Jan 2018.  It was after this patch that the GPS stopped working on both phones.  I called again and they tried to tell me my phone was now out of warrenty so I escalated to a manager who agreed the phone was still covered until the current issue was resolved.  They then had me call their level 2 repair centre who had me jump through some hoops with the phone until he deturmined, yeah it's still broken.  So I sent it to the Sevice Centre for a second time.  They sent back a "replacement unit", read refurbished phone.  I load everything back onto the phone and the GPS started to work as I walk around the house.  Sweet!  Wait a minute, let's go for a drive.  300 metre from home and guess what?  It froze and never recovered.  Any guess what software version and security patch the phone was loaded with?  yup, 7.1.1 and the security patch from Jan 2018.  I'm now waiting for their response to my latest email and sent them a link to this, their own forum.

Cheers

Ron

Moto_Gplay
Paper Tape
Views: 2,181
Message 45 of 322

G4 play,gps not working

First time user to these forms. Need help! Last weekend noticed my GPS for my Moto G play was not working and I believe it was after the security patch. Everything worked fine before that. Can someone Can  somebody help? It doesn't matter what app I use always says it's searching for location.

Norwal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,149
Message 46 of 322

G4 play,gps not working

Check out this link.  So far Motorola has not acknowleged that the patch has broken the GPS.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/G4-play-gps-not-working/td-p/3826107

ShutdownX
Punch Card
Views: 2,853
Message 47 of 322

They should let us downgrade back to android 6.1 until this is resolved.

Anonynonymous
Paper Tape
Views: 2,768
Message 48 of 322

I can confirm that Google Driving (Now known as Offline Map & Navigation) works while everything else I've tried doesn't. Which kinda suck since I really don't like its interface. And it's calculated ETA is simply overly optimistic. But this just confirms that it's something they did for the update that screwed things up software-wise.

So yeah, if you're having the same issue and really needs a working GPS for the time being. Search for Offline Maps & Navigation in play store. It's got some paid premium features but it's free if you just need to navigate around. The UI is pretty minimalistic, but it's a workable stopgap before they finally fix this issue.

MotoGgps
What's DOS?
Views: 2,696
Message 49 of 322

Offline Maps didn't help me.  Still no solution to this issue.  

Perhaps a 7.1.2 release or the next security "fix" may help?

Norwal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,669
Message 50 of 322

Update number 2.  After I reported that the GPS replacement phone they sent me stop working within an hour, they said that they were escalating my case to Level 3 and that someone would call me within a week.  Today I got a call followed by an email.  It appears that Motorola has finally realized that this is a software problem casued by their Security update from 1 Jan 2018.  Here is the email I recieved:

"This email is to inform you the update we have received after the escalation we did with your case.  Our team is already aware of the issue you are presenting on your Motorola phone.  At the moment our engineering team is currently working on a software update to fix this issue. We will keep you update it once it is ready."

Cheers everyone a fix is in the works.

Top Kudoed Authors