Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTaylor1
Punch Card
Views: 2,282
Message 51 of 323

Re: G4 play,gps not working

Following. My GPS has quit working. Tried a bunch of stuff. I assume it's a software issue and they will eventually creat a patch.

rahbeet
Paper Tape
Views: 1,472
Message 52 of 323

Re: GPS has stopped working properly

I have been researching this issue for the past couple of days: both my wife and I have the same make and model phone: Moto G4 Play. Android OS 7.1.1

About a week ago, roughly, both phones started to screw up while using Google Maps.

Google Maps seems to zero in on a location, but not always correctly. When a destination is entered there are no turn-by-turn directions: the map is "stuck" and only when you stop for 5 minutes will the phone attempt to zero in and then perhaps, maybe, sometimes...

The location settings are On, High Accuracy, blah, blah.

I NEED this functionality for my JOB. 

What is the fix?

2manu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,469
Message 53 of 323

Re: GPS has stopped working properly

I downgraded to android 6, all GPS-related problems were fixed. Maps works like a charm again!

Followed the instructions here: (removed)

Got the firmware from: (removed)

First thing to to do is to unlock the bootloader:

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-a

Edited for Site Rules violation: We do not allow links to and excessive discussion or promotion of any non-standard software loads for locked devices; and any discussion, links or instruction for updating Motorola device software other than those sanctioned by Motorola or in the areas designated for that activity.  -JM

MFe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,391
Message 54 of 323

No GPS position on moto g4

Hi there,

my moto g4 runs on Android 7.1.1 and has a GPS problem. No matter which GPS app (GPS status, OSMAnd+, GPS essentials, GPS data) I use, the problem is always the same. After several minutes of searching for the GPS/Glonass satellites the apps report that the signals of several satellites are being received and the satellites are marked as being tracked ("fixed"), but no position (longitue, latitude, height) is calculated, even not after an hour with up to twelve satellites in view. It doesn't help to download fresh A-GPS data. Of course, in the settings GPS is set to high accuracy.

Earlier, the GPS function of the phone worked well. Not as fast as an external GPS receiver, but it worked. I cannot see a connection to on update to the latest operating system, because shortly afterwards GPS still worked fine. The GPS receiveing unit in the moto g4 seems to  be ok, otherweise I wouldn't see the signals. In comparison to what an external receiver says, the data make sense.

Does anyone have a good suggestion?

Thanks and best regards,

MFe

GTaylor1
Punch Card
Views: 2,172
Message 55 of 323

Contaced Lenovo thru twitter. Sent me some links to download to laptop to allow a rescue flash. Spent better than an hour and gave up. You either connect via USB in developer mode or using "mobile assistant" scan a QR code.  (there are about 200 moble assistant apps in play store...which one?) I couldn't get either one to work. I surrender. Will just buy a different brand phone and turn off updates.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,302
Message 56 of 323

Re: No GPS position on moto g4

Hi MFe,

Please test GPS on Device Help. Kindly go to Device Help App > Fix > Hardware Test > look for GPS. Also please send us some screenshots of the tests conducted indoor and outdoor. Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

JM

Motorola Support

MFe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,278
Message 57 of 323

Hi Moto_JM,

thanks for coming back to me. As you advised I tested the GPS unit of my Moto g4 play with the device help app. You will find the requested screenshots attached. The result is as expected and already found in combination with other GPS apps.

1. When indoors, no GPS/Glonass satellites are found and no satellite data/no position is displayed. Sor far, so good.

2. When outdoors, the signals of some (in that specific case six) satellites (GPS and Glonass) are received, but no position is displayed, not even after a long time of waiting.

Another screenshot shows the short messages displayed by the usual Android icons on top left of the screen.

One more question for my understanding: Do you know where the position actually is calculated from the satellite signals? In the GPS module, which then issues the NMEA sentences to be processed by other apps? Or outside the GPS module by the operating system?

Does the observed behaviour hint at a defect of the GPS module?

Thanks for your assistance and kind regards,

MFe

MFe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,271
Message 58 of 323

another screenshot

MFe
What's DOS?
Views: 1,269
Message 59 of 323

and the screenshot for indoor use

jcecampbell
Paper Tape
Views: 1,994
Message 60 of 323

I've been through two of these phones for the GPS problem. I had the first one replaced under warranty, and now the second one is having the same problem.  GPS is unusable. 

Top Kudoed Authors