Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GTaylor1
Punch Card
Views: 1,768
Message 61 of 321

Re: G4 play,gps not working

The March 1st update killed it. Lenovo twitter support sent me some links to do a "rescue". Can't make that work. I surrender. Will buy a different brand phone at some point.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Android-Yoga-Series-Tablets/Lenovo-MOTO-Smart-Assistant/td-p/3779752

This was my result also.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,375
Message 62 of 321

Moto G4 Play GPS issues

Did Motorola solve the GPS fix problems of the Moto G4 Play with the last March 2018 Security patch? Is the March 2018 Security patch for the whole world avwilable or just for Verizon phones?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,520
Message 63 of 321

Re: Moto G4 Play GPS issues

@Anonymous_User wrote:

Did Motorola solve the GPS fix problems of the Moto G4 Play with the last March 2018 Security patch? Is the March 2018 Security patch for the whole world avwilable or just for Verizon phones?

Motorola never said there was any kind of GPS software problem or fix. Reading the other threads listed below, the fix that moto reps suggest is service. Other users have said tightening screws under the cover fixed their issue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Anonynonymous
Paper Tape
Views: 1,471
Message 64 of 321

Re: Moto G4 Play GPS issues

It was working perfectly until March update for everyone on that other thread. Did that update somehow loosen the screw?

mrfixit2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,311
Message 65 of 321

Re: Moto G4 Play GPS Issues

Me too. The GPS on my Moto G4 Play stopped working after the Android 7.1.1 update. The battery is also draining fast, due to background apps continuously trying to update their location info. @Lenovo support: this is a software issue in the latest release, please provide a fix.

kt1015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,278
Message 66 of 321

Same issue here.  G4 Play that has worked great since purchase (including GPS).  Installed the recent Android 7.x update, and the GPS hasn't worked since.  Phone often gets hot in my pocket now (and like other posts, my suspicion is that apps are constantly trying to "locate", but can't).

MOTOROLA/LENOVO:  PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP!!  Either issue a patch, or give us CLEAR instructions (and files) to revert back to Android 6 (which worked great). 

I am hoping for a quick solution -- otherwise, I will find another phone and will never again buy another Motorola/Lenovo product.  I have pretty much used nothing but Samsung phones over the past 7-8 years, and thought I'd give this one a try (features & price).  And again, it was quickly becoming my favorite (since it "just worked").  But after this GPS fiasco, it is going downhill quick.  (GPS is a non-negotiable -- I just went on an out-of-state driving trip and it was extremely stressful not having a working GPS)

Thanks...

KT

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,259
Message 67 of 321

@kt1015 wrote:

Same issue here.  G4 Play that has worked great since purchase (including GPS).  Installed the recent Android 7.x update, and the GPS hasn't worked since.  Phone often gets hot in my pocket now (and like other posts, my suspicion is that apps are constantly trying to "locate", but can't).

MOTOROLA/LENOVO:  PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP!!  Either issue a patch, or give us CLEAR instructions (and files) to revert back to Android 6 (which worked great). 

I am hoping for a quick solution -- otherwise, I will find another phone and will never again buy another Motorola/Lenovo product.  I have pretty much used nothing but Samsung phones over the past 7-8 years, and thought I'd give this one a try (features & price).  And again, it was quickly becoming my favorite (since it "just worked").  But after this GPS fiasco, it is going downhill quick.  (GPS is a non-negotiable -- I just went on an out-of-state driving trip and it was extremely stressful not having a working GPS)

Thanks...

KT

Thank you for your feedback, just to confirm are you facing these on google maps or any other apps too? Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Update your profile -link

Hi, mrfixit2,

Thank you for reporting the issue, please be informed that we have shared the details with our product team who will further look into the same, we might need additional information or logs in regards to the same. We will keep you posted, in the meantime please keep us posted on the issue and if you have tried any temporary fix to the same. Could you also confirm the above? 

Thanks,

-Swaraj

kt1015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,355
Message 68 of 321

GPS issues occur with Google Maps, Waze, Offline Maps. GPSTest app indicates "No Fix" regardless of where I am at the moment. My wife has the exact same phone (still on Android 6 -- she has not installed the update) and her GPS works perfectly.

Profile has been updated (however, my phone is a Moto G4 "Play", which was not an option in the dropdown list). Motorola Privacy settings are (and have been) ON. Feel free to look at the apps installed.
mrfixit2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,330
Message 69 of 321

Hello Moto_Swaraj, thanks for your quick action. I'm very happy with my phone apart from the GPS issue, pity to see others trashing it online. I've updated my profile and security settings as requested, OK for you to check. I've noticed the issue with Google Maps and HereWeGo. Both the GPS Status and GPS Test apps never show a GPS location fix, whereas my other Android 6 phone gets one in 10-20s indoors, outdoors faster.

kt1015
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,298
Message 70 of 321

Some additional information here:

My wife's phone (identical G4 Play) upgraded (yesterday) to Android 7.1.1, and her GPS still appears to work fine.  She does NOT, however, have the March 1, 2018 Security update installed (although it has downloaded and is ready to install).  Her "android security patch level" still shows December 2017.

So perhaps the GPS issue was introduced with the March 1, 2018 security update?  I told my wife to NOT install the update (even though that would be an obvious test to prove/disprove this theory).  At least ONE of us needs a working GPS...

Kevin T.

Top Kudoed Authors