Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FarranUK
Paper Tape
Views: 9,181
Message 1 of 12

Headphone jack not working

Hi there,

Recieved my phone about a week or so ago and have only just tried it with my headphones and have discovered it does not work with my headphones (hyperx 2).

I hear through the headphones when it makes connection to the headphone jack as you would with an ipod or any other phone but if I try to play music it comes through the phone speaker instead of my headphones.

what the hell basically? Is this common issue and is there a way around this? 

If not then why the hell do they use such awful headphone jacks on a £260 phone? I haven't had this issue with anything before, including £10 phones from tescos.

This has seriously irritated me as I was wanting to use my phone for my music while traveling and I cannot do that now.

My headphones have been tried and tested in 4 different phones, my laptop and my desktop and works with no issue so please don't tell me its an issue with my headphones as it is obviously the phone at fault.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,143
Message 2 of 12

Re: Headphone jack not working

@FarranUK wrote:

Hi there,

Recieved my phone about a week or so ago and have only just tried it with my headphones and have discovered it does not work with my headphones (hyperx 2).

I hear through the headphones when it makes connection to the headphone jack as you would with an ipod or any other phone but if I try to play music it comes through the phone speaker instead of my headphones.

what the hell basically? Is this common issue and is there a way around this? 

If not then why the hell do they use such awful headphone jacks on a £260 phone? I haven't had this issue with anything before, including £10 phones from tescos.

This has seriously irritated me as I was wanting to use my phone for my music while traveling and I cannot do that now.

My headphones have been tried and tested in 4 different phones, my laptop and my desktop and works with no issue so please don't tell me its an issue with my headphones as it is obviously the phone at fault.

If you have tried multiple pairs of headphones, and the problem persists in safe mode, and after a reset without restoring apps, then you likely have a hardware problem and need service.  

There is no work around if issue is hardware.  

Mine works the hell fine and it does for most others, so it is not a common issue. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Harshal27
SCSI Port
Views: 9,134
Message 3 of 12

First of all,don't panic ,thing is moto now a days "2015 onwards" started using a tight jack. Problem is ,you're not pushing it in enough, no pins should be visible from out side ,so kindly plug it in properly.Yes! You've to apply more force. If this doesn't work, clear cache partition from recovery, change your music player app" try Poweramp" . Thus ,as it's not plugged in properly phone will route audio through speakers instead 🙄.
Unknown person
FarranUK
Paper Tape
Views: 9,120
Message 4 of 12

It's just I've seen multiple posts of people having similar issues, one person getting 5 phones in a row with the same issue.. so i think it is fairly common actually, obviously just with people with certain types of headphones it would seem.
FarranUK
Paper Tape
Views: 9,120
Message 5 of 12

That is not the issue, and the top of the phone is rounded so you're always going to see the the pin..
FarranUK
Paper Tape
Views: 9,115
Message 6 of 12

Having done another look online today it would seem you cannot use headphones with 3 rings round the pin and only the 2 rings get proper connection due to the design of the phone, so my point still stands.. what the hell?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,112
Message 7 of 12

@FarranUK wrote:

Having done another look online today it would seem you cannot use headphones with 3 rings round the pin and only the 2 rings get proper connection due to the design of the phone, so my point still stands.. what the hell?

No, i have usee 2 different sets with a mic - 3 ring - no problems

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,111
Message 8 of 12

But there 2 diferent standards. Some sony phones used the pattern with mic and ground reversed - i think it was OMTP or somethin like that.  If you had headphones of this standard they wouldnt work. 

FarranUK
Paper Tape
Views: 9,109
Message 9 of 12

Well I just used a 3.5 audio extension lead which ends in 2 rings from my phone to my headphones and that works fine so I guess I shall have to craft some sort of mini adapter for my headphones out of an extension lead, but this shouldn't be necessary in the first place to be honest.
Maybe Motorola should start including adapters with their phones for this issue.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 9,107
Message 10 of 12

@FarranUK wrote:
Well I just used a 3.5 audio extension lead which ends in 2 rings from my phone to my headphones and that works fine so I guess I shall have to craft some sort of mini adapter for my headphones out of an extension lead, but this shouldn't be necessary in the first place to be honest.
Maybe Motorola should start including adapters with their phones for this issue.

I have 2 sets of different branded 3 ring headphones that work fine - if your adapte works, but headphones don't then there is some compatability with your brand of headphones. 

Although there are some posts with users having problems, 99% of the Moto G owners are not having problems, so it still appears that there is something unusual about your set of headphones. 

Top Kudoed Authors