Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jo211
Paper Tape
Views: 4,376
Message 1 of 6

How to switch on MTP mode

I am trying to transfer photos from my Moto G4 Play to my iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5. using Android file transfer. The iMac fails to detect the phone when connected by cable or asks me to turn it on. Sometimes I see a blank file on screen. From other topics I suspect I may need to turn on MTP mode on the phone. To do this I am told to swipe down from the Status bar

The problem is that when I swipe down from the status bar I only see things ranging from Volume, Internet to Cast,Torch and Location etc. No sign of anything to do with USB ( or settings to switch to MTP )

If I try under Settings I find "Storage and USB" which is the only mention of USB I can find on the phone. However this only seems to tell me how much memory the phone is using.

By the way I have tried all 4 ports on the Imac and 2 cables connections.

Please help

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,364
Message 2 of 6

Re: How to switch on MTP mode

@Jo211 wrote:

I am trying to transfer photos from my Moto G4 Play to my iMac running Yosemite 10.10.5. using Android file transfer. The iMac fails to detect the phone when connected by cable or asks me to turn it on. Sometimes I see a blank file on screen. From other topics I suspect I may need to turn on MTP mode on the phone. To do this I am told to swipe down from the Status bar

The problem is that when I swipe down from the status bar I only see things ranging from Volume, Internet to Cast,Torch and Location etc. No sign of anything to do with USB ( or settings to switch to MTP )

If I try under Settings I find "Storage and USB" which is the only mention of USB I can find on the phone. However this only seems to tell me how much memory the phone is using.

By the way I have tried all 4 ports on the Imac and 2 cables connections.

Please help

You need to install android file transfer from google.  When you connect and swipe down you should see this. 8A288B74-812F-45E7-9CEA-FBE145E7D410.PNGit may be at the bottom of a long list of notifications.  So clear all, and it should be left. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Jo211
Paper Tape
Views: 4,333
Message 3 of 6

thanks for reply AlphaDog but I am confused. Sorry. I already have Android file transfer on my iMac which I thought i had made clear in my original post. so do i need to install it on my phone as well? i tried....the file is there but phone tells me it cant be opened.....perhaps because i did not drag it to applications...because i cant find anything to drag.

Meanwhile with phone connected and swiping down i do not see anything like ........

"USB charging this device'

nor do i see any notifications save one from google saying Account action required which has been there for weeks. 

and Android file transfer on the iMac is still telling me to connect my device.

could it be a faulty cable although i have tried two? or could it be a charge only cable (it is charging phone).the Moto g4 play only came with charger cable attachedUSB  to three pin european plug so i am connecting with my wife's phones cable.

please clarify further

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 4,323
Message 4 of 6

@Jo211 wrote:

thanks for reply AlphaDog but I am confused. Sorry. I already have Android file transfer on my iMac which I thought i had made clear in my original post. so do i need to install it on my phone as well? i tried....the file is there but phone tells me it cant be opened.....perhaps because i did not drag it to applications...because i cant find anything to drag.

Meanwhile with phone connected and swiping down i do not see anything like ........

"USB charging this device'

nor do i see any notifications save one from google saying Account action required which has been there for weeks. 

and Android file transfer on the iMac is still telling me to connect my device.

could it be a faulty cable although i have tried two? or could it be a charge only cable (it is charging phone).the Moto g4 play only came with charger cable attachedUSB  to three pin european plug so i am connecting with my wife's phones cable.

please clarify further

I would suggest trying other cables and make sure you are not plugged into a hub. 

When i plug any android phone into my mac, AFT launches. on my Mac as soon as i unlock the phone. I get a warning that says "can't access device storage" from AFT. When i tap the USB option shown, and switch to file transfer, then I can see phone contents in AFT. 

Since AFT is a DMG file, it is on a disk image. you may have to install it. But even if you never open AFT, you should get that USB notification on your phone. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Jo211
Paper Tape
Views: 4,305
Message 5 of 6

Again thank you for the reply. I will have to go out and buy a new cable as neither of the ones I have tried seem to be working.

AFT does not open when phone unlocked. When I open it manually it tells me to attach a USB cable!

Not sure about HUB. Mac is a home computer attached to a router from my service provider so assume this is not an issue.

Nor do I get a USB notification on my phone. It is charging and phone tells me how long until it is fully charged. Nothing else which is why I now suspect it is a charge only cable because I understand from another blog which I read before this post, that such things do exist.

On my way to buy!!!!!!!!

chandramohan12
What's DOS?
Views: 158
Message 6 of 6

USB cable not inserted
Phone boots up.
No apps running.
Select Settings...Apps
Select 3 dot menu top right
Show System