Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
de5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62,886
Message 1 of 24

I can't transfer files from my pc to Moto G plus phone

I am trying to copy and paste MP3 files from my pc to moto G plus phone. I connect phone to pc using usb cable that came with phone. I log into phone.

pc recognizes phone as "Moto G (4)". Strange thing-when I right click on "Moto G (4), Win 7 does not give drive size. Win 7 only shows phone name, firmware version 1, serial number, and power source. Then windows 7 auto play pops up.

I select open device to view files. I then copy several MP3 files from my pc and paste into open window for "Moto G (4)". A mesage appears-cannot copy files. The device has either stopped working or has been disconnected. I tried copying microsoft Excel and Word files. Message says cannot copy files.

This is my first android phone. Could someone tell me how to fix the problem. Thank you very much.

De5

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 62,693
Message 2 of 24

Re: I can't transfer files from my pc to Moto G plus phone

When you connect your phone to your computer, look in the notification bar on the phone, and you should see a message that says the phone is in charge only mode.  Change that to MTP, and everything should work.

de5
Fanfold Paper
Views: 62,684
Message 3 of 24

Solution worked, thank you. I am able to play music files on phone but not able to open Microsoft Word and Excel files. Could someone let me know what needs to be done.
neelsengupta
What's DOS?
Views: 60,702
Message 4 of 24

How do I change that?

Highlighted
mb1952
Paper Tape
Views: 55,684
Message 5 of 24

Brilliant! Thank you! (First hours with new phone!)
Kiev88cm
Paper Tape
Views: 55,617
Message 6 of 24

Thank you this helped me with my first "smart phone".

duffs
Paper Tape
Views: 55,365
Message 7 of 24

Think your problem maybe that your files are not supported by motorola with the DROID XYBOARD 10.1

You need to download a WMA supported app player 

try 

VLC FOR ANDROID
WMA MUSIC PLAYER
 321 MEDIA PLAYER
 ROCKET PLAYER

PLENTY THERE  just type WMA music player on the play store

Waterman95623
Paper Tape
Views: 49,557
Message 8 of 24

What if you do not have the mtp option? Moto G 5 Plus i only see;

Charge this device

Transfer files (does not show up in windows explorer)

Transfer Photos (PTP) (does not allow me to add none photo files)

Use device as MIDI.

I saw someone else with this issue and a reply from motojess, but did not see the solution. Now i cant find the post again.

JJJoseph
Paper Tape
Views: 45,234
Message 9 of 24

Done as you suggested, and I can see the photo in DCIM/Camera/. It's a jpg from the MotoG-Android camera, but I can't move the photo off the phone to my PC. It's there in the camera folder, but my PC doesn't 'see' it. How do I get my PC to cooperate in moving the photo off my Moto G4 to my PC where I can work on it?
PogTx
Fanfold Paper
Views: 42,927
Message 10 of 24

File Transfer via USB cable for the a MOTO G5 and G5 PLUS

If you are having a problem trying to transfer files to or from your computer or other device (this discussion assumes a PC, but a Mac will be similar), you can consult the User Manual  However, you have probably not consulted the manual initially since you assumed that the procedure for the Moto device would be like other devices.  After you have connected your phone and PC via USB cable and used Windows File Explorer (“This PC”) to find and select your phone, it will appear as a connected drive [Moto G5 Plus] where you expect you can drag and drop files.  However, clicking on this drive undoubtedy displays “This folder is empty”.  This is because the USB port on the Moto is defaulted to use for charging only, and you will need to change this in order to transfer files.

This is done by swiping down from the status bar (or top of any home screen) to bring up the notifications list.  At the bottom is the entry “Android System” and USB option (this only shows up when a USB cable is plugged into the Moto’s port).  You will probably observe the statement “USB charging this device.  Tap for more options; the following screen appears:  

“Use USB to:

O   Charge this device (this is the default)

O   Transfer files (MTP)

O  Transfer photos (PTP)

O  Use device as MIDI”

For audio and data files, change this to the second option:  Transfer files (this is MTP; you may need to select PTP for pictures and video).  You will now be able to drag and drop files to or from your device and a PC.  [Note: the Moto may appear as an MTP or PTP device that lets you use Windows Media Player to transfer files. For more instructions or driver files, visit www.motorola.com/support.]

If you have a SD card installed , Windows File Explorer should now display the correct two storage folders: “Internal shared storage” and “External” (SanDisk SD card). 

You will probably need to manually reset USB use every time you wish to transfer files. This is an annoyance, but probably a minor one, since it is not likely you will need to connect to a PC often to transfer files, and the procedure to change USB function is simply and easy once you know how.  The frustration arises because it is easy to forget about the need to do this and how to do it since you don’t do it regularly.

Top Kudoed Authors