Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Millmaag
Paper Tape
Views: 56,669
Message 1 of 38

Incoming calls not displaying

Using Moto G4 Plus. Worked perfectly until 3 days ago, when incoming phone calls no longer showed on screen. The phone still rings, but I cannot see who is calling or answer the call, without unlocking the phone, going to the dialler and manually selecting "return to call in progress" - only then can I see who is ringing me and answer the call. Extremely frustrating.

I have tried rebooting the phone, rebooting in safe mode, clearing the cache - but the problem persists. Any idea how to fix this?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 54,601
Message 2 of 38

Re: Incoming calls not displaying

What else happened three days ago?  Did you install anything new?  Update anything?  Change any settings?  This is not something the phone would do on its own.

Millmaag
Paper Tape
Views: 54,598
Message 3 of 38

Good question - but I didn't change any settings, install or update any apps.

I think it is some sort of bug in the phone dialler, that effectively renders the phone useless, as it is nearly impossible to answer incoming calls.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 54,588
Message 4 of 38

I'm not prepared to say it's a bug since the phone once worked properly.  And, if it is a bug, something triggered it, and we don't know what that is.

You say you booted the phone into safe mode.  Are you saying that you tested the phone in safe mode as well?  Have you changed any of the phone's settings at all?  Animation settings?

Millmaag
Paper Tape
Views: 54,582
Message 5 of 38

Yes - I followed advice on Moto website to try booting the G4 Plus in safe mode, to exclude problems caused by third party apps. Having gone into safe mode, I tested this as far as I could - by ringing the G4 from a landline and from another mobile, but the incoming calls still didn't display on screen.

Now rebooted again into normal mode and it is still not showing incoming calls properly

Millmaag
Paper Tape
Views: 54,581
Message 6 of 38

Not changed ANY other phone settings. I have no idea what might have triggered this.

By the way, also scanned for malware using AVAST and Malwarebytes, but both report that my phone is clean....

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 54,573
Message 7 of 38

So, next, I would report the issue to the carrier and ask if they can think of any reason why this would happen.  Perhaps they made a change to your account in error, or towers are malfunctioning, or something.

If this were a common problem, people would be screaming.

Millmaag
Paper Tape
Views: 54,546
Message 8 of 38

Followed troubleshooting in the built-in help system. Found out how to check notifications on the phone app (settings, apps, phone, notification) to find that they were blocked. Goodness knows how this happened - didn't know this menu existed. Anyway, turned blocking off and everything is back to normal. Incoming calls now display normally again.

Could another app have changed the hidden phone settings menu? 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 54,534
Message 9 of 38

So, we've come full circle!  ;-)

Glad to hear it was an easy fix!

Yes, apps can change settings.  Very important to understand the permissions and why they're there.  But this happened all of a sudden.  Did you change any settings at all?  Have you installed anything from outside of the Play store?

unhappy3
Paper Tape
Views: 54,361
Message 10 of 38

Same thing happened to me a few days ago.  For a day or two I could see a place to tap on the phone to receive a call from my wife's phone, but no other incoming calls could be received,  Now it has spread to incoming calls from my wife's phone as well.  Only solution now is to call back the "missed call" number.  This is obviously a bug that needs to be fixed ASAP.  Any knowledgeable engineers out there?

Top Kudoed Authors