Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agent_Liz Moto Emeritus
Moto Emeritus
Views: 16,103
Message 1 of 75

Looking for help with your Moto phone?

Screenshot troubleshooter.jpg

Looking for help with your Moto G4/ G4 Plus here? We have many great resources you can turn to, in addition to posting here on this community for help.

In addition, here are some great general Android resources:

And of course, you can post here, in your device community, for help.

¿Buscas soporte en Español? ¡Visita nuestros NUEVOS Foros!

JoelD19
Paper Tape
Views: 16,020
Message 2 of 75

Re: Looking for help with your Moto phone?

How can I set up my new Moto G4 phone to dial calls using the Pause and Wait features?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 16,018
Message 3 of 75

A comma will insert a pause and a semicolon will insert a hard wait.

Sometimes you may need more than one comma to make the pause long enough.

Sage_W
Paper Tape
Views: 15,529
Message 4 of 75

Help please... I need help so much because I just don't understand, and maybe one of you lovely smart people can figure out for me what I need to do? 

I am pretty tech illiterate can barely use a computer and I have a smartphone (Moto G 4th generation) and I cannot make heads or tales of this data thing... it might as well be fairies or ghosts because as I understand it, it's some invisible force that has something to do with my phone that is a complete mystery to me. No one can explain it so that it makes any more sense than that.

Basically I use my phone for phone calls, text messages, camera & occasionally little apps like calculator. And occasinally when I travel, google maps.  

I don't like to use it on the internet, or to play games, or to watch videos, listen to music, etc. I don't even check email on the phone. I don't want constant streaming headlines or alerts or facebook messages or anything like that coming in. If I want to check that stuff, I'll go home and get on my computer.

Now as I understand it, I have a data limit, I get charged for data usage over the limit. I think I got that much down.

Then someone else told me I only get charged for high speed data, and not one twenty-something (kbs? mbs? Some kind of number with letters following) that kicks in after I reach my data limit. I think that person is wrong.

Then someone set a limit for me of 1 gb. I don't know what a gb is, but my family's plan limit is 5 gb. So, okay. But then I apparently ran out and couldn't use google maps when I got lost out of town, which made me end up wasting a lot of gas that day. So just setting a limit isn't good because something is still using data to stream things at me that I don't want/need. 

Someone tells me when I'm connected to wifi it does not use data if say my kid wanted to play a game or something. I just don't know, but okay.

But basically, I'm trying to figure out settings so I can do this:

- get phone calls, text, use my camera. 

- keep off data for anything else. 

- let my kid play games/watch videos or whatever on wifi when we're home or at a friends without eating up data (if that's possible)

- turn on my data if I feel the need to use it for google maps or something occasionally, then turn it back off so all those messages and buzzes and streaming things don't keep running and eating up my data in the background. 

When I go to settings I find '

So, if you understood all that, first off, you rock. Second, here are the QUESTIONS:

1) does it need to use data for me to get phone calls/text messages?

2) Under Data Usage'... when I click that it gives me the option cellular|wi-fi... that it says 'Cellular Data'-- if I keep that on the gray, which appears to be 'offo', does that keep data off until I want to use it? And if I want to use it I can just flick it on? 

3) on the same screen, there's a black bar at the top that says 'Data Usage' with 3 dots. I click on the dots and it gives me an option to 'restrict background data'-- does doing that keep all those background streaming things from running?

4) on those same three dots it says 'Network Restrictions' and gives me 'Metered Wi-Fi Networks'. One is my home network, the others are from stores I've visited. Do I want those gray buttons slid to the left, or do I want them green & to the right? Do I want at least my home network green & to the right (which I assume means it's 'on'?

5) Under those dots I can go to Cellular Network Settings, and there's 'Data Roaming'-- this is set to gray (off?) Do I turn that on if I'm out and want to use Google Maps or if my kid wants to look at a video in the car or something and use data?

Okay I am REALLY sorry this is so long, but I just don't understand the language or how I'm supposed to explain it so I just hope I'm making some kind of sense, and I thank ANY brave soul who cares to take stab at helping a near hopeless case like me. Thank you SO MUCH if you got through this, you're a saint Smiley Surprised)

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 15,525
Message 5 of 75

1. Phone calls do not use data.  Text-only texts do not use data.  If you attach a picture to a text, whether sent or received from someone else, that does use data.  Navigating uses a lot of data.
  2. To turn off cellular data, go to Settings and then tap Data Usage.  There's a button at the top that turns cellular data on and off.  What you're describing is two tabs, one labeled Cellular and the other Wi-Fi.  That's just showing you data usage for both methods.  Just because the Cellular tab is grayed out, doesn't mean that cellular data is off.  You can hide the Wi-Fi tab if you find that confusing: tap the 3 dots in the black bar and then tap Hide Wi-Fi.
  3. Yes.  I'm pretty sure that navigation won't work because Maps continuously downloads pieces of the map as you move.  But you'd be surprised at the things on the phone that need some kind of data in order to work.  Try turning it off and see what happens.  If you need to have it on, but are concerned about data usage, post here and we'll see if we can figure something out.
  4. I would leave metered networks alone unless you connect to a Wi-Fi network that costs money.   I would also not connect to any public Wi-Fi unless it's absolutely necessary.
  5. Leave data roaming off.  That refers to data usage when you're out of your regular network.  I always keep that off.

When you're connected to wi-fi, you're not using cellular data even if cellular data is turned on.  However, if you recive a text with a picture attachment, you will use cellular data to download that picture even if you're on wi-fi (that's just the way it works).

Let us know if you have more questions.  This is a peer-to-peer forum where users help users, and there are a lot of knowledgeable users in here who are happy to help.  Just remember: there's a first time for everything, and everyone has been a newbie at something at one time or another.    :-)

Sage_W
Paper Tape
Views: 15,286
Message 6 of 75

Okay! Pictures use data, phone calls/messages do not, can turn data off, hide wifi, roaming data off. Check!

I don't know what metered networks are; I only generally use wifi when home or visiting family. But like I said, rarely worry about it with phone.

Thanks for your help!

Motog4LS
Paper Tape
Views: 15,178
Message 7 of 75

The chop action to activate the flashlight does not work when the Moto G4 is in a case. Is there a way to manually turn the app on?

Motog4LS
Paper Tape
Views: 15,128
Message 8 of 75

Never mind...I finally figured out for myself. However, I still wish the chop action would work with the case on the phone. Smiley Frustrated

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 15,107
Message 9 of 75

I enjoyed your post because you were brave enough to admit that you needed to know some things. I daresay there are a great many  people who are in the same situation. Good for you for asking.

marky37
Fanfold Paper
Views: 15,061
Message 10 of 75

Hello i switched on my motorola g4 to make a call but all my contacts have gone i have checked the sd card but they are not there either,i would be grateful for any help.

Top Kudoed Authors