cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ananarv17
Paper Tape
Views: 1,996
Message 11 of 75

Re: Looking for help with your Moto phone?

Hey I have a problem with my Moto G4 Plus. I dont know why .. even if not on call , when i place my hand over the sensor, the screen light goes off. Any idea why this is happening??? How can i stop this??

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,990
Message 12 of 75

How exactly is this a problem? And the second question is, why are you covering the sensor?

The sensor is designed to turn off the screen when in proximity to your face OR in your pocket, for example, or when you place your phone face down. Would you really want the screen to stay on?

If it did NOT work consistently, that would be a problem... which can be caused by a faulty sensor but more often by a screen protector that has been placed obstructing the sensor.

thezillionthsue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,971
Message 13 of 75

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this - I'm new to the forums.

I had a Moto G LTE before, and to switch on and off data was really easy. I switched off data when at home or elsewhere with a WiFi connection, and only used data when there was no WiFi available.

I now have a Moto G4 Plus and there does not seem to be any way to do this.

If I go to settings, then data usage, then mobile data, then the Sim, there is a little flower or cog icon in the place where I used to turn data on and off. However if I turn this off so it is greyed out, it says "Sim Slot 1 disabled", and I don't then seem to be able to send texts or indeed anything else.

I thought perhaps the phone was automatically connecting to wifi and overriding data, but I have just received a message from my (new) provider saying that I have already  used up 60% of my data for this month - and I have a 4 GB allowance !!!!

I have looked in the manual, looked online, and I can't find anything at all to throw light on this. Please can anybody help?

I'm in the UK and my provider is iD. Thanks!

BTW I'm not sure why "What's DOS" has come up under my user name?!?!?

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,954
Message 14 of 75

First off, the "What's DOS" is simply a designation indicating your level of participation in the forums. As users post over time, answer questions, etc., the terminoloy changes. So nothing to worry about there, and no doubt you DO know what DOS is. Smiley Happy

As for your data usage, there are two discrete methods to restrict the use of your mobile data allowance. The overall approach is to turn off data to ALL APPS, however, you can pick and choose apps individually and restrict them from using data.

Manual p.47

“You can track the amount of data your phone uploads and downloads.

Find it: Apps > Settings > Data usage

Your phone shows a data usage graph. Below the graph, apps appear from highest to least data usage. Note that you can slide the button to turn on or off mobile data. (see image attached)

Manual p. 48

Some apps transfer data in the background when you're not viewing them—to stop an app from doing this, tap it (the app) and then check Restrict app background data.

To turn off background data use for ALL APPS, just tap (3-dot) Menu > Restrict background data.

Note: Usage information is provided to help you manage your phone. This may not match the amounts charged by your service provider, as they’re not measured in the same way. To choose which SIM card is used for data services tap Apps > Settings > SIM cards > Cellular data and select a network.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,947
Message 15 of 75

Here is PDF of the manual for your reference.

thezillionthsue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,938
Message 16 of 75

Thanks for this.

Sorry to be so dim, but then if I'm somewhere where there is WiFi, should I be turning off all background data by tapping "restrict background data"? And then tapping it again when eg I go out and am using Google maps to navigate?

What happened with my previous phone was that if I did not turn off data, even if I was at home I was using up data going on Facebook etc, which normally would have been through WiFi. So then if I did not notice, I occasionally reached my data limit.

BTW I stupidly misunderstood the message from my provider - the 60% used up was referring to something else.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,923
Message 17 of 75

Please don't be concerned about not knowing all the ins and outs of the cellular universe; you're not being dim. If I understand your query, it's focused on not using up your data plan. So...as long as you are on WiFi, you shouldn't need to worry about apps consuming your data allowance. When you are not connected to WiFi network, and IF you are not restricting background data, then the meter is ticking. Yes, if you are going to use Google for navigation, you must have mobile data turned on so the app can communicate with Google's servers.

It really won't hurt anything to leave mobile data off and wait until you are home for apps to update and so forth. However, if you want to get notifications of email, or notifications from other apps when you are out in the world, that won't happen unless mobile data is on. That is one of the reasons that it is possible to restrict individual apps from using data...you may only want certain priority apps to have that capability.

Hope this helps. If you have additional questions, you are welcome to ask. And if they get into the more highly technical realm, we have great senior moderators here with a wealth of knowledge.

Thei
SCSI Port
Views: 1,914
Message 18 of 75

Question 1

My New Moto G4 plus has a problem when I do use zoom in video mode. Most off the times the display gets frozen after I touch the zoom and I have to restart the camera again. This also happens after a few seconds when it is cold, so its not a heating problem. I did go back to the store and became a new Moto g4 plus. It did not have this zoom problem when I left the shop but in the evening it did download some Android updates and the Zoom problem was back.

I thought that maby a 64 g sd extra intern Memory would help, so I did buy an extra Memory sd, but it did not solve the zoom problem.

Quetion 2

How can I choose to store some pictures at this new 64g Samsung evo plus Micro SD card? I cannot chanche the place of storage and the pictures now het stored at Google foto's. I sometimes would like to have some pics in the intern storage to show them when I am offline.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,911
Message 19 of 75

@Thei  In answer to question #2, here is a link to a complete set of instructions on how to set up and use your SD card.

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/110862/p/30,6720,96...

As for your video question, I noticed that you also posted the question in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-Plush-crashes-get-forzen-while-sho...

So far in that thread, there is no solution, however the Moto Forum Admin (Matt) does suggest testing the phone's functions in Safe Mode.

Thei
SCSI Port
Views: 1,898
Message 20 of 75

@RevLauren wrote:

@Thei  In answer to question #2, here is a link to a complete set of instructions on how to set up and use your SD card.

https://motorola-mobility-en-in.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/110862/p/30,6720,96...

As for your video question, I noticed that you also posted the question in this thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/Moto-G4-Plush-crashes-get-forzen-while-sho...

So far in that thread, there is no solution, however the Moto Forum Admin (Matt) does suggest testing the phone's functions in Safe Mode.

Thanks for Your answer.

I did  read the manual from your linck and folowed the steps how to place a sd and made the Samsung micro sd a not removeble intern storage, but I cannot find out how to choose for store a Just made Picture  in this new big intern storage. The pictures automatic get stored extern at Google foto and I want to keep them sometimes to be stored inside my phone.

I am a totaly newbe in this smartphone world and I try to understand this new technicks at my age. Do I need to download first a foto app before it is possible to store some pictures in my phone's storage?

When Yes is Your answer,wich app would be Your advise?

@ question 1

I did make a bugreport and did sent it to Lenovo to find out wich update does giveme those problem.

Maby tomorrow I wil get an answer.

Top Kudoed Authors