Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cliff232
Paper Tape
Views: 136
Message 1 of 6

Many duplicate contacts android 7 Moto G4

Hi all, this is my first post so apologies if this has already been covered. I have many duplicates in my contact list, some are x 2 some are x3 some are ok. I did a sync to Gmail but my Gmail contact list is unaffected.  All the help I have seen on the net has different menus to my Moto G4 with Android 7. I do not have a merge contacts command in the contact's main menu. How can I remove all these duplicates without manually selecting each one? If I do individually select a contact to delete, then all 3 or 2, etc are selected which will delete the entire contact which is not what I want to do. I would really appreciate some help and have joined this excellent forum for this exact purpose.  many thanks   Cliff

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 123
Message 2 of 6

Re: Many duplicate contacts android 7 Moto G4

Are you sure you don't have a,"Merge" option?

You need to long press on a contact and then select/Tick each set of duplicate entries and then the 3 bars and the Merge option should be there.

HTH 

Cliff232
Paper Tape
Views: 83
Message 3 of 6

Hi there,  Thanks for your reply,  if I long-press a contact it will select it, actually all 3, etc, then if I go to the menu top right I only have Link, 'Delete or Share' The LInk command only appears if I select more than 1 contact.  In the main contact menu I have Contacts to display, Import/export, Blocked numbers, Manage accounts, Settings.  That's all.  Android 7 Version says PVTB,  SKU says XT1622. Software channel says retgb    Model says XT1622.

I am baffled. I have had this phone from new and never had any problems. Will it help to Upgrade?    If so how do I do that? Thanks again.  Cliff

Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 80
Message 4 of 6

I can't answer for the Update.Just a user like yourself.Anyhoo.Try this.Go to the Google playstore and see if you can install the separate Google Contacts app,

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts&hl=en_GB

Then try again choosing a set of duplicates and go to merge.It may offer to,"Clean Up" all the duplicates as well.

Cliff232
Paper Tape
Views: 71
Message 5 of 6

Thanks, tried everything, I think this contact list is corrupted so I installed 'Cleaner contacts' from the play store which works perfectly and removed the complete old contact list!!

Thanks for your responses.

Highlighted
Porphyrius
Bit Torrent
Views: 69
Message 6 of 6

@Cliff232 wrote:

Thanks, tried everything, I think this contact list is corrupted so I installed 'Cleaner contacts' from the play store which works perfectly and removed the complete old contact list!!

Thanks for your responses.

Sorry you have had such a bad time of it.I've had lots of Android phones and never had this problem.

Do yourself a favour now you have a good list.Go into the Contacts app>Settings and find the Import/Export option and choose to save the Contacts to a .vcf file.It will look like contacts.vcf wherever you choose to save/Export it.I rename mine to MyContacts.vcf.

Copy this and or send it to yourself attached to an email.Then you have a good copy of the contacts that can be downloaded and imported into any device,even an Apple phone's contacts!

Top Kudoed Authors