Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OldListener
Paper Tape
Views: 243
Message 1 of 5

Moto G Play XT1607 4th Gen. 16GB Smartphone hangs/crashes

In November 2016, I bought a Moto G Play XT1607 4th Gen. 16GB Smartphone for my wife.  I finally got her to agree to switch to it in mid Feb. 2019.  I got the phone connected (on Ting) using a CDMA sim card.  The phone was working fine until a few days ago.

Now it hangs displaying one of the boot up screens.  It does not respond to taps or other gestures or pressing the power or volume buttons.

After a few minutes passes with the phone hung, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and the phone re-boots and hangs.

Occasionally, it will get to the lock screen and I can swipe and unlock the phone.  Itr will appear to work normally for 1-2 minutes and then re-boot and hang.

The OS is Andriod 7.1.1.

I looked for posts and knowledge base entries and Youtube videos but haven't found anthing useful.  Can anyone provide some help to resolve this problem?

I have been very happy with a Lenovo laptop, a Lenovo 10" tablet and my Moto G6.  The G4 is weakening my trust in Lenovo products.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 207
Message 2 of 5

Re: Moto G Play XT1607 4th Gen. 16GB Smartphone hangs/crashes

@OldListener wrote:

In November 2016, I bought a Moto G Play XT1607 4th Gen. 16GB Smartphone for my wife.  I finally got her to agree to switch to it in mid Feb. 2019.  I got the phone connected (on Ting) using a CDMA sim card.  The phone was working fine until a few days ago.

Now it hangs displaying one of the boot up screens.  It does not respond to taps or other gestures or pressing the power or volume buttons.

After a few minutes passes with the phone hung, the screen goes blank for a few seconds and the phone re-boots and hangs.

Occasionally, it will get to the lock screen and I can swipe and unlock the phone.  Itr will appear to work normally for 1-2 minutes and then re-boot and hang.

The OS is Andriod 7.1.1.

I looked for posts and knowledge base entries and Youtube videos but haven't found anthing useful.  Can anyone provide some help to resolve this problem?

I have been very happy with a Lenovo laptop, a Lenovo 10" tablet and my Moto G6.  The G4 is weakening my trust in Lenovo products.

Try removing the sd card and sim card and test. Next step would be safe mode, if you can get it to reboot that way. Finally would be a reset and setup as new - it is possible to do external reset without access to OS 

To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/110630/p/30,6720,9687

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
OldListener
Paper Tape
Views: 191
Message 3 of 5

Thanks, AlphaDog. I've tried several of yoiur suggestions without much success.

The G4 rarely responds to taps on the screen or presses of the power and volume buttons so it is very hard to get the phone to shutdown or re-start. When I get to the lock screen, the phone re-boots in a few seconds.

I was able to try booting w/o the sim and memory cards present. I was not able to boot in safe mode. I can't get to a prompt for safe mode. I can't get to a reset command. The phones lack of response to holding down the power and volume buttons has prevented my efforts to do an external reset.

The link that you provided is a welcome resource for me,
Highlighted
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 160
Message 4 of 5

Hi OldListener,

Just to confirm are you using a case since this may cause some problems with the touchscreen sensor or volume buttons. Since you cannot reach the recovery mode and perform an external reset this might be a hardware failure and you may need to send your phone to a repair center. 

Best regards,
Zeke
Motorola Support

OldListener
Paper Tape
Views: 155
Message 5 of 5

Thanks you for your reply.

I am not using a case.

I understand that the phone is out of warranty and I don't want to spend money on a repair for a phone that we just started using.

Last night, I decided to give up on the G4 Play phone based on the lack of a solution from the Knowledgebase or this forum . The user guide and manual are useful for troubleshooting.

I purchased a Moto G6 for my wife as a replacement for the G4 Play. My experience with my G6 has been good. I just convinced a friend to buy a G6 for his needs. If my wife's experience with the G6 is good, I'll remain a loyal Lenovo customer. If it fails as the G4 Play did, I'll avoid all Lenovo products in the future. And I'll share my negative experience with others.
Top Kudoed Authors