Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Horsti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,091
Message 1 of 7

Moto G4 Andoid 7 Nougat: No Glonass satellites

Hi,

after the long awaited update to Andoird 7 Nougat it seems that there are no Glonass satellites seen in apps like GPS status. And many apps show 0/22 satellites but have a position that seems to be less acurate than before.

Do you can confirm this issues?

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 1,943
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto G4 Andoid 7 Nougat: No Glonass satellites

@Horsti wrote:

Hi,

after the long awaited update to Andoird 7 Nougat it seems that there are no Glonass satellites seen in apps like GPS status. And many apps show 0/22 satellites but have a position that seems to be less acurate than before.

Do you can confirm this issues?

I was unable to fully duplicate your issue. I was able to get a GPS fix, but had some other difficulties. What app are you using to test with? I was using GPS Test. If you weren't using that app, please install it and try resetting your AGPS data. From GPS Test > Menu > AGPS > Clear and update. Then close and start the app again to see if the issue persists.

-Tom

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Horsti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,923
Message 3 of 7

I have already tried this. It is interesting that gpstatus (and osmand) do not recognize the (number of) satellites but get position data. See the attached screenshot. Sometimes very few satellites (ca. 3) are recognized but not the whole amount. It also seems that both gps and glonass satellites are used but not displayed.

kec
What's DOS?
Views: 1,825
Message 4 of 7

I have a similar problem with my Moto G4 Plus, though it appears that my phone's ability to lock into all available navigation satellites (i.e., GPS and Glonass) is affected.

Since updating to Nougat about a month ago, I now have to restart my phone in order for it to reliably lock into any navigation satellites. I've tried several apps (GPS Test, Ultra GPS Logger, GPS Status and Toolbox) to clear and update the AGPS, but they don't seem to help--I can still leave the phone sitting with a clear sky view for 10 minutes and it might lock into one satellite. If I restart the phone, however, within 5 or so seconds of booting up, it will lock into what seems like a normal number of satellites, like it used to before the Nougat update. I can then use whatever navigation app I need without problems.

When I'm not using a location-based app I disable location on the phone to save battery. The next time I enable location, again the phone cannot seem to acquire a lock on any (or perhaps only one) satellite until I restart it. Restarting the phone is a workaround, but an annoying one, especially since the GPS receiver worked fine before the latest OS update to Nougat. 

Has anyone figured out how to fix this, or had similar GPS receiver problems since updating to Nougat?

Former Employee
Views: 1,764
Message 5 of 7

Hi Everyone,

We tested it and although we do see a difference in response from that 3rd Party Application between N and M, GPS Performance was confirmed to be the same and no issue was duplicated. 

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Horsti
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for confirming this bug.

All Android apps use the same interfaces, so all apps are „3rd party apps“. If you mean than „Google Maps“ is a 1st party app, „Google Maps“ is a bad example since it does not display the amount/signal strength of the satellites at all.

I guess the reason for this bug is a change in (maybe) the firmware/driver/wrapper that reports the signal strength that is now below a too low threshold and so reports a wrong signal strength; the signal strength is obviously all right (as before) since a position can be obtained.

Maybe this breaks some apps that depend on an amount of satellites to work properly...

Radion
Paper Tape
Views: 1,449
Message 7 of 7

Hi, I've Moto G4 (non plus) and the same problem after Nougat update. GPS can't fix 0/22 satellites displayed all the time, but when turn off my phone, and turn on again it finds 13 or even more satellites within a few seconda... What's the problem?

Regards,

Radek

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors