Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
otomg4
Paper Tape
Views: 10,858
Message 1 of 18

Moto G4 / G4+ Solved Ghost Touch

Bought 2 G4 and one G4+ from Amazon. A fw months later, the ghost touch so bad on the G4 units that Motorola replaced them under warranty. The first replacement began to ghost, but beyond the 1 year period, so it went into the bin. Now the G4+ is ghosting horribly. I bought a Huawei 9 to replace it. However, the G4+ ghosting was so bad (not being charged) that I could not transfer data.

Solution: Put it in the freezer. Then take a freezing block (one of those plastic cases with some sort of liquid that freezes inside. Put it on the desk and rest the G4+ on it after removing the phone from the freezer. This enables the phone to operate properly with enough time to back up the data.

Bottom line: This is a factory defect. Warranty replacements just kick the can down the road. It is generated by overheating due to apps running. Solution is to kiss Lenovo goodbye. Someone should initiate a class action suit.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 10,699
Message 2 of 18

Re: Moto G4 / G4+ Solved Ghost Touch

Hi otomg4

We understand that it has been hard having this issue on your device and we're aware of these reports and we’re analyzing what happened with those devices and working on its resolution. What we can recommend is to have your phone repaired/replaced. You may visit a local repair shop or contact the store where you bought the device for further assistance. You may also submit it for replacement through this link.

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

otomg4
Paper Tape
Views: 10,679
Message 3 of 18

Dear Ella,

It always is difficult when you are employed by a company that tells you what the party line is. Your answer is, of course, completely useless, but it's your job to give such an answer.

So far, I have returned two G4 phones for replacement. The new ones have the same problem. In a world where people rely on their phones, especially in emergencies, having a phone that goes crazy is a hazard. It's also bad for business when it pocket dials.

If your recommendation to submit the phone(s) for replacement with a different model, like the MotoZ, let me know. But if it is for another G4, why bother?

The phone does not need to be repaired, it needs to be replaced by a phone that does not have this factory defect. Your engineers probably know what is wrong... something was set too close to something else in the phone where heat causes expansion and the whatever-it-is makes contact in a way that causes the phone to do things it is not supposed to do. It may also involve software settings, but my finding that chilling the phone stops it suggests bad engineering.

Your company's strategy for such a defect is to keep replying like this reply of yours, replacing units that come back, until the phones are old enough that you can tell the customer it's time to replace them.

What it does, of course, is burn customers who cross Motorola/Lenovo off their list. Let's try Huawei instead.

My posting was a solution... for phone owners who cannot migrate their data to a new phone because the ghosting does not stop.

• Put the phone in the freezer to chill it down.
  • Then get a plastic ice pack (the kind that does not leak), and set the phone on the ice pack while migrating data.
  • When done and migrated, drop the G4 off at the Best Buy Recycling Kiosk and kiss Motorola/Lenovo goodbye...

Forever.

Akxa
Paper Tape
Views: 9,223
Message 4 of 18

Hi, I gave up with support desk. This is a latent defect but I cannot get a repair/ replacement because I've no receipt. So I am ordering a Mi Mix. Burned using Motorola.
Anyway to survive with this problem of ghost touch, clear most of apps from home screens and reduce screen brightness to around 25%. This works 100% but if course you do not have a 100% phone.
kellhong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,869
Message 5 of 18

I had this same issue.
It started immediately after I got my new phone.
Lenovo suggested a factory reset, which stopped the issue for a while.
I should have listened to myself and requested a refund, but I didn't know it was a systemic problem with the G4.
Now it does it all the time.
I couldn't take pics with my phone on a recent Hawaii trip because my phone was just going haywire.
it is VERY frustrating.
I have had the phone just over a year. Purchased on 6/8/17.

aejhtyj
Paper Tape
Views: 6,757
Message 6 of 18

Same issue here. In summer vacation to china, my g4's screen go shaking like crazy, in most outdoor condition. While in door it still happen sometimes. thanks for the forum, I will try low down the screen brightness, and turn off the auto-brightness function.

Lenovo should give official advise for this problem, at least.

ghost-touch
What's DOS?
Views: 6,111
Message 7 of 18

Add me to the list, another victim of ghost touch.   So now I guess I have to toss my G4 in the trash too.

Off to Facebook and Twitter now, so at least I can warn others against being taken by Lenovo in the future.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 5,925
Message 8 of 18

@ghost-touch wrote:

Add me to the list, another victim of ghost touch.   So now I guess I have to toss my G4 in the trash too.

Off to Facebook and Twitter now, so at least I can warn others against being taken by Lenovo in the future.

Hi,

Sorry to learn about the ongoing issue that you have been facing. We can recommend is to have your phone repaired/replaced. You may visit a local repair shop or contact the store where you bought the device for further assistance. You may also submit it for service/repair/replacement through this link.

Regards,

Swaraj

Moto Support

kellhong
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,088
Message 9 of 18

Just wanted to update.
Thankfully, my device was still under warantee, so I worked with customer service and they sent me a replacement phone.
I have had ZERO issues with my new phone, and I am very happy with the way it has performed.
I should have done this sooner, since my old device had this issue, right out of the box.
The new phone is the exact same model, but it is performing as it should.

telbere
What's DOS?
Views: 4,974
Message 10 of 18

Pulling the sim card to disable connectivity works in a pinch for me. Heavy radio usage around update pushes generally causes my g4 to ghost me.

Been meaning to dismantle my G4 and see what is sandwiched against the radios. What a joke this would be if it could be solved by a two cent heat sink sticker.

Top Kudoed Authors