Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bob-
Paper Tape
Views: 38,012
Message 1 of 13

Moto G4 NO Ring Volume, No Ring to incoming calls

Got my brand new Moto G4 today,  did all the set ups,  got the Moto G5 User guide PDF  (& it doesn't help)

Adjusted sounds.   Tested various ringtones for phone.  Chose one.   tested outgoing phone:  it worked..
Later, tested for incoming..  Phone worked,  but ringer didn't..     Went to settings and there is NOT 
slider for the "Ring Volume" ...   The Media, and Alarm volumes both have a greed circle that can adjust

those sounds,  but there is NO green circle for the "Ring Volume"

Yes, been learning, poking and playing with lots of things earlier,  but cannot find ANYTHING that can 

remove, replace, mute, or modify the ring other than that missing greed circle..    What else can I have 

changed???

Highlighted
adiGL
Punch Card
Views: 37,932
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moto G4 NO Ring Volume, No Ring to incoming calls

Have the same issue on my xt1643 model ..
You are right , the ringer slider isn't there , which is the main problem , there should be actually 4 , the media , the alarm , the noti , the ringer . The ringer not being there is a software issue , which I too feel is annoying . 

Even the notifications won't sound up at times,  you have to restart the device to do so . 
Have you tried speaking on skype?? Is it working ? 
For me when I restart my device , the notification sounds work for a few hours , after that when they aren't working , even the skype isn't , you can't here the other person . A really bad bug. 

Bob-
Paper Tape
Views: 37,900
Message 3 of 13

Never Mind~ ...
I tried the Power Off sequence as I had the sound screen with the missing slider, and before I could hit the popup power off button, the green circle miraculous reappeared!!!!

My wife tells me that the old trick for her older phone is to remove the battery for 30 seconds.. But you can't on this phone.. But I have had a couple other 'issues' where Power Off - Restart cured the problem.
adiGL
Punch Card
Views: 37,887
Message 4 of 13

@Bob- wrote:
Never Mind~ ...
I tried the Power Off sequence as I had the sound screen with the missing slider, and before I could hit the popup power off button, the green circle miraculous reappeared!!!!

My wife tells me that the old trick for her older phone is to remove the battery for 30 seconds.. But you can't on this phone.. But I have had a couple other 'issues' where Power Off - Restart cured the problem.

Well , has it fixed the problem ?
Can you tell me what exactly have you done and is the slider back in your case?
I couldn't understand what you did , can you explain it once again , please?

Bob-
Paper Tape
Views: 37,885
Message 5 of 13

I wanted to remove the battery, as my wife does on her older phone (when 'weird problems' happen.)
BUT- could not remove this wired-in battery.. So did a Power Off .. (You hold both side keys, - on/off- & Volume - then a popup 'power off' you're suppose to touch to do a power off ... But before I could touch that popup, I saw the green circle on the Ring Volume slider reappear!
That Power off it recommended in several places I've found
adiGL
Punch Card
Views: 37,882
Message 6 of 13

@Bob- wrote:
I wanted to remove the battery, as my wife does on her older phone (when 'weird problems' happen.)
BUT- could not remove this wired-in battery.. So did a Power Off .. (You hold both side keys, - on/off- & Volume - then a popup 'power off' you're suppose to touch to do a power off ... But before I could touch that popup, I saw the green circle on the Ring Volume slider reappear!
That Power off it recommended in several places I've found

Wow , well thats great for you . 
Tried , but for me , no such work arounds are working .. 
Now is the slider sticking? I mean is it still there or has it disappeared again?
And are the sounds okay?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 37,862
Message 7 of 13

@Bob- wrote:

Got my brand new Moto G4 today,  did all the set ups,  got the Moto G5 User guide PDF  (& it doesn't help)

Adjusted sounds.   Tested various ringtones for phone.  Chose one.   tested outgoing phone:  it worked..
Later, tested for incoming..  Phone worked,  but ringer didn't..     Went to settings and there is NOT 
slider for the "Ring Volume" ...   The Media, and Alarm volumes both have a greed circle that can adjust

those sounds,  but there is NO green circle for the "Ring Volume"

Yes, been learning, poking and playing with lots of things earlier,  but cannot find ANYTHING that can 

remove, replace, mute, or modify the ring other than that missing greed circle..    What else can I have 

changed???

To power off, just hold the power button for about 15 seconds.... until phone shuts off. No reason to hold multiple keys as this does nothing. 

There are only 3 volume controls. They can be found via tapping the volume key and then hitting drop down arrow when the one volume slider appears, or by going to settings-> sound & notification.

The solid circle will become a hollow circle if in DND mode. 

Screenshot_20170105-083952.png

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bob-
Paper Tape
Views: 37,857
Message 8 of 13

Thanks for the reply, but -
The rubber stamp reply doesn't answer my post.
And the ICON/Image doesn't look like the Moto G4 screen in question.

Perhaps my post should've been titled "Eerie undocumented occurances"

The double key press was shown in youtube video when having to reset, which was needed more than once when setting up this new phone.
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 37,851
Message 9 of 13

@Bob- wrote:
Thanks for the reply, but -
The rubber stamp reply doesn't answer my post.
And the ICON/Image doesn't look like the Moto G4 screen in question.

Perhaps my post should've been titled "Eerie undocumented occurances"

The double key press was shown in youtube video when having to reset, which was needed more than once when setting up this new phone.

That screen shot is from G4. No rubber stamp. That is how my phone works. I have never heard of a double button press to reset - only if you want enter recovery mode and factory reset, but I thought you were talking about power off/restart. To bring up the power off menu, you just hold the power off button for a couple seconds.

I guess i just don't understand your problem. Maybe some pictures/screenshots/video  would help?

You mentioned a G5 manual too, moto doesn't have a G5 phone. But if you point me to the G4 manual or videos that has mistakes I will pass on that it needs correction. Hoepfully you are looking at manuals on the motorola site and not elsewhere. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Bob-
Paper Tape
Views: 37,834
Message 10 of 13

My screen looked like this:

Note the missing green circle.
I hadn't realized I got a snap of

it!  As I'd said, I'm a newbie with
this camera.

Also, that '5' was a typo,  I meant
G4..  Got the PDF from Consumer