Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,513
Message 1 of 86

Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

I bought a Moto G4 Play two weeks ago. Around the 3rd or 4th day of use I notice that the GPS loses its lock onto a satellite every 15 or 20 minutes, and takes aroun 2 to 3 minutes to lock on again (I missed a motorway junction the first time I noticed, as Waze was displaying my location as unknown, but guessed I was around 2 miles behind my actual location).

Each day since, the GPS lock seems to become more regular. Now it takes around 2 to 3 minutes in any satellite navigation app to ascertain my location, and then will lose lock within a minute or two, rendering the sat-nav apps pretty much useless.

The symptoms are the same with Waze, Google Maps, Here We Go, and Cycle Streets. They all have access to 'High Accuracy' locations, hence the ability to connect to GPS for a few minutes.

Is this a known bug, or does it sound like hardware fault?

oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 6,451
Message 2 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

I found your post and I got the same problem but with my g4 plus. Do you find a solution? THX 

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,438
Message 3 of 86

No solution yet. I think it must be a hardware fault as opposed to a design flaw, or a software problem, otherwise there would be thousands of people experiencing g the same thing. I expect I'll need to send the handset back for a replacement...

Hoping that an official rep from Lenovo will respond.

oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 6,425
Message 4 of 86

Probably it is a software problem because I've installed an app called "GPS status" and it's better working for gps. Try and give me your feedback. Thanks for reply me!!

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,421
Message 5 of 86

Thanks.

@oemb29 wrote:

Probably it is a software problem because I've installed an app called "GPS status" and it's better working for gps. Try and give me your feedback. Thanks for reply me!!

There are quite a few apps called GPS status. Which one do you recommend?

oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 6,407
Message 6 of 86

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 6,397
Message 7 of 86

Thank you - I've installed it, and it appears to have resolved the problem.

The only issue remaining is that my phone is new, and this seems very much like a workaround rather than a true fix. I wonder whether I'll experience further problems related to this isssue. e.g. is it and Android bug, or hardware conflict, or design flaw? And will I experience other related issues in the future? In short, should I be returning my phone for replacement whilst still within warranty?
DuoLEd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,362
Message 8 of 86

Sometimes my phone's GPS does not work properly (not accuracy).

There are other bugs in the device such as the failure to enable the guest user. Did you check this one?

It is always bad to buy a mobile phone at launch. Unfortunately I also bought. Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 6,357
Message 9 of 86

I've used GPS Status and Toolbox for years.  Phones get knocked around, carried in pockets, purses, spun around on tables...sensors periodically need to be calibrated.

The app will also make clear how many satellites you're hitting (the more the better).  Atmospheric conditions, view of the sky, and more, will affect the accuracy of GPS.  The app will help you better understand why the results you're seeing are not as expected.

Your phone downloads GPS data, and sometimes the old needs to be flushed out.  This is not a fault, but simply the way it works, and this app makes it easy to do that.

oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 6,333
Message 10 of 86

Thanks for your hint. My issue is that I can't get connection for long time. I'm using " GPS status and tools " but the app works for short time and the notification icon is gone. 

Do you know if we can use a external GPS like a smart watch or some GPS device because I need everyday

Thanks