Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 3,896
Message 61 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

Andrew it's also happening in some Samsung Galaxy S7's and a few others too.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,895
Message 62 of 86

It looks like it was reported as far back as Oct 2015. If it's a known flaw, why is the Moto G4 Play sold with such a show-stopping OS version - can a downgrade to Lollipop be offered as a workaround until issue fixed? Will Lenovo allow me to root and ROM my device, or will they invalidate the warranty?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,882
Message 63 of 86

@andrewj720 wrote:

It looks like it was reported as far back as Oct 2015. If it's a known flaw, why is the Moto G4 Play sold with such a show-stopping OS version - can a downgrade to Lollipop be offered as a workaround until issue fixed? Will Lenovo allow me to root and ROM my device, or will they invalidate the warranty?

There still are very few reports of this, so I can't agree that it is a known flaw or specific to the G4.

Downgrade is not possible. If you Root/Flash or unlock the bootloader you will void your warranty. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Kadah
Punch Card
Views: 3,840
Message 64 of 86

@andrewj720 wrote:

Will Lenovo allow me to root and ROM my device, or will they invalidate the warranty?

Yes and I've tried, it does not help this issue. Return the phone to where you got it if possible. I'm on my 3rd G4 Play now and so far this one seems to be working at least for now.

Spiked
Token Ring
Views: 3,805
Message 65 of 86

I have a US retail Moto G4 Play xt1607 that is having the same GPS issues everyone is describing. I bought mine at the end of November and it worked fine until new years eve. I thought maybe the feds detuned the GPS signal for security reasons like it used to be long ago and thought nothing of it. The problems have persisted though. I normally use Waze when driving to work to get traffic alerts, and lately it's usually several hundred meters off and constantly recalculating for the entire drive. Sometimes is just says no gps signal. Every once in a while it works ok. I'm wondering what percentage of people who buy a Moto G4 Play actually take the time to register on the forum here and report issues? I bet it's a very small number, and out of that small number to have this many complaints about the GPS seems like a problem. The reports of people getting replacement units and still having the same problem are not reassuring. Mine is out of warranty, so hopufully the Nougat OTA will fix the problem.

timswampy
Paper Tape
Views: 3,775
Message 66 of 86

Hi . I purchased 2 Moto G4 Play mobiles and a Moto G4 Plus for my family at the same time last Christmas and both  Moto G4 Play devices have the same GPS locking issue where as the Moto G4 Plus works just fine . WHAT IS THE ISSUE AND FIX PLEASE. do we have to wait for Nougat to be released ?????

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,772
Message 67 of 86

I've just returned my THIRD G4 Play as it had same GPS issues. Bought a Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus yesterday for £160. Cost a little more bit it's a brilliant phone, and even though it runs Android 6.1, guess what?....the GPS works perfectly. Really impressed with Wileyfox.

Steve-OR
Paper Tape
Views: 3,630
Message 68 of 86

My Moto G4 Play has been a great phone since I bought it late last year, except for this one BIG exception. Like many others, I have been extremely frustrated with the sporadic performance of the GPS, to the degree that it is actually dangerous to use the gps-nav apps while driving. I tried most of the suggested fixes mentioned in this forum and others, but the issues persisted. I have done many tests using the GPS Test app, and found that the First Fix Time would sometimes take over 2 minutes, the Accuracy would be very poor (15-30 m), and I would often get the message "searching for gps..." in the gps-nav apps. Almost by accident I recently discovered that the Accuracy and First Fix Time would improve when I pressed on the back of the phone. Today I inserted some cardboard between the back of the phone and the plastic protective case, to put a minimal amount of pressure on the back of the phone. Wow! Now the First Fix Time is typically less than 4 seconds, and the Accuracy is as low as 3 m indoors! Certainly not a permanent fix, but it should get me by until I have time to return the phone for repair under warranty. It seems, at least with my phone, this GPS issue is a hardware fault; perhaps a loose connection in the gps module.     

Highlighted
Kadah
Punch Card
Views: 3,530
Message 69 of 86

@Kadah wrote:

@andrewj720 wrote:

Will Lenovo allow me to root and ROM my device, or will they invalidate the warranty?

Yes and I've tried, it does not help this issue. Return the phone to where you got it if possible. I'm on my 3rd G4 Play now and so far this one seems to be working at least for now.

Update: The 3rd one started to fail after a week, same exact issues as before but after another week this one would also overheat sometimes while sitting idle running on battery. I'm returning it to Amazon for the last time and getting a refund. In my experience with 3 G4 Plays in less than 2 months, the model itself defective since the odds of getting 3 in a row that fail within the first 2 weeks is extremely low even assuming an awfully high 1% defect rate.

Right now I'm considering replacing it with either the regular G4 or the G4 Plus, but since this is will be my infrequently used backup device and this recent experience with Moto, I don' think I'll spend twice as much for the Plus.

amitkeithcorrea
What's DOS?
Views: 2,869
Message 70 of 86

Dear All,

I have a moto G4 play, The GPS is grossly malfunctioning.

Whenever I use google maps or waze it shows GPS searching, or GPS signal lost. It does this for nearly a minute and then finds GPS only to lose it ten seconds later. It is next to impossible to use any kind of navigation with this device.

I was sent a brand new replacement device and it too has the exact same problem.

This is certainly a device problem. I have now decided to stay away from all Motorola phones. In today's day having a faulty GPS is no excuse.

Top Kudoed Authors