Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 5,392
Message 11 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

Do you config some feature on " GPS status" app? Which one? 

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,365
Message 12 of 86

Unfortunately the problem with this phoen being unable to lock onto a GPS signal persists. I've tried about 10 different GPS status and fix apps, but none of them resolve the issue.

Bizarrely, the problem seems to be getting worse, not better: the time it takes for the phone to establish current location is becoming longer, and the length of time before the lock is lost is less, at which time, the phone flicks to a lock for about one second, then loses lock, then fixes, then loses, repeating this for about 1 minute, then it will lock on for about 1 minute, then lose its location fix for anything between 10 seconds and 1 minute.

Essentially, it's totally unacceptable as it is useless as a GPS device until it works.

I'll be posting the phone back to the vendor tomorrow for a replacement, and hopefully the problem will not be apparent in a replacement handset

Hoshang
WWAN
Views: 5,357
Message 13 of 86

Set device location to Device Only mode.
Hoshang
andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,345
Message 14 of 86

Thanks for the reply, I'll try Device Only mode but isn't that reducing the functionality of the phone, i.e. a hack, not a fix?

e.g. if I have no GPS signal (underground rail, for example), my phone won't know my location at all until I go outside. I want High Accuracy mode to work.

I'd really like to know if this is a design flaw (i.e. are others experiencing same issue) or an isolated fault. Also, I'd wager that Waze's 'inside-tunnel' beacons won't work unless I'm in Hig Accuracy mode.

N.B. I had no sch issues with my previous phone, an HTC One, which would acquire an accurate fix within seconds and would have no issues losing GPS location fix
RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,337
Message 15 of 86

Yes, if the applications you use need High Accuracy, then that's what you need to have. While Waze beacons are an emerging technology, they may become more prevalent if various municipalities and tunnel owners are willing to pay the cost of installing them.

We have a G4 (not the Play edition), and it has no difficulty retaining a lock on GPS satellites, but I have no experience with the model you have, and any phone you are going to use every day obviously must work well for you. Reducing its overall functionality is not a solution. As you have the opportunity to get a replacement, that seems a wise choice.

For your reference, here is a clear and concise summary of locations modes from Android Central:

http://www.androidcentral.com/location-services-whats-difference-between-choices-and-which-should-i-...

Also, always keep in mind when looking for answers on the forum, that we are all (with the exception of the highly experienced "Senior Moderators") simply your peers trying to be of help by sharing experiences. Thus any of us can be wrong about something, and all our responses are suggestions, not necessarily answers. (Taking it with a "grain of salt" comes to mind.) 

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,329
Message 16 of 86

Thanks for the info. I've not discovered anyone else with this issue, i.e. one which cannot be resolved by GPS status or similar tools. The last thing I will try is a factory reset. I suspect it is a faulty antenna though, so, i reckon it will be a replacement ultimately.

Thanks ks everyone. Will try to remember to lwt you know how I get on.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 5,326
Message 17 of 86

Please do let us know. One of the most helpful aspects of a peer-to-peer forum is when users find solutions to issues. The posts that say "This fixed it," are valuable contributions.

itsasurething
Paper Tape
Views: 5,312
Message 18 of 86

I too have recently purchased a Moto G4 Play.  Mine is the Verizon prepaid varient.  I'm loving the phone, but I went on a trip this week and experienced the exact same problem as you've described.  When using Google Maps and trying to navigate, the gps signal is continuosly being lost and searching.  To the point that GPS is not usable in a functional way. 

Yours is the only post I've seen on this.  I was also considering returning the unit and trying another.

Other than that, this is a fantastic low cost phone!  I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 and don't miss it at all.  Except for the camera.  The quality of the camera is basic.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 5,304
Message 19 of 86

Ah, so it's possible that's there is a design or manufacturing defect then... If I get a replacement unit it'll be interesting to find out if the problem exists on that one too, disappointing though if it does.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 5,296
Message 20 of 86

@andrewj720 wrote:

Ah, so it's possible that's there is a design or manufacturing defect then... If I get a replacement unit it'll be interesting to find out if the problem exists on that one too, disappointing though if it does.

With only 2 users out of thousands reporting this, I doubt it is either a design or manufacturing defect - possibly an issue with the GPS component, but if so, it only affects 2 reported phones so far. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Top Kudoed Authors