Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,786
Message 41 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

Hi all,

I returned my unit that was locking on to GPS quickly and struggled o hold a lock for long, and my replacement G4 Play arrived this morning.

I drove to work, and in relation to this error, all seemed to work well and as expected (even whilst the phone was installing remaining apps during initial set up phase); GPS lock was acquired very quickly, and Google Maps tracked my location moving along the road, without veering off a few hundred metres, as it did when using the previous unit.

This was only a 15 minute drive, so time will tell, but all the right indications are there suggesting that this unit has none of the GPS lock problems which were so evident on my previous one.

Waze hadn't yet installed on this unit in time my for my commute this morning, so I can't verify if the speedometer reports a steady speed (as my HTC One did; Waze on my first G4 Play showed my speed changing erratically even when I drove at a steady speed). Will check this evening if that looks good too.

So, I suspect, the symptoms were caused by a hardware fault in my unit.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,764
Message 42 of 86

Bad news: the problem persists. I drove 300 miles yesterday and the GPS function kept reporting me as driving a few hundred yards away from my actual location. This meant, whilst driving along a motorway, I'd get often get notifications to turn left when near an exit; the first few time, I left the mortorway as I assumed there was traffic up ahead, only to be returned onto the mortorway entrance at the same junction. The next few times it happened, I nearly left the exit again, as the map was flicking around erratically making reading it difficult and the sat nav guidance voice was saying tun left, or sometimes "turn right" which was even more confusing when on a dual carriageway with a right hand turn coming up.

I eventually switched off the voice as it was too distracting, and didn't pay too much attention the the sat nav's immediate turn guidance other than to see what was a few miles ahead or more, maing sure i was on the best route.

Essentially, in this replacement unti I've recieved, I'm experiencing similar problems with GPS location, rendering sat nav apps unusable, and at worst, dangerous, due to unexpected instructions when the lock is lost and location is determined as being at a different place.

I've attached screenshots of the issue in Waze (the same location issues were apparent in Google Maps and Here) - it looks like I'd been driving off the motorway in these three screenshots but in fact, I'd been driving along the motorway for miles and passing by these junctions, so the navigation guidance should be showing a straight line along the motorway.

Screenshot_20161102-160223.pngScreenshot_20161102-160249.pngScreenshot_20161102-160607.png

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,752
Message 43 of 86

@andrewj720 wrote:

Bad news: the problem persists. I drove 300 miles yesterday and the GPS function kept reporting me as driving a few hundred yards away from my actual location. This meant, whilst driving along a motorway, I'd get often get notifications to turn left when near an exit; the first few time, I left the mortorway as I assumed there was traffic up ahead, only to be returned onto the mortorway entrance at the same junction. The next few times it happened, I nearly left the exit again, as the map was flicking around erratically making reading it difficult and the sat nav guidance voice was saying tun left, or sometimes "turn right" which was even more confusing when on a dual carriageway with a right hand turn coming up.

I eventually switched off the voice as it was too distracting, and didn't pay too much attention the the sat nav's immediate turn guidance other than to see what was a few miles ahead or more, maing sure i was on the best route.

Essentially, in this replacement unti I've recieved, I'm experiencing similar problems with GPS location, rendering sat nav apps unusable, and at worst, dangerous, due to unexpected instructions when the lock is lost and location is determined as being at a different place.

I've attached screenshots of the issue in Waze (the same location issues were apparent in Google Maps and Here) - it looks like I'd been driving off the motorway in these three screenshots but in fact, I'd been driving along the motorway for miles and passing by these junctions, so the navigation guidance should be showing a straight line along the motorway.

Screenshot_20161102-160223.pngScreenshot_20161102-160249.pngScreenshot_20161102-160607.png

Hi andrewj720,

Here are some great troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset.

Try these suggestions and let us know

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...

If the above steps didn't work, you could send your phone for service repair.

Regards,

Jess

Motorola Support

venious
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 44 of 86

I'm waiting on my replacement for this, so that is definitely bad news. If mine isn't fixed with the replace, I'm giving up on Moto and moving to a different hardware vendor. Had to call in as well, as the web repair never let me complete a request.

@andrewj720 wrote:

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,746
Message 45 of 86

@venious wrote:

I'm waiting on my replacement for this, so that is definitely bad news. If mine isn't fixed with the replace, I'm giving up on Moto and moving to a different hardware vendor. Had to call in as well, as the web repair never let me complete a request.

@andrewj720 wrote:

Hi venious,

Would you mind send me a PM with your RMA number of your replacement so that we can check? Thanks.

Regards,

Jess

Motorola Support

yamaono
Paper Tape
Views: 1,676
Message 46 of 86

I am experiencing the same problem. In the first two weeks GPS worked fine, now it is starting to slowly deteriorate. In Pokemon Go as well as in GMaps when I am moving GPS hangs and needs roughly one minute until it registers my new position. This happens quite often now and is making navigation nearly unusable.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,674
Message 47 of 86

@yamaono wrote:

I am experiencing the same problem. In the first two weeks GPS worked fine, now it is starting to slowly deteriorate. In Pokemon Go as well as in GMaps when I am moving GPS hangs and needs roughly one minute until it registers my new position. This happens quite often now and is making navigation nearly unusable.

Have you tested in safe mode with maps? To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
markusu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,620
Message 48 of 86

same problem here with my Moto G4 Play. First days GPS work fine. But after a few days I get more and more problems with the GPS location. Switch from high accuaracy mode to device only works for a short while.

I try to check the posted link: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...
but it seems broken.

ThierryRaoux
What's DOS?
Views: 1,573
Message 49 of 86

Hi, everybody

I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem with the G4 play. It's sad that Motorola or Lenovo don't talk about it. I think that is time that they recognize the problem.

I'm thinking in sell my "donkey phone" for a few coins (the real value) and buy a real smartphone

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,558
Message 50 of 86

@ThierryRaoux wrote:

Hi, everybody

I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem with the G4 play. It's sad that Motorola or Lenovo don't talk about it. I think that is time that they recognize the problem.

I'm thinking in sell my "donkey phone" for a few coins (the real value) and buy a real smartphone

Here are some great troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset. Try these suggestions and let us know

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...

if nothing works, you have a one year warranty and can get your phone serviced. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum