DuoLEd
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,544
Message 51 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

@AlphaDog wrote:

@ThierryRaoux wrote:

Hi, everybody

I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem with the G4 play. It's sad that Motorola or Lenovo don't talk about it. I think that is time that they recognize the problem.

I'm thinking in sell my "donkey phone" for a few coins (the real value) and buy a real smartphone

Here are some great troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset. Try these suggestions and let us know

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...

if nothing works, you have a one year warranty and can get your phone serviced. 

Come on, AlphaDog.

Whole Moto G4 line has problems: ghost touch, chargers stop working, GPS problem.
There are thousands of people with problems that can not be solved with system restore (you knows). These are hardware (or design) issues!

Lenovo ruined Moto G line.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,535
Message 52 of 86

@DuoLEd wrote:

@AlphaDog wrote:

@ThierryRaoux wrote:

Hi, everybody

I'm from Brazil and I have the same problem with the G4 play. It's sad that Motorola or Lenovo don't talk about it. I think that is time that they recognize the problem.

I'm thinking in sell my "donkey phone" for a few coins (the real value) and buy a real smartphone

Here are some great troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset. Try these suggestions and let us know

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...

if nothing works, you have a one year warranty and can get your phone serviced. 

Come on, AlphaDog.

Whole Moto G4 line has problems: ghost touch, chargers stop working, GPS problem.
There are thousands of people with problems that can not be solved with system restore (you knows). These are hardware (or design) issues!

Lenovo ruined Moto G line.

Handful of gps complaints. Cant agree with you. My g4 is fine. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
markusu
What's DOS?
Views: 1,526
Message 53 of 86

meanwhile Amazon send me a new G4 - works as aspected, all problems gone. It seems that it is no systematic problem.

oemb29
Punch Card
Views: 1,516
Message 54 of 86

Kadah
Punch Card
Views: 1,376
Message 55 of 86

(Posted this on another, newer thread, but figured I should reply to the older established thread for the issue.)

I'm also have a lot of issues with GPS on this device.

It usually won't get a lock, sometimes it won't even attempt to run the GPS when an app calls for location. When it does get a lock, the accuracy is horrific, often worse than +/-400 meters. The best it's managed has been +/-30 meters.

I pretty much have to use a GPS status app (GPS Toolbox) to make the GPS actually try to work even the little it will. If I keep rebooting the phone, eventually gps will kinda work for other apps, but after sleeping, it will stop. If I run GPS Toolbox till it gets a lock, then switch to any other app that uses location, it will work for maybe a minute then loose lock then stop running the GPS entirely.

I've factory defaulted several times already. This is actually the second G4 Play I've had, the first was the Amazon Prime version which did not have any of these issues, but I ended up selling it on after a day and getting the regular version. Looking around at the other threads on this, it's sounding like there are a small percent of the G4 Plays that have defective GPS hardware.

hihohahi
Paper Tape
Views: 1,326
Message 56 of 86

Got this problem as well. This is my 2nd g4 play. First one had gps issue after a week, traded it in and got a new one. The new one arrived today. I immediately turned on google map and there the gps is jumping around. How unlucky...

Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 1,307
Message 57 of 86

This GPS issue is something to do with the Mobile data interfering with the GPS (i've no idea how it works.)

Try this to get GPS working, although you wont be able to get traffic information...

You will need to either use HereWeGo or download offline maps in your designated mapping app.

1) Turn off mobile data

2) Turn off location services, then turn it back on.

3) Power cycle phone.

4) leave mobile data off.

5) set destination in mapping app of choice, and drive.

GPS works fine then.  I've had the same issues GPS would fix on my static location before i leave then just couldn't keep up with my journey at all.  In most cases it didn't even think i'd left.

I personally have a feeling this is an issue with Android 6 rather than a hardware issue, as people are experiencing this issue with other phones too that aren't Motorola's.  

Hope this helps people until the issue is resolved.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,301
Message 58 of 86

@Reigns1989 What other phones are experiencing this - can you point me towards any evidence so I know to avoid them?

We've three other phones running Android 6, and they have no such problems. Strange that I had 2 x Moto G4 Play phones, both with same problem, but others make and models work fine.

Reigns1989
Paper Tape
Views: 1,298
Message 59 of 86

@andrewj720 https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=190376  There are people there reporting this issue with a few different phones.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,295
Message 60 of 86

Yes a similar issue is being reported there, but predominantly for Nexus 5 devices (there is one Nexus 6 report - but that's Moto, too, is it not?)

So, could this a be a hardware problem? Does some same hardware appear in LG's Nexus 5 and Mot G4 Play?

Top Kudoed Authors