Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,919
Message 71 of 86

Re: Moto G4 Play Edition: GPS location error

Hi amitkeithcorrea,

When you are in a different location and start to turn on GPS, does it work? Have you tried to reboot the phone? Are you using wifi or data connection?

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Spiked
Token Ring
Views: 1,914
Message 72 of 86

@MotorolaJess wrote:

Hi @amitkeithcorrea,

When you are in a different location and start to turn on GPS, does it work? Have you tried to reboot the phone? Are you using wifi or data connection?

This is definitely a design flaw/hardware defect with this phone, which is disappointing because it's an otherwise nice phone. I started having this problem after having the phone for a couple months. Rebooting, safe mode, factory reset, wifi status, and changing location didn't make any difference. People on other forums were trying all kinds of complicated, convoluted software fixes with no success. I want to keep the phone, and due to the policy of software changes (bootloader unlock) also meaning you lose the warranty for the hardware of the phone as well, I had no choice but to investigate the issue myself. It looks like over time the spring contacts for the GPS antenna on the pcb gradually lose contact with the pads for the antenna that are on the outer shell. Correcting this can result in GPS accuracy going from 300-700 meters to 3 meters! Moto should be instructing anyone who has this problem and is still in warranty to send their phone in for repair. I feel like this issue is more widespread than what Moto is letting on, and the reports of people receiving multiple replacement phones with the same problem are not reassuring. I'm guessing admitting a problem would open up the possibility of a recall maybe?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,908
Message 73 of 86

@Spiked wrote:

@MotorolaJess wrote:

Hi @amitkeithcorrea,

This is definitely a design flaw/hardware defect with this phone, which is disappointing because it's an otherwise nice phone. I started having this problem after having the phone for a couple months. Rebooting, safe mode, factory reset, wifi status, and changing location didn't make any difference. People on other forums were trying all kinds of complicated, convoluted software fixes with no success. I want to keep the phone, and due to the policy of software changes (bootloader unlock) also meaning you lose the warranty for the hardware of the phone as well, I had no choice but to investigate the issue myself. It looks like over time the spring contacts for the GPS antenna on the pcb gradually lose contact with the pads for the antenna that are on the outer shell. Correcting this can result in GPS accuracy going from 300-700 meters to 3 meters! Moto should be instructing anyone who has this problem and is still in warranty to send their phone in for repair. I feel like this issue is more widespread than what Moto is letting on, and the reports of people receiving multiple replacement phones with the same problem are not reassuring. I'm guessing admitting a problem would open up the possibility of a recall maybe?

Not all problems are the same, but if a factory reset doesn't solve it, then Moto always recommends warranty service if phone is in warranty. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
CHAMELE0N
Punch Card
Views: 1,822
Message 74 of 86

I know your post is old but as of 5/20/2017 the internet is full of complaints about the GPS on the G4 Play flaking out after a period of time. Mine went 5 months and it just gets increasingly worse. This is a pattern and the phone has a defect.
KCMetroGnome
Paper Tape
Views: 1,692
Message 75 of 86

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I am having the same problem. I see that this thread says the issue has been "resolved", but when I click on the link to see the resolution, the resolution is to get a different phone. How can I go about either fixing the problem or getting a refund on this phone? Anything that relies on location is totally unusable.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 1,684
Message 76 of 86

@KCMetroGnome wrote:

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I am having the same problem. I see that this thread says the issue has been "resolved", but when I click on the link to see the resolution, the resolution is to get a different phone. How can I go about either fixing the problem or getting a refund on this phone? Anything that relies on location is totally unusable.

The author of a thread can mark any answer as the solution - right or wrong.

But, If you did a factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and problem persists, then service/repair/replace is next step.

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Anne11
Punch Card
Views: 1,541
Message 77 of 86

For what it's worth, I disabled Google Maps to use Waze and vice versa and found GPS worked properly as long as only 1 of them was enabled. I have been doing this for several days and hope this solution lasts.
lorosa
Paper Tape
Views: 1,310
Message 78 of 86

My GPS location has been driving me nuts on my Moto G4 Play.  It has steered me in several directions, causing me to veer off course several times.  I've restarted the phone and tried other fixes.  It looks like this is a persistent issue for others.  I will try the suggestions on disabling the Google maps while using Waze.  But I just wanted to post so that Lenovo is aware that this is an issue for a number of people.

@AlphaDog wrote:

@KCMetroGnome wrote:

The author of a thread can mark any answer as the solution - right or wrong.

But, If you did a factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and problem persists, then service/repair/replace is next step.

andrewj720
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,309
Message 79 of 86

Lenovo never did admit a hardware problem. I received three different models, all with same problem. Many people here have same problem with that model.

Conclusion: this phone has faulty GPS and Lenovo do not want to admit nor address it.

Solution: buy a different make of phone.

JoaoB
Paper Tape
Views: 934
Message 80 of 86

Issue solved? I see no solution here. This is playing smart with customers.

I am one of many that have the GPS fixing problem. It was fine for the first 6 months but now I can't use GPS anymore.

The rest of the phone is fine but this issue makes it useless until Motorola has a fix.