cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 1,528
Message 1 of 45

Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class action suit?

Some background:

I'm not downloading tons of sketchy apps, dropping it, etc.  In fact, I have very few apps.  The extent of my phone time is: some Poker apps, Evil Minds, Heads Up, Waze, YouTube, Calls Blacklist (so my phone doesn't ring unless you are in my Contact list), Chrome (for general surfing), Facebook (and I never stay logged in), Bitmoji, texts, calls, camera, the flashlight, and the alarms.  There's nothing extreme about what I'm doing.

I would say that when I first got this phone, I didn't have problems.  I forget what version of Android first came with this (I got it when the G4 and G4 Plust first came out - I have the G4 Plus), and it seemed to work fine.  At first, I never noticed crashes.  I was extremely happy with it.  In my mind, once I got the first over the air update (OS update), that's when I first started noticing it.  So I don't know if the crashes are related to a battery degrading over some months of use, or the actual update itself.  But since that time, this phone has turned to dog doo doo (that's a technical term!).

For example, last night, I'm a passenger in a car, just playing the Poker App.  And boom, it just crashed.  It shut down.  Completely off.  I was just playing a Poker App.  When I turned it on, the battery was around 56%.  I don't recall a notification this time, but I was chatting in the little chat window in the Poker App, and I think maybe Waze was running in the background at that time.

A lot of the time it's when some Notification pops down, while you are doing something.  Typically something like watching Video.  So I might be watching YouTube, the battery starts getting low, someone sends me a Text, I see the Notification drop down .... and .... CRASH.  My phone is off.  I swear it has something to do with the battery, because right around when you start talking 50something % or less, I get scared it will crash if I dare try to use the phone.  In fact, when  it gets in a really bad state, where it's crashing left and right (examples: turn phone on, try YouTube, crash ... turn phone on, try to watch some Video embedded in a Web Page, crash ... repeat), if I plug the phone in, the issue immediately goes away.  I mean, doens't that tell you it's battery related?  But I'm not always near an outlet.  I can't live my life tethered to a wall like this was the 1980's and I'm using a rotary phone.

And I see people talk about the same things here over and over and over.  It crashes randomly.  Its typically when the battery is below 50% etc.  It goes away when plugged in.  We all have the same complaints.

Now, and I don't need to pick on the people that support these forums, but it seems that they are just reading from a script.  Try to put it in safe mode they say!  Really?  That's a solution?  Run it in safe mode?  Clear some cache!  Factory reset!  Really?  Come on.  I personally don't want some forum guy coming here and repeating the same B.S. you see posted over and over.  I think we should all demand to hear from people a level or two up.  This is a real problem and I just don't believe these solutions are working.  Stop trying to blame the customer, when it's obvious that this is happening for A LOT of people, and it's all the same types of symptoms.

What we need to do is have Levono fix this.  I don't need a super powerful phone to run intensive graphic games.  For me, I could use this phone for a few more years, easy.  But, now I'm thinking of replacing it.  Man, that's annoying.  And it's disappointing because I was a fan of Motoroloa and what they are trying to achieve with this price point, so now I"m going to have to think about much more expensive phones - which will lead to the uncertainity of finding used unlocked phones on eBay, to keep the price down.  Levono seemed to have ruined the spirit of these Motorola phones.

It's obvious this is some type of Motorola/Levono issue, and I'd narrow the search towards the battery/overheating/multi-tasking (meaning, it always seems to happen a lot when I'm in the middle of something and some notification from some text or something drops down).  I wonder if we should start some class action suit.  They definitely laid an egg here and are blaming the customers as opposed to actually narrowing it down and fixing it.  You want a problem phone to debug?  Come on over with your engineers and I guarantee I can get you scenarios where this P.O.S. will crash.

I am extremely frustrated with this model and the fact that I don't think I'll ever buy a Motorola phone again, as long as Levono is pulling the strings.

What can be done here?

motog4_to_court
Paper Tape
Views: 1,520
Message 2 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery &lt;= 50%) - should we file class action

I am in. Please feel free to connect:

motog4tocourt@gmail.com

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 1,447
Message 3 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery &lt;= 50%) - should we file class action

Hi, wjcam99.

Please update your profile with current phone, carrier and serial number -- this will help me investigate further. Please make sure that the options under Settings > Motorola Privacy are on as well, and let me know (just reply here) if it's okay for me to look at your apps to see if they are a source of problems.

Update your profile -link

Thanks,

-Swaraj

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 1,440
Message 4 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery &lt;= 50%) - should we file class act

First, let me give you a typical Night and Day with this randomly crashing phone.

Last night:  I'm at a friend's house and I use Facebook Messenger to "Face Time" with my two kids as they are going to bed.  We had been face-timing for about 20 minutes, and then .... BOOM ... CRASH ... my phone shuts off.   I turn it back on (I am so annoyed at the "hello moto" startup screen at this point), and immediately check my battery percentage: 47%.  I contact my kids again, through Messenger, "Sorry guys, I got disconnected.  Good Night ... " and ... BOOM ... CRASH ... my phone shuts off.  I could barely get a sentence out and it crashed again.  At that point I stop using Messenger.

This morning:  I did not charge my phone last night.  I woke up, and it shut off because it was dead.  I plugged it in a little bit before I left for work.  As I'm in the car, I look at the battery, 47% again!  I thought I had charged it all the way, but apparently not.  I say to myself, let me delete any unused apps and do a restart before I start using this phone.  I deleted a couple of apps I hadn't used in a while and shut down the phone and turned it back on ("Hello moto!" yay, the millionth time).  Now, here were my exact steps: I click the Phone App.  I scroll to the person I want to call ... and ... BOOM ... CRASH ... my phone shuts off.  I JUST RESTRATED THE PHONE and all I did was open the Phone app.  I didn't even make a call yet!!!!!!  When the phone turned back on again, I noticed that there was an unread text message.  So what must have happened was that while I was scrolling to find the name, I must have got a text, it must have dropped down the notification, and because god forbid I was using an app at the same time I got a notification while the battery was below 50%, my phone blew up.  This is a very, very, very common thing for me.  A lot of the time it's when I'm getting some notification while doing something else on the phone.  (And when I mean "notification", the only notifications I turn on are for texts and phone calls.  Any app I download, I turn off notifications for that app.  I'm really not interested in having my phone bug me all the time with notifications).

How is any of this acceptable?  Outside of some checking on some sports scores (using the Chrome browser) in between these two events, that's the extent of my phone use.  And outside of the sports score checking, both times when I really wanted to communicate with people, the [Removed] thing crashed.

Let me repeat: THIS IS A HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE OR BATTERY PROBLEM THAT LEVONO/MOTOROLA INTRODUCED.  YOU GUYS NEED TO FIX IT.  You need to show me what you guys are doing to fix this problem other than running around in forums and blaming the users on their apps, or safe mode, or cache clearing.  Do you understand this?  Can you elaborate or elaborate on what research/testing/QA/bugfixing Levono is doing to fix this?  <-- Please answer these questions specifically.

As for my info:  My phone is a Moto G4 Plus and my carrier is Metro PCS.  Should I be giving you my serial number publicly?  Why exactly do you need it, and can I send it privately?

I literally have these apps downloaded: Bitmoji, Calls Blacklist, Evil Minds, Facebook, HBO GO, Heads Up!, Keep (it's some Google Notes type thing), Kodi, LetGo, Facebook Messenger, Pluto TV, Poker King, Poker Stars, PowerSchool (something associated with my kids school), Showtime Anywhere, SongPop, Speedtest, Thirty One, TiVo, Uber, Waze, Wheel Of Fortune.

I can not tell you the last time I used: HBO Go, Heads Up!, Kodi, LetGo, Pluto TV, Showtime Anywhere, SongPop, Uber, or Wheel Of Fortune.  It's been months, easily.  So it's not like they are loaded in memory or something.  I used Uber once in my life.

Edited for site rule violation - (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/td-p/3269704) You - Swaraj

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 1,433
Message 5 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery &lt;= 50%) - should we file class act

motog4_to_court.  I did see your message.  Let's see what the forum guy says about all this (I've asked him pointed questions, I'd like to see if he responds), then ... idk.  How does one get a class action going?  I guess I'll have to google it at some point!

motog4_to_court
Paper Tape
Views: 1,428
Message 6 of 45

I am not going anywhere. Let me know when you decide.

Good luck. I am tired of their approach, simply unbelievable.

Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 1,426
Message 7 of 45

I don't think it is a battery problem. Has to be some sort of software problem. The battery is not even drained to 0 percent. Something is making the phone believe its at zero percent and it just shuts down. After the shut down I checked the battery history and it said the phone battery was at zero percent when in fact it never reached that point. 

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 1,424
Message 8 of 45

Hey, thanks for that debugging information.  I've been a software developer for over 20 years, so I'm pretty good at debugging things, and think that if Levono put in a little more effort to fix the issue instead of blaming others, some of us out here may be an asset in helping.

That being said ... where exactly are you checking the battery history?  Is it a place other than: Settings -> Battery?  The only thing I have there is a chart that shows "4 hrs ago" to now.  And that graph shows that it never dipped below, say 40%.  I know my phone crashed a couple of hours ago, so I was hoping to see the same 0%, that you've seen.

Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 1,413
Message 9 of 45

Well I looked again and it is a 2 day chart. When you turn the phone on and swipe down twice you see the battery icon. I pressed it and it said it hit 0 percent at once point which it never did. In fact the graph now says it just spiked up. Screenshot_20180509-122142[1].png

Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 1,409
Message 10 of 45

As you can see from the chart I started using the Battery saver option about two days ago. Everything was fine until this morning and the phone once again shut down by itself. For some reason the phone thinks its battery is at zero at random times even when it is not.
Top Kudoed Authors