cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 512
Message 21 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class act

@Willcom wrote:

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

@Willcom wrote:

I don't think it is a battery problem. Has to be some sort of software problem. The battery is not even drained to 0 percent. Something is making the phone believe its at zero percent and it just shuts down. After the shut down I checked the battery history and it said the phone battery was at zero percent when in fact it never reached that point. 

Hello Willcom.

Sorry about the ongoing issue, usually this kind of issues can be fixed by calibrating your device as Calibration occurs by applying a full charge, discharge, and charge. Battery analyzers serve as a valuable tool to calibrate a smart battery. An analyzer fully charges the battery and then applies a controlled discharge that provides the all-important capacity readings of the chemical battery. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

Ok so far so good. I let the phone fully charge. No shut downs yet. But if/when it does it again I will post it.

I also downloaded a battery analyzer just now and hope you all are working on a fix that does not involve a 3rd party company.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 482
Message 22 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class action

HELLO!

This issue is not resolved, and the thread has been abandoned for days.

To continue my logging of instances:

1) On Friday, I didnt use my phone much, but at 78%, and I forget exactly what I was doing ... but it crashed on me.  Same thing, it completely shuts off, and you have to power it back on.

2) On Saturday, AND THIS WAS AN IMPORTANT TEST, I woke up, phone was charged to 100%.  It was a rainy day, so I decided to put my phone into SAFE MODE.

Question 1 (in addition to previous unanswered questions ... please see earlier posts, there are many unanswered questions):  If this phone crashes while in Safe Mode, doesnt that rule out any type of third party app as the problem?  And continues to point the finger at this phones hardware, software, or battery?  Safe mode disables all third party apps.

Anyhow, I didnt want to perform an extreme test, where Im using it for hours straight.  So, every now and then, I would turn on the phone, watch some videos on You Tube, or do some web surfing.  Both YouTube and Chrome are default apps installed with the OS.

At around 27%, Im watching a baseball game, so Im easily multi tasking.  I turn on the phone and watch some 4 minute Bruce Lee video on YouTube.  Then it transitions to another, say two minute video.  As Im nearing the end of this second video ... BOOM .. CRASH ... phone shuts off.  Again, this phone was in Safe Mode the whole day.  I should not have the phone crash after 6 minutes of video on YouTube.  I think I just ruled out 3rd party app as a source. 

Quinten123
What's DOS?
Views: 467
Message 23 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class action

Hi, I was wondering what charger you use. Do you use the quickcharge charger that comes with the phone, or another charger? I think the quickcharger causes the problem.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 463
Message 24 of 45

I use the quick charger.  The next couple of days, I wont.  I will drain my battery completely, and then go from there.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 457
Message 25 of 45

Original thread completely abandoned: Moto G4 Plus crashes randomly

The original thread last had input on 05-10-2018.  It is 05-14-2018 and that Agent has posted daily (since the 10th), and posted as recently as today, the 14th.  Those issues are not resolved.  So, new thread:

I have put this Moto G4 Plus into Safe Mode, and still had it crash (27% battery - watching a YouTube video).  That rules out 3rd party apps as a culprit.

Questions I have:

I personally believe that THIS IS A HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE OR BATTERY PROBLEM THAT LEVONO/MOTOROLA INTRODUCED.

1) Can you show me what you guys are doing to fix this problem other than running around in forums and blaming the users on their apps, or safe mode, or cache clearing?

2) Can you show me what research/testing/QA/bugfixing Levono is doing to fix this?

3) Can you show me a few threads that have actually solved this problem?

4) When troubleshooting, what exactly do you do.  I'm a smart guy, and technically inclined, can you post a document that describes your troubleshooting procedures, or explain them here?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 439
Message 26 of 45

Re: Original thread completely abandoned: Moto G4 Plus crashes randomly

@wjcam99 wrote:

The original thread last had input on 05-10-2018.  It is 05-14-2018 and that Agent has posted daily (since the 10th), and posted as recently as today, the 14th.  Those issues are not resolved.  So, new thread:

I have put this Moto G4 Plus into Safe Mode, and still had it crash (27% battery - watching a YouTube video).  That rules out 3rd party apps as a culprit.

Questions I have:

I personally believe that THIS IS A HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE OR BATTERY PROBLEM THAT LEVONO/MOTOROLA INTRODUCED.

1) Can you show me what you guys are doing to fix this problem other than running around in forums and blaming the users on their apps, or safe mode, or cache clearing?

2) Can you show me what research/testing/QA/bugfixing Levono is doing to fix this?

3) Can you show me a few threads that have actually solved this problem?

4) When troubleshooting, what exactly do you do.  I'm a smart guy, and technically inclined, can you post a document that describes your troubleshooting procedures, or explain them here?

No reason for a new thread. All continuity is lost when you do so, so I added this to your existing thread. 

Agents don't work weekends. 

As for troubleshooting procedures available to users they are quite simple.

Clear cache on phone if possible, see if that solves problem. Try safe mode (before or after cache clear) see if that solves problem. Last troubleshooting step, Factory reset, do not install any apps, test with no apps installed or restored on phone. 

Do your problems exist with no apps restored or installed?

As for the agent request about updating your profile - that data is private, only the agents can see it and they are moto employees. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 435
Message 27 of 45

Thank you for the response.

First, in my defense, I did not suggest that the Workers weekend.  But, I have seen the original Agent locking another thread I started and then point to this thread (without actually answering the questions), and this thread has been abandoned because that Agent has been active in other threads many days since he was last active here.

I have cleared cache.  I have run in Safe Mode.  In each instance, the phone still crashed.  Yes, I have not performed a Factory Reset, but that's a last resort, really, and I also fear that it will solve nothing (Safe Mode is fairly close to a Factory Reset, being that no 3rd party apps are installed).

I see all these fixes suggested, often.  Yet, in every single one of these threads where these steps are suggested, I have never seen it ever resolve the issue for anyone.

Think about this:  You can find many, many, many threads complaining of this issue.  Many, many, many people have followed the suggested fixes.  Yet, I don't see anybody suggest it ever fixes the problem.  Yet, I feel I am being run through this same dog and pony show.  And at no time do I see anyone from Motorola/Lenovo admit that a design flaw in the phone, or the battery, or their version of the Android O/S could be a problem.  When many people have this problem, and it's not getting fixed through troubleshooting, when exactly are we going to admit that the problem isn't the User?  I understand some type of debugging on Lenovo's part, and a potential patch, or recall, or battery replacement would be expensive for them, but sometimes it's best to own up to it.

And whether my profile information is protected or private, that's another debate for another day.  Especially in a world where data breaches at major companies seem to be reported on a daily basis.  And as I've mentioned, I can troubleshoot as well - before hading off more private information.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 428
Message 28 of 45

@wjcam99 wrote:

Thank you for the response.

First, in my defense, I did not suggest that the Workers weekend.  But, I have seen the original Agent locking another thread I started and then point to this thread (without actually answering the questions), and this thread has been abandoned because that Agent has been active in other threads many days since he was last active here.

I have cleared cache.  I have run in Safe Mode.  In each instance, the phone still crashed.  Yes, I have not performed a Factory Reset, but that's a last resort, really, and I also fear that it will solve nothing (Safe Mode is fairly close to a Factory Reset, being that no 3rd party apps are installed).

I see all these fixes suggested, often.  Yet, in every single one of these threads where these steps are suggested, I have never seen it ever resolve the issue for anyone.

Think about this:  You can find many, many, many threads complaining of this issue.  Many, many, many people have followed the suggested fixes.  Yet, I don't see anybody suggest it ever fixes the problem.  Yet, I feel I am being run through this same dog and pony show.  And at no time do I see anyone from Motorola/Lenovo admit that a design flaw in the phone, or the battery, or their version of the Android O/S could be a problem.  When many people have this problem, and it's not getting fixed through troubleshooting, when exactly are we going to admit that the problem isn't the User?  I understand some type of debugging on Lenovo's part, and a potential patch, or recall, or battery replacement would be expensive for them, but sometimes it's best to own up to it.

And whether my profile information is protected or private, that's another debate for another day.  Especially in a world where data breaches at major companies seem to be reported on a daily basis.  And as I've mentioned, I can troubleshoot as well - before hading off more private information.

You mentioned your issues started after a major update. If you have not done a reset after a major update, then i suspect something incompatible witht he in place upgrade. It happens - i have had it happen, and a reset is a lot faster then anything else. 

And although safe mode, in theory, should be like a reset it is not. I have even seen instances where phones behaved poorly due to an app, problem app uniinstalled, but problems persisted until a reset - like windows or mac, uninstall even leaves stuff behind. 

I had a G4 Plus (no longer) but I know others with it and they have no problems. So I doubt there is a design flaw as you describe or it should affect all devices. 

Could it be your battery? they do fail? it could be a different hardware issue too. A reset without installing or restoring any apps will certainly point to that if the problem persists. I know extensive testing is done before software is released, so I believe if you still have a problem after a reset, your issue is not software. No one is blaming the user. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 387
Message 29 of 45

I do have some thoughts, please don't think I'm challenging you in any way:

>>>>>>>>>>

You mentioned your issues started after a major update. If you have not done a reset after a major update, then i suspect something incompatible witht he in place upgrade. It happens - i have had it happen, and a reset is a lot faster then anything else. 

>>>>>>>>>>

Can I clarify what you mean here?  Are you suggesting that after every System Update, I have to factory reset my phone?  And then re-install, and set-up everything all over again (including certain settings for default apps)?  If that's the case, that seems like a flaw in of itself.  It almost seems unreasonable to me.  I've had other Android phones, and I've been a steady iPad User, and have had three different versions, and at no time have I ever had to factory reset anything.  Or, especially, run into situations where I have mysterious shut-offs while in the middle of mundane tasks for a smartphone.  I can't stress enough how little I do on this phone, the little amount of apps I download (and they aren't obscure or dangerous), how I turn off most notifications, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>

I had a G4 Plus (no longer) but I know others with it and they have no problems. So I doubt there is a design flaw as you describe or it should affect all devices. 

>>>>>>>>>>

Would that be the case?  For example, maybe some habit you have (e.g. always keeping it charged) avoids this issue.  Or, the flaw is in a production run, but not every production run for a certain phone.  You have to admit that there's a lot of smoke here when there are many, many, many people all experiencing the same issue.  And, as I've mentioned, I hear about -- as solutions -- clearing cache, Safe Mode, deleting apps, and factory resets.   But, I've never seen anyone ever report back with "that worked!".  It's always along the lines of people being exasperated and wanting to ditch the phone and motorola forever.  I'm certain I was just reading a thread where the guy did a factory reset and it still exhibited problems.  I would really like someone here to admit that the manufacturing of the phone, the battery, or some update/software issue could be the problem.

I can't stress this enough, this is an adult owned phone that has barely any apps on it, and the one's that exist are the standards like Waze, or Facebook, etc.  My usage is minimal (if I'm at work, it just sits in my drawer charging, and is there just to answer phone calls and texts), and when I'm at home, I'm mostly on my iPad.  Yet, the days where I actually go to use this -- for example, taking pics and video at both of my daughter's softball games -- I have it crashing on me left and right.  I posted that story here, and the extent of my usage was the text messaging app, photos app, and the camera app.  It shouldn't be like this.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 383
Message 30 of 45

Also, to be kind, can someone list - so it's all in one place -- instructions/links for every potential troubleshooting step?

For example, I know how to put it in Safe Mode -- hold the power button, until the Power Off message appears, then tap and hold that until it asks you to enter Safe Mode.  So, with that, I utilized the phone, on and off, until it crashed at 27% battery.  So that was one troubleshooting step - run it in Safe Mode, to see if it's a 3rd party app.

Can someone list "cache clearing" instructions (or link) - so I'm sure I did exactly what you all are looking for.

Or steps I can take to make a factory reset less painful, and to avoid the apps I've previously installed from installing immediately, or how to get back certain settings easily (like, for example, after the factory reset, I now have to go to every app and configure it to my liking?  Take play store - I know I've configured it in certain ways in regards to Updates and when they can be performed.  Or camera -  to ensure it's now going to the SD card and not Internal Memory.  Or the Keyboard settings one likes.  And on and on.  Like, every default app, and 3rd party app must have some configuration or setting I like that I now have to remember - because of a potential factory reset).

Or what other things can be done before a factory reset?  On my own?

Top Kudoed Authors