Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 433
Message 31 of 45

Re: Original thread completely abandoned: Moto G4 Plus crashes randomly

@wjcam99 wrote:

Also, to be kind, can someone list - so it's all in one place -- instructions/links for every potential troubleshooting step?

For example, I know how to put it in Safe Mode -- hold the power button, until the Power Off message appears, then tap and hold that until it asks you to enter Safe Mode.  So, with that, I utilized the phone, on and off, until it crashed at 27% battery.  So that was one troubleshooting step - run it in Safe Mode, to see if it's a 3rd party app.

Can someone list "cache clearing" instructions (or link) - so I'm sure I did exactly what you all are looking for.

Or steps I can take to make a factory reset less painful, and to avoid the apps I've previously installed from installing immediately, or how to get back certain settings easily (like, for example, after the factory reset, I now have to go to every app and configure it to my liking?  Take play store - I know I've configured it in certain ways in regards to Updates and when they can be performed.  Or camera -  to ensure it's now going to the SD card and not Internal Memory.  Or the Keyboard settings one likes.  And on and on.  Like, every default app, and 3rd party app must have some configuration or setting I like that I now have to remember - because of a potential factory reset).

Or what other things can be done before a factory reset?  On my own?

Here are the troubleshooting videos that cover safe mode, cache clear, and factory reset

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Motorola-Owner-s-Blog/The-DIY-Movement-why-not-for-your-phone/ba-p/3375...

This is the extent of troubleshooting i do as i can reset a phone, test it, then reinstall apps faster then I can go through settings. 

When you reset it will ask if you want to restore or setup as new. Different os though have different options - settings - backup and restore, you can disable auto restore as well on some OS versions. Camera, you can open camera, and go to camera settings (usually a swipe to one side) and change storage for pictures. 

If you do have an SD card, make sure you didn't format it as adopted/internal - if so that coudl be root of your problem too. 

You may think of a reset as time consuming, but compared to all the time you have spent on your problems up to now, a reset would be much faster. I can usually reconfigure everything in an hour so, but yes, I do find i have to go into some apps and reconfigure. 

The biggest thing for some users is SMS backup. This has not been an android feature in the past, so you may want to download an sms backup app if you care about old sms messages. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 426
Message 32 of 45

@wjcam99 wrote:

I do have some thoughts, please don't think I'm challenging you in any way:

>>>>>>>>>>

You mentioned your issues started after a major update. If you have not done a reset after a major update, then i suspect something incompatible witht he in place upgrade. It happens - i have had it happen, and a reset is a lot faster then anything else. 

>>>>>>>>>>

Can I clarify what you mean here?  Are you suggesting that after every System Update, I have to factory reset my phone?  And then re-install, and set-up everything all over again (including certain settings for default apps)?  If that's the case, that seems like a flaw in of itself.  It almost seems unreasonable to me.  I've had other Android phones, and I've been a steady iPad User, and have had three different versions, and at no time have I ever had to factory reset anything.  Or, especially, run into situations where I have mysterious shut-offs while in the middle of mundane tasks for a smartphone.  I can't stress enough how little I do on this phone, the little amount of apps I download (and they aren't obscure or dangerous), how I turn off most notifications, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>

I had a G4 Plus (no longer) but I know others with it and they have no problems. So I doubt there is a design flaw as you describe or it should affect all devices. 

>>>>>>>>>>

Would that be the case?  For example, maybe some habit you have (e.g. always keeping it charged) avoids this issue.  Or, the flaw is in a production run, but not every production run for a certain phone.  You have to admit that there's a lot of smoke here when there are many, many, many people all experiencing the same issue.  And, as I've mentioned, I hear about -- as solutions -- clearing cache, Safe Mode, deleting apps, and factory resets.   But, I've never seen anyone ever report back with "that worked!".  It's always along the lines of people being exasperated and wanting to ditch the phone and motorola forever.  I'm certain I was just reading a thread where the guy did a factory reset and it still exhibited problems.  I would really like someone here to admit that the manufacturing of the phone, the battery, or some update/software issue could be the problem.

I can't stress this enough, this is an adult owned phone that has barely any apps on it, and the one's that exist are the standards like Waze, or Facebook, etc.  My usage is minimal (if I'm at work, it just sits in my drawer charging, and is there just to answer phone calls and texts), and when I'm at home, I'm mostly on my iPad.  Yet, the days where I actually go to use this -- for example, taking pics and video at both of my daughter's softball games -- I have it crashing on me left and right.  I posted that story here, and the extent of my usage was the text messaging app, photos app, and the camera app.  It shouldn't be like this.

I am not saying every system update requires a reset, but in-place updates are not the same as clean installs. The volume of apps and combinations of apps is unpredictable. So if you do an update, have issues, the fastest fix i have found is a reset. This is also true of windows or mac - in place upgrades can and do cause issues. I have been in IT for many years and working with android for a long time. I prefer fast fixes. If I had access to all logs, and developers that could fix things, maybe i would take a different approach, but my phone is a tool, and I need it to work, so fastest fix is bestest fix in my opinion.

I am not sure what is meant but apps not being obscure or dangerous. This is not possible to qualify as Facebook app, one of the more popular, has been shown to be a massive battery drain; even if not being used. Various internet sites/reviews have shown it is a problem app. There are probably thousands more that are just coded poorly and have errors that impact how a phone works. There is no way any vendor can test them all. 

This is a user to user forum - there is no one here that can admit there are defects. And even if someone of that level did show up here, you can look at other vendor forums to see that no vendors ever admit a device has a defect. As moderators we do report what we see in the forums, and Moto investigates. Often they ask to look at app behavior remotely, and in most cases, these reboots are caused by misbehaving apps. 

I don't think ownership of the phone matters - adult or child. The phone should work well and be stable. No one is accusing you of doing anything wrong. But phones are in some ways black boxes - you have to rule out what you can and can't control. If you do  a reset and the phone still fails with NO apps installed or restored, then everything else has been ruled out (removing SD card and SIM card in some instances my be needed too) and the phone itself has a fault. As there is nothing else a user can do at this point, the next step is likely service of the device. But if the phone works great with no apps installed, then it starts to appear an app is to blame. 

As you don't want to share your phone information in your profile, no one can look at anything remotely to make any other determinations. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 418
Message 33 of 45

Hi, wjcam99.

Thank you for all your inputs and feedback, I understand your frustration, apologize for the delay in response. I also understand that you have performed all the basic troubleshooting steps, as also suggested by AlphaDog -- a reset/FDR without restoring any apps would narrow down the issue if still persists then service/repair would be the next step as we know.

Let me assist you further in regards to your case, please write us an email at supportforums@motorola.com -- sharing your IMEI number, build number, current patch so that we can escalate your case and have one of our service team investigate in regards to your case and help you resolve the issue accordingly.

Please be advised that we will do our best to help you resolve the ongoing issue.

NotePlease do not start new threads as it causes clutter and makes it hard to manage the same. Please follow our Forums Rules if you want to participate. 

We thank you for your patience! 

Thanks,

Swaraj

Motorola Support

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 351
Message 34 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class action

Ok. I just proved it was the phone, as I've thought all along.

Yesterday, in the morning, I tried to use Facebook Messenger to video chat.  Every time we initially connected, within a second it crashed.  I tried multiple times and eventually gave up.  That was in the morning before I left for work.

At work, I kept it charged and didn't use it.  But I did delete every app on my phone, before work began.  I wanted to eliminate apps as an issue before I factory reset.

On the way home, I wanted to test my phone using GPS and Google maps.  As soon as it started it's route, every single time, it immediately crashed.  Now I'm just fed up.  I can't use this phone.  Even starting at 100%.

So all last night I backed everything up and factory reset.

This morning I had to drive to Walmart, so I decided to use GPS on the way there, using google maps.  Remember my phone is factory reset and it's at 100%.  Every single time, it immediately crashed once it started it's directions. Again, not able to use default apps on a factory reset phone.

Now what?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 344
Message 35 of 45

Re: Moto G4 Plus it crashes randomly (usually when battery <= 50%) - should we file class action

@wjcam99 wrote:

Ok. I just proved it was the phone, as I've thought all along.

Yesterday, in the morning, I tried to use Facebook Messenger to video chat.  Every time we initially connected, within a second it crashed.  I tried multiple times and eventually gave up.  That was in the morning before I left for work.

At work, I kept it charged and didn't use it.  But I did delete every app on my phone, before work began.  I wanted to eliminate apps as an issue before I factory reset.

On the way home, I wanted to test my phone using GPS and Google maps.  As soon as it started it's route, every single time, it immediately crashed.  Now I'm just fed up.  I can't use this phone.  Even starting at 100%.

So all last night I backed everything up and factory reset.

This morning I had to drive to Walmart, so I decided to use GPS on the way there, using google maps.  Remember my phone is factory reset and it's at 100%.  Every single time, it immediately crashed once it started it's directions. Again, not able to use default apps on a factory reset phone.

Now what?

If you did a factory data reset and tested BEFORE installing or restoring ANY apps, and problem persists, then service/repair/replace is next step.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 318
Message 36 of 45

Oh yes, I definitely have not installed a thing.  As I've mentioned, I've been programming for 20 years and am a pretty good debugger.  That's why I was certain this was a flaw with Motorola, and not anything I did.

This phone is absolutely miserable, and I just purchased an LG G6, and will never be a Motrola customer again.

Service/Repair is not an option as they want a $125 "out of warranty" fee - which is ludicrous.  I have a feeling that this is an issue that plagues many a phone (class action?), so why would I pay $125 to go through this again?

In addition, I am adamant I should not have to pay an "out of warranty" fee.  I contacted Motroloa in August of 2017 about this issue, long before my end of warranty date of december 2017.  So they knew about this issue long before my warranty expired and I had an open case with them (that they have closed, in the meantime).  So, if I contacted them about this issue in August, why the bleep does it matter that I'm trying to get it serviced now?  I'm not opening a new case, with a new issue, this is the issue I described back in August.  I'm certain that if I was in front of a judge (court) they would agree with me, but instead Im dealing with customer support who don't ever know what to do if the issue is "off-script".  I have the time and patience to take them to small claims court, but how the heck does one do that with Motorola?  Do I have to go to the city that their corporate HQ resides?  Anyone know?

That being said, for those reading, I am ready to get involved with class action suits and will contact a lawyer that specifically handles these cases to see if it's worth it.  I'll report back to this thread about it.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 313
Message 37 of 45

Also, does anyone know a way to do a factory reset that takes me back to the O/S version of when I first bought it?  Or something.

Here's what I mean:  This phone was bad before they all suggested to do a factory reset here, but it has gotten infinitely worse since I did.

Pre-factory reset, I could at least use navigation.  Now, I can't.  At all.  I literally can't watch videos, use the camera, use Navigation/Maps - and I can get this app to crash 100x a day if you like, even if the battery is at 100%.  This phone, while I'm waiting for my new one, can really only make calls and receive texts.  I don't dare do anything else.

For example, I've also had crashes because of:

a) After a crash, when I started it up, and before i actually loaded to the point that you can log-in to your phone .. it crashed again.

b) Or, when it loaded (after a crash), and I went to type in my 4 digit code to unlock my phone ... it crashed again.

c) I went to text message someone and clikced the microphone on the keyboard ... it crashed again

d) I don't even trust my phone for alarms now, as I find that the phone just shuts off now, without me doing a thing.  If it gets some call or text, I think, it will just shut off.

When I first started this thread, it was "random crashes" when battery usually under 50%.  The wonderful support I got here, that told me to factory reset, well since I did that, the phone is not usable.  Think about what I described above.  I can be at 100%, factory reset, no apps installed, and I can get it to crash 100's of times in a day, just by using it.

IT IS TERRIBLE.

And as I mentioned, factory reset takes it back to your last Over The Air Update.  I'd love to see how this phone was, in the state it was when I first got it.  So I can identify more clearly if it's some update that caused this issue (which I had mentioned), or if it's some weird battery defect issue.  I mean, it's getting worse by the day.  It's tough to determine, but all I know is that a factory reset ruined this phone completely, as it crashes so often, for the littlest functionality, that I'm basically in emergency mode looking for a new phone desperately quick (which I ordered today).  What a piece of junk this phone is, and I will never, ever buy a Motorola again.

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 304
Message 38 of 45

I NOW CAN'T GET THE PHONE TO TURN ON!!!

I just received a phone call (I heard it ring once), and then the phone shut off.

I haven't been able to turn it on since.  It crashes before it finishes starting.

And before that, I noticed that it stopped charging.  Wow, what a piece of garbage.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 292
Message 39 of 45

Hi wjcam99,

Sorry about the ongoing trouble, I understand how frustrating that could be, as suggested earlier the next option at this point would be to submit your device for service/repair so that our service center team can further diagnose your device and help you accordingly.

Regards,
Swaraj

Moto Support

wjcam99
SCSI Port
Views: 285
Message 40 of 45

Yes, of course, and as I mentioned, I did call them.  I was on the phone with them for over an hour while driving to New Jersey (USA) a week or so ago.

They tried charging me a $125 "out of warranty" fee for a defective phone.  Now, as I mentioned, I called in August 2017, four months before my warranty expired in December 2017.  They opened a case, I described the random shut downs, and how they were getting worse.  So, I opnened a case in August 2017 - WELL BEFORE MY WARRANTY EXPIRED.  Time constraints, at that time (and I can get into further detail), led me to post-pone working through this issue.  But the case, as far as I'm concerend, was opened, and I had mentioned that I would get back to them at a later time.

After finally getting around to a final, drastic factory reset - which somehow has made this worse (can't use the phone at all, now the phone won't charge, etc) - I called back, asking for that replacement phone we talked about in August, and they would not send it to me unless I paid $125.

THAT IS UTTER NONSENSE.  I informed Motroloa of my issue well before the warranty expired.  I told them I would like to receive the new phone at a later time.  When I finally called to get this phone, they now want to charge me $125.  I think they are wrong, and I'd really like to take them to small claims court at this point, but am not sure if that's possible.

I'd like people who read this to know that these phones are garbage, I personally believe there are defects with the Moto G4 Plus that Motroloa doesn't want to own up to.  I believe there should be a class action suit.  I believe their customer service is horrible.  I believe that Levono has ruined things.  I will never, ever buy a Motorola phone again.  Ever.

I do currently have an LG phone coming to me, but as I mentioned, I'm dealing now with a phone that won't charge and you can't replace the battery.  So the days I'm waiting for my new phone, I can't use my existing barely 2 year old phone at all.  It crashes (if I could start it) and I now can't charge it.  Thanks Levono!!  Real swell!!

Top Kudoed Authors