Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 29,006
Message 1 of 294

Moto G4 Plus keeps randomly shutting down

Hi,

I love this phone, and it's worked great until about two weeks ago when it started shutting itself off at random times.  It's gradually been getting more and more frequent.  Sometimes it's when I get a phone call, text message, notification, or try to use the camera.  Other times it's for no apparent reason at all.  It shut itself off one night, and since I use it for my morning alarm clock, I was an hour and a half late for work.   Several times I caught a glimpse of it when it was shutting down and it said that the battery was at 0%, but when I plugged it in to charge it and turned it back on, it was up around 78%, 55%...nothing anywhere near 0%.  I googled it and saw a lot of people are having this issue,  What is being done to correct it?  I really love this phone, but right now, it's more functional as a paperweight.

Thanks,

Kris

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 28,753
Message 2 of 294

Re: Moto G4 Plus keeps randomly shutting down

Hi KrisT

May I ask when and what happened before it start? I suggest calibrating the battery and see if it helps. Hold power button until device reboots. Upon reboot plug into the charger. Allow the phone to charge to 100% and leave on the charger for at least an additional hour. Let me know if it helps. 

Regards,
Ella
Motorola Support

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 28,707
Message 3 of 294

I'm trying that to see if it helps. It tends to come and go. It will be ok for a while, then it starts doing it more and more often. I'll see what calibrating the battery does. Thanks.
JD14
Paper Tape
Views: 28,673
Message 4 of 294

Dear ELLA

I am having exactly the same problem with the same behaiviour with the same phone. The device was working wonderfully until a month ago.

I've tried calibrating the battery twice and also performing a factory data reset.

The phone is still having the same problem. What should we do? I see in other forums that this seems to be a common probel among other devices. Is it a hardware problem? Or is it linked to the last security update? I think I remember updating the phone a few weeks ago.

Best Regards

J.

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 28,658
Message 5 of 294

I recalibrated the battery as you suggested, and at first, thought that it helped, as it didn't shut itself off for a few hours.  I went to use it later, only to find that it WAS indeed off.  When I turned it back on, it powered back up, then said 0% remaining battery and shut itself down again.  I plugged it in to charge, and it was immediately reading at 58% charged.  All I had used it for was to send and receive maybe 6 text messages, so there's no reason for it to be at 58%, let alone 0%.  

As far as what you asked before as to what I was doing before it shut down... it can be nearly anything...trying to take a picture, receiving an incoming notification, trying to place a phone call or receiving a phone call, trying to send a text message, trying to read an email...basically anything and everything.

All help would be greatly appreciated.  This is obviously a known issue company-wide with this model of phone.  What

is Motorola doing in order right the wrong?

Thank you,

Kris

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 28,655
Message 6 of 294

Wouldn't it be awesome if they put out an update that would fix this issue?!?

JD14
Paper Tape
Views: 28,629
Message 7 of 294

Well this problem seems to have been going on for a while... let's hope they fix it.

JD14
Paper Tape
Views: 28,203
Message 8 of 294

Dear Ella

There has been no reply to this topic. There has been no solution either, no patch, no fix, nothing. It seems to be a global problem with several phones and users involved.

I wil never buy another motorola phone. Unless you give us a solution to this problem.

Best regards

J.

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 28,181
Message 9 of 294

In addition to recalibrating the battery, as you suggested, I took my phone into Batteries Plus to have the battery itself tested, and they said that the battery is in GREAT shape, so it's definitely the PHONE and NOT the battery as all of the posts I have seen coming from Motorola have suggested.  Why isn't Motorola doing ANYTHING about this when it's obviously a very wide-spread problem with this particular phone?  If this isn't fixed immediately with an update, I'm going to have no choice but to buy another phone, and you can bet your bottom dollar that it WON'T be a Motorolla, and that I'll let all of my friends and family know what my experience has been and why I would strongly suggest against anyone else purchasing one either.

KimRasmussen
What's DOS?
Views: 28,129
Message 10 of 294

I just started having the SAME issue with SAME phone this week. I was coming to this site to find help, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. I love this phone, but I already had to send in for a replacement last fall when the screen kept going haywire.

Top Kudoed Authors