Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishfash
Punch Card
Views: 1,201
Message 111 of 335

Re: Moto G4 Plus keeps randomly shutting down

My Moto G4 was also randomly switching off, and after a week of troubleshooting I found the root cause. This may help someone, or could be an isolated issue with my phone.

If the battery was less than 70% and there was no wireless connection present, and if 4G mobile data was turned on the phone would switch off randomly. I proved this by charging the phone to 100%, disabling 4G mobile data and the phone would not switch off randomly. I tested this over a 2 day period and the phone did not switch off once.

The phone was then sent to Motorola for repair, and I sent a detailed description on how to replicate the issue. I received the phone back from repair yesterday and here are their comments via the retailer.

"At this time I would like to confirm that in order to resolve the issue with your device turning off on its own, we have been advised the power key and part of the circuit surrounding it was replaced. This only seemed more apparent when using 4G due to the increased power demand that it requires."

I have had the phone for a day and it has not switched off yet, 4G mobile data is enabled. I am hoping the issue is now fixed.

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 1,146
Message 112 of 335

You'll have to keep us updated after a week or two.  Several of us have had temporary fixes that we have gotten excited about for several days, only to have it start up again within a week or two.  It would be great if you found the solutuon!  Even better if they would stand behind their product and repair them all since it is an extremely wide-spread known issue.  Did they charge you for the repair, and if so, how much, if you don't mind my asking?

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,136
Message 113 of 335

I hope it's fixed for you, I was going to ask if you had to pay as well or was it still under warranty. If we all have the same problem I don't think we should pay either as it's known and in such a short time, why should we be out of pocket. I am reluctant to send it to a Lenovo service center as I was told i would still have to pay something just to look at it even if I didn't want them to fix it as it might cost too much. I would rather put the money towards a new phone.  I can hear mine in my pocket re starting itself, it happens quite often now, sometimes it switches off and stays off.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,122
Message 114 of 335

I have always been a fan of Motorola phones and went back with them with this G4 after a few other makes of phones which I either didn't like or got bored with. This was the best phone I had ever had, I like it very much and it's been great until now, 1 year and 8 months isn't that long but it does make you wonder if they put inferior parts inside to fail just after the warranty expires. I did quite like the new G6 but I am a bit put off now in case the same happens with that one and it's more expensive. I have even been googling for G6 issues already. I think I might end up buying a new phone as it's doing my head in trying to start it back up again. It takes ages sometimes and even plugging the charger in when it's crashed off like this it doesn't charge, there's no response at all  it's like the phone is dead and after starting in recovery mode it's alive again and charges.

fishfash
Punch Card
Views: 1,117
Message 115 of 335

I purchasd the phone from John Lewis and it came with a 2 year warranty. The unexpected shutdown started happening around 1 year and 1 month after purchase.

So no charge for the repair, it was covered under the JL warranty and took around a week for repair.

I will keep an eye on this thread and post back in a few weeks.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,112
Message 116 of 335

Wow that was lucky getting a 2 year warranty, it would of just run out otherwise. I got mine from Argos with a standard 1 year warranty sadly. Hope it's fixed for you.

Anonymous_User
Not applicable
Views: 1,078
Message 117 of 335

[Removed] Left it over night with 4G off and it had stayed on without switching off, over 8 hours without a crash. Then blow me, as soon as I plugged in the charger to give it a boost before work it switched off, hadn't switched the data back on either. Bit later I took it off charge and 4 times it rebooted in 15 minutes without me even touching the [Removed] thing!!! I am looking for a new phone at the weekend 😠

Edited for site rule violation - Profanity. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Moto-Owners-Forum-Site-Rules/m-p/3269704/highlight/true#... - Swaraj

fishfash
Punch Card
Views: 1,071
Message 118 of 335

I think that kind of confirms there is a hardware fault with the power key and circuit.

I had a similar issue before the repair, the phone would randomly turn off even if it's plugged into the wall. I have read members here have replaced their batteries and that has fixed the issue for a few weeks, only for the issue to return. The phone I got back from repair is my orginal battery, and I also suffered similar issues before the repair where the battery would be down to 0% after an unexpected power off.

I can only guess the members who have had new batteries installed was a temporary mask that hid the underlying fault. I did mention to John Lewis that this problem is widespread, their reply was that the information they got from Motorola repair is that "it's not a known issue".

Only time will tell if the repair performed on my phone is for the long-term.

KrisT
SCSI Port
Views: 1,033
Message 119 of 335

Of course they're going to say that it's not a known issue...just like they have marked all of the posts about this "unknown" issue on their forums as being "solved'.  They are desperately trying to convince themselves mainly, as the rest of the world is not believing their garbage, that it has nothing to do with a defective product that they need to acknowledge, address, and correct on their dime before no one ever wants to buy their phones again,  Unless it's already too late for that.

Vamshifriend
Paper Tape
Views: 1,023
Message 120 of 335

Absolutely. It would be a good idea to start a Twitter hashtag "never buy moto again" and a similar facFaceb page and spread the word. We can provide reference link to this forum and thread also.

Top Kudoed Authors