Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 491
Message 321 of 330

Re: Moto G4 Plus keeps randomly shutting down

Yeah same here. No crashes since I did that method but the battery seems to drain faster now. The phone has had a lot of updates and apps since so could be a factor in the batter life. BTW it is pretty cool that this 3 year old phone still is capatible with all apps thrown its way.

tallbob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 485
Message 322 of 330

I did put GSAM battery monitor on my phone to try to track down battery usage...  It shows this as my consumption sources:

Screen: 15%
Phone Radio: 12%
Wifi Active: 1%
Held Awake: 2%
App Usage: 69%

Losing 6% per hour - and app usage breaks down as:

Kernel : 13%
Android System : 11.8%
Facebook : 9.1%
Podkicker : 6.2%
Puzzle Page: 4.6%

System UI: 4.5%
Google Services: 3.7%
Google: 2.3%
System (media.codec) : 2%
Chrome: 1.7%
Hub 1.5%
System (wakelock) : 1.2%
(all others under 1%)

So I don't see a single huge drain.  I had a 1st-gen Moto G and at one point my anti-virus was consuming 70% of my battery.  But here, I see what looks like a system that after years of updates is consuming more and more power, but moreso it looks like my battery is just wearing out over time, since there isn't a huge drain to point to.  I've been tempted to buy a new 3000mAh battery to see if it will help out - they are pretty inexpensive. 

Sandeep81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 317
Message 323 of 330

Hello 

I am also facing this issue .. I there anyone in india that had same problem and his issue is fixed ? 

I tried to search in internet not able find any link or person , every one is suggesting repair  but after repair it is fixed for anyone ?

I am looking repair means just repair not replacing everying in mobile and just keeping the logo 

thanks 

tallbob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 300
Message 324 of 330

The general solution for the random shutdown issue is to unplug the battery, wait a good long time (20-30 minutes, even), then plug it back in and go through a full calibration cycle afterwards.

NOTE: THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY

So if you have any warranty left (not likely), don't do this - send it in for repair.

This has worked for me for months - not a single random shutdown since.  I did just order a new battery, though, as the battery life has slowly dropped to just a few hours.

Sandeep81
Fanfold Paper
Views: 276
Message 325 of 330

Hello 

Thanks for the update , I have replaced the battery still same issue . 

What you mean unplug the battery ? Remove the battey from Mobile by using the screwdrives  and keep in open 20-30min ?

Or 

Just disconnect the mobile from powesource and wait for 20-30min ?

Willcom
Punch Card
Views: 215
Message 326 of 330

Well I have a regular G4 and not sure what gen it is. So I deleted some apps I don't use and while I am at work I try not to keep the phone in my pocket. This phone has the feature that when touched it will display the time so while in my pocket I believe it was constantly doing a screen drain.

Now that I don't keep it on me at work or in my bag the battery life has been great. Obviously if you are on the go the battery will drain if it is on your person. Also I now use adaptive brightness and keep the display in the middle in terms of background lighting. Oh one more thing that could have also helped it turning off location if you do not need it with google.

Not sure how long I can rock this old phone out for since this model is not supported with updates anymore. Anyway for those that still have this old phone, yes unscrewing the back and taking out the battery and then letting it rest for awhile did recalibrate the battery for me. If you review my old comments on here I tried many things and then finally tried this method and it worked. Taking out the screws was pain because they kept getting stripped but just used different sizes of the screwdrivers and it eventually worked.

Mshrawan
What's DOS?
Views: 122
Message 327 of 330

Same problem ... Worst phone ever

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 89
Message 328 of 330

Dear Mshrawan,

Sorry to learn about the ongoing issue. May I know if you have tried the above steps to see if that makes any difference? 

Regards.

Swaraj

Motorola Support

tallbob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 74
Message 329 of 330

Sandeep81 - 

By disconnecting the battery, we mean opening up the case, and physically unplugging the battery from the motherboard.  Opening the case is what will void your warranty.  The phone should NOT be plugged in while you're doing this - you want the phone's motherboard to be starved of power.

tallbob
Fanfold Paper
Views: 72
Message 330 of 330

Willcom,

You did know that you can disable that feature, right?  

Go to the Moto App, then choose display.  Then simply turn that feature off on the next window that pops up, and it won't turn the screen on anymore with movement.

That said, not carrying it around all the time will give you a longer battery life in my experience - moving from one corner of my office building to the other means being handed off from router to router, and that does consume power.

Top Kudoed Authors