Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PhilM1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 238
Message 1 of 6

Moto G4 Plus will not start up -says no service and missing SD card

For the past few weeks my Moto G4 Plus shows a message while starting up that says the "SanDisk SD card is missing" and to reinsert it but then it usually continues on and stafts up normally - but not today.  Now the screen won't even unlock when I push the power button, but then it will randomly show the screen but it just shows the battery is fully charged but says there is "No Service" and then nothing works, I am unable to unlock my screen to enter my pin.  After a few seconds the screen goes black again and then the process repeats.  I have tried rebooting the phone by holding in the power button several times but nothing changes.  It does not even give me an option to turn off the phone.  I have taken off the back of the phone and removed and reinserted the SanDisk SD card but still nothing changes.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 235
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moto G4 Plus will not start up -says no service and missing SD card

Try long long press holding the power button in until the phone restarts?

PhilM1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 226
Message 3 of 6

Yes I did but nothing changes.

I tried removing the SD card and restarting the phone without it and now the phone does start up as normal but unfortunately I am missing all the data on the card...  I will try formatting the SD card and reusing it and if that doesn't work I have another card I can try....

Thanks for your suggestion.

Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 222
Message 4 of 6

OK

Try this.

This time hold down the Volume DOWN button and then hold in the POWER button and keep holding them.With luck this will enter,"Fast Boot" mode.

Now use the Volume key to move the cursor to,"Recovery Mode" and then press the power button.

After a few seconds you should see a,"Dead Android".

Now Press the POWER button and immediatley after press the VOLUME UP button you will enter recovery mode.

Again use the Volume up/downkey to go the the Wipe-Cache-Partition section.Then press the Power button and again use the Volume Up/down to choose yes and pres the power button.It may take a while for the phone to wipe the cache.This  is a non  data destructive but do this and ONLY this in this area of the phone and it can take several minutes for it to clear the cache so be patient as depends on whats on the phone etc.My G3 takes about 5 mins but yours might be a lot faster.

Watch this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo7mYlurscM

I've bypassed the way this guy does it as you cannot shut the phone down but once you are in,"Fast Boot Mode" it's all the same operation.

Hopefully this will clear the fault.If no the next step would be a,"Wipe Data/Factory Reset" from Recovery mode but this wipes the phone completely Smiley Sad

PhilM1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 174
Message 5 of 6

My final solution which appears to be working was just to remove the micro SD card, it turns out I did not need the extra memory and everything seems to work fine. Although I had to reinstall a number of apps and copy all my music back onto the phone. My wife had a Moto 3G with a micro SD card & just after I bought my Moto 4G she had lots of trouble with it as well - where the phone thought it was missing and it didn't think she had enough memory to take pictures with the camera, etc. I think there may be something wrong with the micro SD cards getting corrupted - bottom line seems to be that if you can get by without the micro SD card, you will probably have fewer problems with your phone.
Porphyrius
802.11n
Views: 170
Message 6 of 6

I have no problem using Micro SD cards on any of my phones but I prefer not to use them as Internal memory but don't trust them as a secure stroage option hence regular data backups Smiley Happy

Top Kudoed Authors