Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clmz
Paper Tape
Views: 71,502
Message 1 of 230

Moto G4 SIM card not detected/dissapears

I bought a Moto G4 with 16 GB internal storage (US edition, so only 1 SIM slot) a few weeks ago.  It seemed to be working well out of the box and I made test phone calls without issue.  After setting it down for a few minutes, when I checked on the phone again, it showed that I did not have any network and that there was no SIM card in the phone.  I removed the SIM card and replaced it but nothing changed.  I restarted the phone and the SIM card showed up again for a while and then dissapeared again.  I found that I had to restart the phone to get the SIM card to show up.  I am not using any adapters on the SIM card and I just got a new SIM card before I got this phone.  The SIM card works without issue on other phones and I have tested another working SIM card on this phone as well and it has the same behavior.  I brought the Moto G4 back to the store for an exchange, thinking may be I was unlucky and got a bad phone.  However, I am still experiencing the exact same behavior.  I do not think it is an issue with my SIM card as it is quite new (few weeks old) and I have replicatd the issue on another SIM card that is also working.  They are both on AT&T network and do not have issue being used in other phones.  It seems to be a software issue as it only gets fixed if I restart the phone.  No number of taking out and replacing the SIM card fixes the issue.  If I power up the phone without the SIM card and leave it on for a period of time and then put the SIM card in, it will not detect it and requires a restart.

I searched online for solutions and it almost seems like SIM card detection/dropped detection is an issue with the Moto G line of phones.  I found mention of a software patch for a previous version of the Moto G, so I am not sure if it is the same issue here.  Most users seem to be using the dual SIM version, so maybe this is just a bug in the US/single-slot version?  Maybe I am just very unlucky and received a bad phone and exchanged for a defective one as well?

Model: XT1625

unlocked phone

1 SIM slot

carrier:  AT&T

SIM:  smooth edges, not cut, no adapter, micro-SIM

time for phone to drop SIM detection:  < 30 minutes

Any suggestions or thoughts would be very much appreciated.  This is my first time using a Motorola smart phone, but I think I may switch back to Samsung if I can't even use the basic phone features (calling, receiving call, SMS) without restarting the phone each time. 

Thanks!

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 70,691
Message 2 of 230

Re: Moto G4 SIM card not detected/dissapears

Most issues with previous gen G you mention have been tracked to cut down SIM cards. 

Since your problem is reproducible, try restarting in safe mode. To reboot into safe mode, tap the power button until you see power off on screen. Then tap and hold power off (on screen) and a new menu will appear to reboot into safe mode.

If that improves things, some app is the culprit. If not, try a phone factory data reset. If the problem persists, then your phone may need service. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
clmz
Paper Tape
Views: 70,663
Message 3 of 230

Thanks for the suggestions.  Unforunately, on the first Moto G4, I did the factory reset twice without improvement.  I did not know about safe mode then.  However, I tried safe mode a number of times today on the Moto G4 that I exchanged the initial Moto G4 for and I still get the same issue.  I then did factory reset and nothing changed.  The overally time to drop the SIM card is closer to 1hr, but neither safe mode, nor factory reset fixes the issue for over an hour.

I guess I'll be returning this for something else then... Anyone else with the US version here? Am I really the only one who has had this issue?  Are there any logs that I can pull from the phone to see where the trouble may be originating from?  If there's nothing else that can be done, I guess this is the end of a short trip with a fun phone (loved everything about it except not being able to make/receive calls).  Thanks for the help!

rafamaia21
Paper Tape
Views: 70,639
Message 4 of 230

Hello all, I am having the same issue. I just bought the MOTO G4 Plus 64GB version (US/1 slot) and some time working properly after inserting the SIM (not cut) it just shows the "No SIM card" message. The difference is that even after restarting it, it does not recognize the SIM card. I tried the SIM in different phones and it is working perfectly. I've also tried restarting and doing a factory reset, and yet the issue still continues.

I would appreciate a lot some help here ASAP.

Many thanks and best.

rafamaia21
Paper Tape
Views: 70,631
Message 5 of 230

Dear all, please help. I need (we all need) quick replies as I rely on the phone for several activities and I do not have a spare one right now.
GaryB44
What's DOS?
Views: 70,581
Message 6 of 230

I, too, am having this same problem with 32GB Amazon Prime special XT1625 Moto G4. 2 new sim cards tested from my "current" carrier Consumer Cellular who uses AT&T network with same power reset cycling time of apprx 1 hr. Also in Safe Mode the "No Sim Card-emergency calls only" message still appears nor did it fix the problem; sim cards provided are Nano style requiring the Micro adapter (not cut, smooth). I am thinking some sort of software problem involving various network carriers and their setups for the sim card, but could be hardware problem as well.
Sure would like some support on this vexing issue; like the phone but not if it can't do the phoning bit on a regular basis. How about it Lenovo/Motorola ?
clmz
Paper Tape
Views: 70,206
Message 7 of 230

I just wanted to give an update for anyone who may come across this thread in the future.  Since it sounds like there is no support from Motorola/Lenovo for those of us who have this issue, I decided to swap over to the Samsung Galaxy line and have been issue free ever since.  Really the issue seems to just be on this phone or this line of phones, so you are unlikely to see this issue if you buy any other brand. I tested my SIM card out on some Windows phones and also some cheap flip phones and didn't have issues there.  

It is really unfortunate that I was not able to use the new Moto G4 as it was pretty nice, and I agree with GaryB44 that it may be some odd combination of carrier and software on the Moto G4.  If you are running into this issue, it is probably best to just stop using the Moto G4 or maybe even the Moto G line, because there seems to be some inherent compatibility issue and no amount of restarting, resetting, and phone replacement fixes the issue.

It would be great if Motorola/Lenovo was willing to troubleshoot this issue more and I would be happy to help out with that effort, but it seems like it is most likely not worth their resources since the number of us who have this issue is seemingly small. 

The best to all of you.  Hope your phone issues are few and rare.

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 70,167
Message 8 of 230

Hello everyone.

The Moto G4/G4 Plus is compatible with AT&T and Consumer Cellular(AT&T & T-Mobile). We have seen some complaints with activation with AT&T, but we have seen users have success with visiting an AT&T store and having the phone activated in the store. As for Consumer Cellular. We have not seen any issues with Consumer Cellular (T-Mobile) but have seen issues with Consumer Cellular (AT&T). We're looking into the issues with Consumer Cellular (AT&T). 

-Tom

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 70,155
Message 9 of 230

I'm not convinced that all the issues with compatibility are related to the design or function of the Moto G4 line. Too many customers, from ALL the different carriers have had issues. Verizon is still unwilling to fully support carrier-agnostic phones. Yes, my G4 works on Verizon (and I get LTE, WiFi calling,etc.) BUT... as late as yesterday, Verizon's "system" STILL does not "recognize" the phone. As soon as I try to make a change in our plan, the change is rejected by a system error. If there didn't happen to be a knowledgeable long-time Verizon employee working in my local Verizon store, I couldn't change anything. He has a method of swapping sim cards around, making changes, and then swapping them back. It's ridiculous.

Another CSR told me that "Verizon doesn't really like customers to use phones that aren't designed for our network because they won't be compatible." I I told him that was an erroneous theory because the phone is designed to work on just about on any carrier, here and abroad...AND... mine has been working on Verizon since July. I also pointed out that Verizon has had an "exclusive" on a number of Moto phones over the years. He looked baffled, but then so many of them do.

cjsks
Paper Tape
Views: 69,884
Message 10 of 230

I have the exact same issue. Brand new Moto G4, unlocked from Amazon (the no ad version), right out of the box, no changes to settings or apps, and it fails to recognize my SIM card after about an hour. If I reboot I get it back... for about an hour.

I went to the AT&T store, got setup with a brand new SIM card, the phone lost the SIM again, after about an hour. Is there really no known solution to this?? (TOM - is there something specific that AT&T needs to do to "activate" the phone aside from issuing a new SIM??)

I really like the phone otherwise, but this is a deal breaker, might have to go Samsung after all.