Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thump3r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,291
Message 1 of 7

Moto G4 Swelling Battery

Hello

I have noticed over the last few days that the back of my phone has developed non symetrical curvature. Upon removing the back cover I have discovered that the battery appears to be swolen.

What does this mean? I have heard of exploding batteries in phones before, is this a signal?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,270
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moto G4 Swelling Battery

@Thump3r wrote:

Hello

I have noticed over the last few days that the back of my phone has developed non symetrical curvature. Upon removing the back cover I have discovered that the battery appears to be swolen.

What does this mean? I have heard of exploding batteries in phones before, is this a signal?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

A swelling battery in any device requires immediate attention. You should replace the battery. If the battery is removable, remove it. If not, you should turn the phone off and not charge or use it until the battery is replaced. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Thump3r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,254
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the reply AlphaDog

I have had the phone a little over a year, is this normal behaviour for a battery to swell, leading to safety issues and rendering my device useless until a replacement is installed?

I will contact UK service centre for assistance.

Cheers

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 2,236
Message 4 of 7

@Thump3r wrote:

Thanks for the reply AlphaDog

I have had the phone a little over a year, is this normal behaviour for a battery to swell, leading to safety issues and rendering my device useless until a replacement is installed?

I will contact UK service centre for assistance.

Cheers

It is not unusual. It is an issue to look for. LiOn batteres can swell like alkaline batteries can corrode. 

I have had phone batteries swell. I have no percentages to offer, but i would expect many have experienced it - it likely is a function of how long you have been using mobile devices.  

The batteries like the phone, have a one year warranty. Most batteries (like phones) will likely last many years. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Thump3r
Paper Tape
Views: 2,177
Message 5 of 7

Update:

After a Live Chat support session with a Motorola support agent I was advised to send my device into the local UK service centre.

Half an hour of monotonous repeating hold music later I finally got through to someone who advised me that, ontop of the £7 postage to send them my device, they would charge me a £34 assessment charge to determine what the problem is (the battery, duh!), and a £19 handling fee should I decide not to proceed. So £60 just to tell me what I already know.

Bizarreley, they were unable to advise me how much a replacement battery would cost??

Considering the device was only £140 new I felt this was a total rip off.

So a brief search found me a replacement battery for £20 and a how to video.

Looks simple enough so a DIY job for me.

Rant over Smiley Happy

Annaluna
Paper Tape
Views: 746
Message 6 of 7

My childs GK 40 battery blew the back off their phone burning up the phone and was too hot to touch wihout protection to get it out of the house, what if my child had been holding it?  Is this a common problem?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 721
Message 7 of 7

@Annaluna wrote:

My childs GK 40 battery blew the back off their phone burning up the phone and was too hot to touch wihout protection to get it out of the house, what if my child had been holding it?  Is this a common problem?

Not common, but it can happen with any lithium ion battery. See comments above. 

Top Kudoed Authors