06-14-2016

UK

1 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 1 of 72

Moto G4 Unable to connect with USB

2016-06-14, 11:11 AM

Hi I recently aquired my Moto g4 running Android 6.0.1, but am unable to see the phone from a PC

running windows 7. If I have the tethering ON, the pc does not see the phone at all, if tethering

is OFF then the phone appears in computer window but no content is displayed if selected. Any ideas any one?

Solved! See the solution
Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Views: 132760
  • Message 2 of 72

Re: Moto G4 Unable to connect with USB

2016-06-14, 11:38 AM

No idea about tethering, but to see phone content on PC, pull down notification bar on phone when phone connected and switch from charge USB to mtp mode.  

Try  using search on the forums, we have dozens of threads asking the same thing. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

06-14-2016

UK

1 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 3 of 72

2016-06-14, 11:55 AM

Yup! that worked...DOH! did try to search, but found nothing....

Options

12 Posts

07-07-2016

IN

9 Signins

118 Page Views

• Views: 118
  • Message 4 of 72

2016-07-07, 16:44 PM
That's great! I too in the same boat. Does windows 7 has USB MTP driver already inbox?

I have installed Motorola device manager latest edition on my PC-laptop (lenovo model Thinkpad W530). When I connect my phone with USB cable nothing happens! Phone remain not recognized. Looking for MTP USB driver for last few days from a reliable source. Please help, if MTP driver is needed. Don't understand why a selection needs to be done from phone side. If MTP driver or old driver exist in the PC it should auto detect the phone. Anyways, looking forward for a solution.
Options

12 Posts

07-07-2016

IN

9 Signins

118 Page Views

• Message 5 of 72

2016-07-07, 16:52 PM

Seems like the MTP driver is included in Motorola Device Manager. That is great! This information should be provided in the paper pack in the box. It might be there already, just in case if it is not. 

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Message 6 of 72

2016-07-07, 17:07 PM

wrote:
That's great! I too in the same boat. Does windows 7 has USB MTP driver already inbox?

I have installed Motorola device manager latest edition on my PC-laptop (lenovo model Thinkpad W530). When I connect my phone with USB cable nothing happens! Phone remain not recognized. Looking for MTP USB driver for last few days from a reliable source. Please help, if MTP driver is needed. Don't understand why a selection needs to be done from phone side. If MTP driver or old driver exist in the PC it should auto detect the phone. Anyways, looking forward for a solution.

Motorola device manager is old and not needed for any Moto android phones made in the last 3-4 years. The drivers for android are shipped with windows in most regions, but some regions the version of Windows needs the Media pack to get Android drivers - if the computer is not recognizing the phone in Device Manager, then you either have an incorrect cable (charge only) or you need the proper windows drivers from Microsoft.

As for pulling down notification bar on phone - Google added this to android as a security feature. The default is charge only. Without this feature, you could plug your phone into a free charging station somewhere, and someone could steal your data or inject malware. 

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
Options

12 Posts

07-07-2016

IN

9 Signins

118 Page Views

• Message 7 of 72

2016-07-07, 18:06 PM

That's a great explanation. My phone computer recognizes. I get a Windows pop-up but when I click that pop-up to open device it opens nothing. Possibly selecting MTP from notification area would help. Does not Android phone has some thing like iTunes? How could I copy some files from my computer to the phone using USB data cable? 

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Message 8 of 72

2016-07-07, 18:14 PM

wrote:

That's a great explanation. My phone computer recognizes. I get a Windows pop-up but when I click that pop-up to open device it opens nothing. Possibly selecting MTP from notification area would help. Does not Android phone has some thing like iTunes? How could I copy some files from my computer to the phone using USB data cable? 

Windows has file manager/explorer - iTunes is really for music and video management... If you want something like that, make sure you get MTP mode working so that windows explorer can see your phone and you can transfer files, then look at 3rd party apps for windows like Media Monkey. 

I am not sure why you would want itunes on Android, but there is Google play music, i don't like it, But there are others like Rocket Player. 

In android, the phone looks like a mass storage device - get that part working first, or no apps will be able to transfer files. 

Options

2 Posts

07-07-2016

US

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 9 of 72

Re: Moto G3 Unable to connect with USB

2016-07-07, 22:09 PM

I have an unlocked Moto G (3rd Generation).  I've looked at the online help in the phone and the guide on the Web site, and I saw an answer to this question for the G4 in the Forum.  All of them say approximately the same thing, but my phone doesn't show any charging/MTP notification when I connect the USB cable, and when I go into Settings>More>Tethering the USB Tethering is greyed out with the button switched to off.  The phone charges, and when I tap the battery, I get a lot of information about the battery, but nothing about switching to MTP.  Pulling down the status/notification bar, there's Wifi, Airplane, Bluetooth, and all that, but nothing for USB connection.  I once, several days ago, found a place where I could select transfer files, transfer photos, and some other choices, but I can't find that again.  Any help will be greatly appreciated because transferring photos and video to my computer through Bluetooth takes, like, forever.

Thanks,

Harry

Options

28303 Posts

02-02-2016

US

5840 Signins

132760 Page Views

• Message 10 of 72

Re: Moto G3 Unable to connect with USB

2016-07-08, 0:18 AM

wrote:

I have an unlocked Moto G (3rd Generation).  I've looked at the online help in the phone and the guide on the Web site, and I saw an answer to this question for the G4 in the Forum.  All of them say approximately the same thing, but my phone doesn't show any charging/MTP notification when I connect the USB cable, and when I go into Settings>More>Tethering the USB Tethering is greyed out with the button switched to off.  The phone charges, and when I tap the battery, I get a lot of information about the battery, but nothing about switching to MTP.  Pulling down the status/notification bar, there's Wifi, Airplane, Bluetooth, and all that, but nothing for USB connection.  I once, several days ago, found a place where I could select transfer files, transfer photos, and some other choices, but I can't find that again.  Any help will be greatly appreciated because transferring photos and video to my computer through Bluetooth takes, like, forever.

Thanks,

Harry

Sounds like you have a charge only cable or loose connection or bad USB port. 

Does the pc see the phone at all? If not try a different cable and or different PC. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete