Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nigelowen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,847
Message 1 of 130

Moto G4 - camera error please restart camera

I see that this problem has been reported before but I'm at my wits end and can't find a solution.

I recently upgraded my phone from a 1st generation Moto to a Moto G4.  All works well apart from the camera when almost every day I get the error message "camera error please restart camera" I power off/on the phone and all works fine for a few hours or perhaps a day and then the mesage reappears.  Very annoyng as you want to take photo/video of the 'instant' and after rebooting the shot can be lost.

I took the phone back to the store where I purchased the Moto G4 after a couple of weeks and they replaced it with a completely new phone but this error happens with the new phone too!

Any suggestions or help?  Or should I just return the phone for a refund and buy a Samsung!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,556
Message 2 of 130

Re: Moto G4 - camera error please restart camera

@nigelowen wrote:

I see that this problem has been reported before but I'm at my wits end and can't find a solution.

I recently upgraded my phone from a 1st generation Moto to a Moto G4.  All works well apart from the camera when almost every day I get the error message "camera error please restart camera" I power off/on the phone and all works fine for a few hours or perhaps a day and then the mesage reappears.  Very annoyng as you want to take photo/video of the 'instant' and after rebooting the shot can be lost.

I took the phone back to the store where I purchased the Moto G4 after a couple of weeks and they replaced it with a completely new phone but this error happens with the new phone too!

Any suggestions or help?  Or should I just return the phone for a refund and buy a Samsung!

Hi nigelowen,

Are you using the stock camera app on your device? Please update your profile with the serial/IMEI/MEID number of your phone. Is it okay if we look into your apps? This will help us investigate. Make sure that your Motorola Privacy is enabled.

Update your profile here

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

nigelowen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,548
Message 3 of 130

Hi Anne:

Yes, I'm using the stock camera app on my device Camera tuner for Moto g (4) - v 3.7

I have added my phone details to my profile.

Nigel.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,519
Message 4 of 130

@nigelowen wrote:
Hi Anne:

Yes, I'm using the stock camera app on my device Camera tuner for Moto g (4) - v 3.7

I have added my phone details to my profile.

Nigel.

Hi nigelowen,

Thanks for updating your profile. Have you tried to perform a clear cache partition on your phone? You can also test if it happens in Safe mode.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

nigelowen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,513
Message 5 of 130

Hi Ann:

I have cleared the cache and will let you know what happens in safe mode.

Nigel.

nigelowen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,508
Message 6 of 130

The error still occurs when in Safe Mode.

Nigel.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,485
Message 7 of 130

@nigelowen wrote:

The error still occurs when in Safe Mode.

Nigel.

Hi nigelowen,

Let`s try to clear the data and see if it will work. Go to settings > Apps > Camera > Clear data. Let me know.

Regards,
Anne
Motorola Support

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 17,472
Message 8 of 130

I am having the same problem. Have cleared cache and data, and tried in safe mode. Sometimes the camera works but usually I get the error message.
Royt1
Paper Tape
Views: 17,457
Message 9 of 130

I'm having the same problem. I've cleared cache and data. It seems to work ok when i set the save location to phone, but get the error when it's set to memory. Could this be part of the problem?

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 17,449
Message 10 of 130

Hi Mings and Royt1,

Are you using the stock camera app as well? Let me know.

-Anne

Top Kudoed Authors