Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 3,446
Message 21 of 130

Re: Moto G4 - camera error please restart camera

@Royt1 wrote:

I'm having the same problem. I've cleared cache and data. It seems to work ok when i set the save location to phone, but get the error when it's set to memory. Could this be part of the problem?

Can everyone test this part to see if the issue is related to a bad SD card? If you are getting the error and saving to SD card, please try saving to the phone or test another card.

- Matt

Motorola Admin Motorola Admin
Motorola Admin
Views: 3,445
Message 22 of 130

@nigelowen wrote:

Anne:  do you have an update please.  I only have a couple of days left before the shop 'no quibble' return policy expires should I need *another* replacement phone.

Nigel.

I don't want you to miss out. If you are not using an SD card, go ahead and have it replaced.

However, would you -- and the others here -- mind taking a bug report on this? Please take it right after the camera error occurs. Below are the steps to generate the report -- all of it is done on your phone.

1. Go to Settings -> About Phone -> Tap on Build number 7 times on the build number to go into the developer options mode]
2. After the above steps Developer options will be enabled.
3. Go to Settings ->Developer options -> Enable Usb debugging > Toggle On
4. Enable Settings -> Developer options -> Enable Bug Report shortcut > Toggle On
5. Once the issue is reproduced, Go to Settings -> Developer options -> Click on take bug report or Press Power button and then choose Bug Report from the Power down menu.
6. Wait for some time until the bug report is collected. It takes around 3 to 4 minutes to collect the Bug Report.
7. Then upload the BugReport to your personal Google Drive and then share the link to the BugReport on the forums in a reply or via a private message.
8. Provide observations of what you saw happen right before the bug report was taken. Please indicate the time that you observed the behavior in local time.

Thanks,

- Matt

nigelowen
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,437
Message 23 of 130

Matt - too late for me to help.  My very helpful tesco's has replaced my G4 with G5.  Let's hope I don't have the same problem.

Nigel.

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,435
Message 24 of 130

I have taken a bug report but have not worked out how to send it to you.

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,431
Message 25 of 130

I think I have now worked out how to send the link to the bug report (see below)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-SJsLwvTqwLRlljSThCYXBGLVU/view?usp=sharing

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,407
Message 26 of 130

Matt - do you need any more bug reports? I forgot to give you a description of what happened immediately before I took the last one. This is what happened: I took a photo, then the error message came up. When I checked the SD card, the photo was there, but I cannot see the photo by swiping left.  It was approx 16.10 on 31 March.   When I try to power off the phone now, I get the message "take bug report" as an alternative to powering off. How do I stop this happening?

bw99
Paper Tape
Views: 3,384
Message 27 of 130

Folks, very excited to be able to contribute to this. I have had the "Camera error - please restart camera" behaviour almost since I started using the phone 2 months ago. Camera worked very briefly then stopped working. The fix I read on Android Central where someone said this:

"I saw on the Moto forum that a possible fix for rear camera problems is to squeeze the phone around the camera to reseat the connector. Seems like a simple fix, too good to be true. Well, I just tried it, pressing around the camera and on the camera lens itself. I pressed firmly, but not crazy hard."

I tried pressing around the camera and on the camera and HEY PRESTO! It works just fine again!!!!!!!!

I had tried everything - partition wipes, uninstalls, safe mode etc etc

Finally it's fixed and front and back cameras are both working.

I pressed quite hard on the camera and around it. Maybe work up to pressing hard in case you damage the screen, or maybe put the camera face down on a bed to spread the pressure on the screen while you push? 

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,371
Message 28 of 130

Is this an April Fool's joke?

bw99
Paper Tape
Views: 3,367
Message 29 of 130

Absolutely not. 

Even better is to take the plastic backing off the phone first. Then you can see that the camera unit is a small rectangular piece of metal that sits in the housing. Easy to apply pressure to the edges of it to get it to seat properly.

Of course, this presumably won't solve everyone's problems, but it solved mine immediately.

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,362
Message 30 of 130

Sorry to doubt you, but we have now taken the back and carefully examined it prior to pressing all round as suggested. Unfortunately, this did not cure the problem.  I hope that Matt will come up with a solution soon.

Top Kudoed Authors