Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BigBadWulf
SCSI Port
Views: 2,468
Message 31 of 130

Re: Moto G4 - camera error please restart camera

I'm having the exact same problem with 2 Z Force. It typically only happens when leaving the camera open for a while. I presume the camera and tuner apps are the same as the G. Both phones in my house are storing to the SD card. I suppose it's possible they're both bad, but how likely. If I don't store to the SD card, the error isn't duplicated. Pretty much eliminates it being a hardware issue with the camera. To me it's pointing towards a write issue from the camera app to the card. What I haven't thought of trying till just now, is changing the storage setting when it happens, so I can continue without rebooting. 

I'll switch on debugging, so I can send a report the next instance. 

Mings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,436
Message 32 of 130

I have been doing some experiments with SD cards today. I have tried 2 different SD cards (one 8GB SanDisc and one 4GB Kingston) both of which are Class 10, and they both react in the same way. I have been using the card formatted as portable storage because I assumed that was correct. This morning I decided to try formatting it as internal storage and this is what happened: it went up to 60% fairly quickly, but then AFTER 4 MINUTES I received this message "This SD card appears to be slow. You can continue, but apps moved to this location may stutter and data transfers may take a long time. Consider using a faster SD card for better performance." I clicked on OK and took a photo. I then got the message "Your SD card is running out of space. Delete some images or other files." (At this point there were no photos stored on the card, so far as I could see, and it showed 254MB used of 3.69GB.) I then re-formatted the card as portable storage, which was almost instantaneous. The camera app was then working as it should all morning, but then this afternoon I started getting the error message again. At this point I could see on the SD card the photos which I had taken but could not see them on the camera app or in Google Photos. I had to force stop the camera app, reboot/restart the phone etc 4 consecutive times before I could get it to work properly again. Once it was working, I could see all the photos in the camera app and in Google Photos. I then put the phone on charge so that the photos were backed up. When it is working, I have some very good photos, but I wish it was not so unreliable. Please find a solution soon! If Motorola can't produce a camera app which works all the time, perhaps they could recommend another app which will do what it is supposed to do.

Royt1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,416
Message 33 of 130

I've been watching these posts of various people testing hardware and software. I am convinced this is a software problem with the Moto stock camera app. This occured after i upgraded the operating system. The app seems not to be able to communicate properly with the SD card but will save to the phone memory. I have been using the same SD card with this and a previous phone and have never had a problem until i upgraded. I agree with the last post that Motorola should either put it's efforts into solving this issue with the current app or point it's users to another app without this problem. The camera was the main reason why i chose this phone and now i cant use it. 

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,387
Message 34 of 130

Hi All,

We shared this to the team as we are aware of this concern. I will keep you posted if I hear from them. Thanks

-Anne

BigBadWulf
SCSI Port
Views: 2,384
Message 35 of 130

Thank you Anne! I have a bug report from this morning, but need the magic trick to send a PM, if you need it.
Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 2,383
Message 36 of 130

@BigBadWulf wrote:
Thank you Anne! I have a bug report from this morning, but need the magic trick to send a PM, if you need it.

Hi BigBadWulf.

Sure. Take note to capture the Bugreport right after the issue happened. Thanks

-Anne

BigBadWulf
SCSI Port
Views: 2,381
Message 37 of 130

I repeat, I have a bug report taken this morning. Right after the issue Smiley Wink
Royt1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,338
Message 38 of 130

I have just found out that both my phone Moto G4 plus and my wife's phone Moto G3 are experiencing the same camera error message . We both upgraded our operating system to Android 7.0 and 6.0.1 respectively within days. My wife said she's been having the camera error ever since, all be it intermittently, whereas mine is constantly. I am convinced this is a problem between the latest android updates and the stock camera app. 

OsabaMark
Paper Tape
Views: 2,330
Message 39 of 130

Mine went back to the shop for the third time. I'm convinced that complaining here is pointless as they don't have a solution and they've got  your money already so there's no real incentive to fix it. It's just bad luck, my wife's one camera doesn't work, or it  works  when it feels like it, which after paying €229 is simply not good enough.

Three repairs = almost two months without a phone bought in June last year. 

At least when I was with a Google Nexus, when it broke down twice they sent a new phone to replace the defective one within days. 

Motorola \ Lenovo need to get their act together!!! 

Royt1
Paper Tape
Views: 2,271
Message 40 of 130

Unfortunately I am beginning to believe what you're saying about Lenovo/Moto. Although this thread has been open for several weeks there appears to still be no solution, just requests to check the problem. I'm surprised that a company with such clought can just let its customers hang on. To me it is clearly their issue caused by the hardware not talking correctly to the software. I will give it another few days to see if they come up with a solution and the go back to the retailer. 

Top Kudoed Authors