Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 1 of 11

Moto G4 freeze/lag downloading jpgs on Messenger

Hi, y'all, Just joined this community, good t' be here, blahblahblah...😄. Seems I'm having a similar - if not the same - problem with (text) messenger v1.9.036 on my only weeks old moto g4 (6.0.1) should someone try to text me a jpg, it either freezes or lags, for hours, before my next messages are delivered (i.e., "Sending..."). A force quit seems to unfreeze things but that certainly isn't a satisfactory solution. BTW, I think I saw a post - dating back to the G1 - so I fear that the problem's gone unresolved for quite some time. I also suspect the culprit is in the app, itself, as I experienced the same problem (amongst others, too many to mention) on my last phone, an LG Volt 4.4.2; but I wouldn't know. Comments? Thx!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 693
Message 2 of 11

Re: Moto G4 freeze/lag downloading jpgs on Messenger

@ericsluyter wrote:

Hi, y'all, Just joined this community, good t' be here, blahblahblah...😄. Seems I'm having a similar - if not the same - problem with (text) messenger v1.9.036 on my only weeks old moto g4 (6.0.1) should someone try to text me a jpg, it either freezes or lags, for hours, before my next messages are delivered (i.e., "Sending..."). A force quit seems to unfreeze things but that certainly isn't a satisfactory solution. BTW, I think I saw a post - dating back to the G1 - so I fear that the problem's gone unresolved for quite some time. I also suspect the culprit is in the app, itself, as I experienced the same problem (amongst others, too many to mention) on my last phone, an LG Volt 4.4.2; but I wouldn't know. Comments? Thx!

Hi Ericsluyter,

I just heard about this case just now. Where did you see that post? Did you receive those JPGs as MMS? If it is, try to use the default messaging app on the phone and see if you will be able to download the file.

Jess
Motorola Support

ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 681
Message 3 of 11

Hiya, Jess,

Thanks for your timely response.

I would have to search this Moto G forum to find and review the post re. a similar or same problem on a G1, but I'm fairly certain I read it here.

The messages to which I'm referring were sent as MMSes (as far as I know, with my limited knowledge) from iPhones and opened in what I assume to be the default messenger (by Google, Inc...though I find that assumption slightly dubious as the G4 manual refers to its messaging app as "messaging", not "Messenger".

Perhaps you can name the "default" app (identifying version and/or build numbers might help to avoid confusion) so we can be certain we're talking about the same "default app" before going any further.

(Please note: the only messaging apps on my phone are Google's and facebook's. In the absence of any others, I'm assuming Google's is the default)

Thx!

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 677
Message 4 of 11

@ericsluyter wrote:

Hiya, Jess,

Thanks for your timely response.

I would have to search this Moto G forum to find and review the post re. a similar or same problem on a G1, but I'm fairly certain I read it here.

The messages to which I'm referring were sent as MMSes (as far as I know, with my limited knowledge) from iPhones and opened in what I assume to be the default messenger (by Google, Inc...though I find that assumption slightly dubious as the G4 manual refers to its messaging app as "messaging", not "Messenger".

Perhaps you can name the "default" app (identifying version and/or build numbers might help to avoid confusion) so we can be certain we're talking about the same "default app" before going any further.

(Please note: the only messaging apps on my phone are Google's and facebook's. In the absence of any others, I'm assuming Google's is the default)

Thx!

Hi ericsluyter,

Thanks for reaching back. I guess you are using the Blue messaging app which is the default messaging app. I could suggest to go to Settings>Apps>Messenger App that you are using> Open by Default>Clear Defaults. If this issue persists, try to clear the cache of this app: Settings>Apps>Messenger> Storage>Clear Cache. Just let us if this didn't work.

Jess
Motorola Support

ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 672
Message 5 of 11

Jess, I'm afraid clearing the default didn't resolve the problem. And when I went to clear the cache, the only two buttons showing were labeled "clear data" and "change" (the latter which I'd seen before and thought was rather odd, but no "clear cache"). Cache shows 800kb used and hitting the "change" button resulted in absolutely nothing happening (i.e., the button didn't even animate). Hmmm🤔

ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 667
Message 6 of 11

Update: after my last hang - and without force quitting - it took ten and nineteen minutes, respectively, for my two send-to-self test messages to reach me

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 651
Message 7 of 11

@ericsluyter wrote:

Update: after my last hang - and without force quitting - it took ten and nineteen minutes, respectively, for my two send-to-self test messages to reach me

Hi ericsluyter,

That's so weird though. Have you tried to clear the default? We are just trying to do some troubleshooting and see if that works. Try to go to Settings> More> Cellular Networks> Access Point Name> Tap 3 dot option at the top> Tap Reset to default. This will allow your network to get back to its default settings. Let me know what happened.

Jess
Motorola Support

ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 634
Message 8 of 11

Jess,

I followed your "reset" instructions with - unhappily - still no change

Thanks for your persistence

ericsluyter
Fanfold Paper
Views: 602
Message 9 of 11

I've yet to receive any further suggestions since my last post and am wondering whether I've no other options to remedy this problem. A confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 592
Message 10 of 11

@ericsluyter wrote:

I've yet to receive any further suggestions since my last post and am wondering whether I've no other options to remedy this problem. A confirmation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi ericsluyter,

Thanks for follow up. If it happens that reset to default option didn't work, I would suggest doing clear cache partition. This will not delete all of your data, this will just clear all of your caches on the phone that makes your phone to be laggy/freeze. Let me know if that works.

Regards,

Jess

Motorola Support

Top Kudoed Authors