cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BetaDog17
Token Ring
Views: 27,658
Message 1 of 16

Moto G4 with Verizon (Advanced Calling or VoLTE)

I just bought the Moto G4 phone.  I noticed in the settings there is no menu that indicates "Advanced Calling" or VoLTE.

I know that with Verizon branded phones they have this listed as an option. In fact, saw it the other day on the MOTO Z phone is their retail store.  Why is this not listed as a feature on the unlocked MOTO G4 phones? Why is this not part of the embedded software? They are unlocked but what good does that do if you stay with Verizon?  Anyone else notice this?  Any thoughts or comments regarding not having this feature?

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 27,486
Message 2 of 16

Re: Moto G4 with Verizon (Advanced Calling or VoLTE)

You have to access your account online and add the Advanced Calling features to your account.  Did you do that?

After that it will take about 15 minutes for everything to take effect.  That's the way it worked with my Moto X Pure, another carrier agnostic device.

BetaDog17
Token Ring
Views: 27,437
Message 3 of 16

Thanks for that info. You are correct there is a feature on Verizon account that can be turned on. But this will only work if the phone has the ability built in.  Correct me if I am wrong but the specs on the Moto G4 (and maybe G4+) don't list this. I don't see anything that indicates Advanced Calling, wifi calling, VoLte. This would explain why I am not seeing it listed in any of the menus on the phone. Without these features built in. you can't get it to work even if you were to turn it on in the Verizon Account.  To accomadate the other 3 major carriers - I guess-  they didn't include this when they manufactured the phone  b/c this is a Verizon specific feature???? 

If someone has a verizon acct and has this phone( G4 or G4+) could you confirm what I am seeing? 

I'd like to keep this phone but will return it due to these missing features. No point in having Verizon because you can't talk and surf on mobile data.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 27,433
Message 4 of 16

I don't know which list of specs you might be using, but I added the Advanced Calling (HD calling) feature to the account for the G4, and just did a test. I was on a phone call, and was easiliy able to surf the web, check gmail, etc. while the called stayed in progress.

By the way, the capability is not restricted to the specifications of the phone. Verizon also chooses which devices it will enable for specific features. For example, my Nexus 6 is perfectly capable of video calling.. Verizon has not enabled video calling for my device, though I do have HD Calling -aka Advanced Calling. (I"ve been through this issue a few times with VZW reps). It was only last year that they added wifi calling as a feature (they've resisted it longer than other carriers), and it only applied to a couple of Samsung phones. Currently my Nexus is connected on Band 13.

Motorola's list of supported bands for the G4 and G4 Plus (as reported on Droid Life):

Moto G (XT1625)
CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 25, 26, 41)

Moto G4 Plus (XT1644)
CDMA (850, 1900 MHz)
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
UMTS / HSPA+ (850, 900, 1700, 1900, 2100 MHz)
4G LTE (B1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 25, 26, 41)

BetaDog17
Token Ring
Views: 27,425
Message 5 of 16

Thank you for your reply.  I have the G4 model you listed below, XT 1625.  I just want to make sure you didn't have wifi turned on when you did the test.  And do you have in the settings of the phone a physical description that read "Advanced Calling" ? Because I don't.

I went down to a Verizon store today and the reps looked at my account and turned on the Advanced Calling on my profile.  We popped in my old sim card from my current verizon phone and nothing. Couldn't simultaneouly talk and surf. It disconnected the LTE data when a call came in.  And when you would dial out, couldn't turn on LTE and surf.

If you can do this like you mentioned I am wondering if it's something more on Verizon's side.  What size sim card do you have in the phone?  Mine is an older micro sim card. Reps said it wouldn't make any difference.   Any suggestions on what else I can do?  I would like to get it to work like you did.  Thanks.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 27,421
Message 6 of 16

@BetaDog17 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  I have the G4 model you listed below, XT 1625.  I just want to make sure you didn't have wifi turned on when you did the test.  And do you have in the settings of the phone a physical description that read "Advanced Calling" ? Because I don't.

I went down to a Verizon store today and the reps looked at my account and turned on the Advanced Calling on my profile.  We popped in my old sim card from my current verizon phone and nothing. Couldn't simultaneouly talk and surf. It disconnected the LTE data when a call came in.  And when you would dial out, couldn't turn on LTE and surf.

If you can do this like you mentioned I am wondering if it's something more on Verizon's side.  What size sim card do you have in the phone?  Mine is an older micro sim card. Reps said it wouldn't make any difference.   Any suggestions on what else I can do?  I would like to get it to work like you did.  Thanks.

The Verizon rep is incorrect.  Newer SIM cards are requird to support the advanced technology on today's phones.

If you're not working with an actual Verizon corporate store, I suggest you do so.  Communication about this phone to Verizon's third party vendor stores has been spotty at best.  I also suggest that the new SIM card should be a micro SIM, not a nano SIM.  

Since others have activated their G4 devices on Verizon with the Advanced Calling features enabled, the Verizon rep you worked with has clearly failed to properly activate the phone.

By the way, Verizon will give you a new SIM at no charge whatsoever.  Vendor stores charge $5.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 27,414
Message 7 of 16

It is certainly reasonable to ask if I had the WiFi turned off and, in fact, I did turn it off on both phones to be sure the test was a valid one. I just went through it again to be sure. During an ongoing call, with both phones indicating they were on LTE, I was able to google something, check gmail, then switch to YELP and read restaurant reviews. The call stayed connected until I manually disconnected. 

No, there isn't a feature in the phone's settings labeled "Advanced Calling," although that is confusing as some devices DO have that in the menu of settings. On the G4, Settings>More>Cellular Networks, you wil find "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode." On the Nexus 6, it is Settings>More>Mobile Networks where I see the same "Enhanced 4G LTE Mode."

As for the SIM, I pulled the nano sim out of my Moto X2 and used the micro sim adapter in the G4 to insert the nano sim. I really have no idea whether the type and/or age of the sim card could have such an effect on this particular functionality. Perhaps someone else would have the knowledge to answer that question. I do know that for HD calling to work, BOTH callers must have HD calling capable phones and have the feature enabled.

In your post, you said that when you dialed out, you couldn't "turn on LTE." I'm not sure what you mean since you are calling using LTE (specifically Voice over LTE... VoLTE). So it should already be in that 'mode' when you make a call. Both of the phones I tested continued to display "LTE" during the call and while I was accessing the Internet. I know this information may not be especially helpful, but at least you know the G4 can behave the way you want it to... when Verizon gets its act together, of course. 

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 27,416
Message 8 of 16

Thanks @crystallet for answering the question about whether the age of the sim was relevant. It makes sense that new sims would have different capabilities. I did just fine with the nano sim, but it is definitely easier to insert a micro properly.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 27,408
Message 9 of 16

The SIM in my 2014 X was the SIM that was in my 2013 X.  For ease of getting my 2015 X up and running easily, I went to a Verizon store and got a new SIM for the 2014 X the day before my Pure was to arrive.  When it got to me, I just popped the SIM from one phone to the other (after Verizon finally got around to adding the IMEIs to their database).  At the time, I had a feeling that features like Advanced Calling would require a new SIM, and we'll never know if that's one of the reasons the 2014 X kept getting on the upgrade list and off again, on again and off again (just a "conspiracy theory").

But then, the other day, chatting with other members of the "brain trust," someone up the food chain mentioned something about new SIMs being required, which, in this case, isn't a big deal, because the phones are shipping with SIMs.  Anecdotal information in the forum is saying that the micros are more successful than the nanos.

RevLauren
Bit Torrent
Views: 27,405
Message 10 of 16

My G4 did ship with a sim, but, sadly, I was not able to use it. Thanks to the incomplete database at good old Verizon, the ICCID kept coming up as incompatible with the device itself. That was absurd, of course, but the rep really didn't know what to do about it, and said the IMEI was coming up in her system as a Droid. Hmmm. Taking the sim out of the X2 did the trick, thank heavens.

And We're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Top Kudoed Authors