Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billbled
Punch Card
Views: 5,660
Message 1 of 25

Moto G4 won't start at all.

Hi,

Moto G4 (XT1625) won't start at all. I can plug in to a charger and get occasional white LED flashes down near the microphone. 

Any suggestions on key sequences or anything else to see if this thing will even crank up? It had been doing the random shutdown bit but always had managed to come back to life, albeit slowly. Now it won't even do that. 

I'd rather not go phone shopping right now - so any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Bill

JulesDeLaT
Paper Tape
Views: 5,589
Message 2 of 25

Re: Moto G4 won't start at all.

Hi, I encounteres a very similar problem, but it was right after the new update that I recieved today, was yours under the same circumstance? I hope this gets solved

billbled
Punch Card
Views: 5,569
Message 3 of 25

I can't remember the exact moment the problem started, but it was recent and I've kept up with all of my OS updates. 

Former Employee
Views: 5,556
Message 4 of 25

@billbledwrote:

I can't remember the exact moment the problem started, but it was recent and I've kept up with all of my OS updates. 

Hi, All.

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues that you have been facing, please try booting your Moto G4 into the Recovery Mode:

• With the Moto G4 powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
  • Press the Volume Down button to highlight “Recovery mode”
  • Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
  • You’ll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
  • Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
  • Use the volume buttons to scroll to “wipe cache partition” and press the Power button to select it.
  • “Reboot system now” will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

If this did not help, then service/repair would be next step.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

If you need a reference in updating your profile, please click this link. https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Complete-your-forums-profile/td-p/3339943
billbled
Punch Card
Views: 5,545
Message 5 of 25

I don't know what you all would do if you actually had to think, research and write intelligent email responses. I bet you all are glad you have that library of scripted responses you keep peddling out! It's a shame none of them actually work. 

Time for a new phone. 

It won't be a Motorola. 

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 5,544
Message 6 of 25

@billbledwrote:

I don't know what you all would do if you actually had to think, research and write intelligent email responses. I bet you all are glad you have that library of scripted responses you keep peddling out! It's a shame none of them actually work. 

Time for a new phone. 

It won't be a Motorola. 

Your sarcasm and insults are not appreciated and violate forum rules.  

In fact, the things we recommend quite often work, sometimes to troubleshoot, sometimes to fix:

-you'd be surprised how many problems are actually fixed simply by rebooting the phone

-cache clearing hurts nothing and often fixes issues

-safe mode provides an excellent indicator of the direction to take, that is, hardware or software

-factory data reset can fix a lot of problems, but only if auto-restore is turned off to eliminate the risk of automatically reinstalling the problem, whether it's an app or a setting

There are a couple of reasons to script reponses: first, it ensures consistency in the answers given to customers; next, it helps to ensure accuracy in the responses.

If a phone isn't operating properly after doing the things that can be done remotely, then, in all likelihood, the phone needs to be physically repaired/replaced, or the customer has modded the phone in some way, in which case, the warranty is quite likely void.

billbled
Punch Card
Views: 5,541
Message 7 of 25

It never was a question of warranty. Just a question of the phone that I've had the MOST problems out of in my life, and I've owned cell phones for over 20 years. This G4 has been pathetic. Ghost touching, power on/off problems, battery quality issues, incompatibility, non-upgradeablity...JUNK.

What I said is justified and true. I've seen nothing but dismal support in this forum for the users from your company. 

Done with Motorola/Lenovo. 

Good-bye and good riddance. 

Ns1004
What's DOS?
Views: 4,548
Message 8 of 25

I agree with each and every word of yours. This phone is a piece of crap. The problem really is that, phones do worsen over a time period, however this useless crap started to go off after 6 months of usage. Ever since then, it has one problem or the other. I literally charge it 3-4 times in a day to have just my normal work done. And today it won't start at all. And whatever you try, you get such response on the forum which has no specific response and concern for customer's problems. Motorola should be accountable for each and every device that customer own. It feels like that it's our own fault if phone has gone off just after 6 months.

billbled
Punch Card
Views: 4,538
Message 9 of 25

For what it's worth, I bought a Huawei Mate SE this past summer. It has been SUCH a better phone that the G4 ever was. No ghost touching problems, no "I can't power my phone on", no nothing. NONE of the problems that I continually had with the G4. 

I dropped it a few months after I had it and cracked the screen. Completely my fault - it was a dead fall to a concrete floor in my shop from about 4.5 feet high. It hit perfectly flat on the screen side - the case couldn't protect it. I went thru the process to return it to the factory for screen replacement, but they had a problem on their website and couldn't get the order to complete. Finally, one of their managers contacted me, sidestepped the website and set up everything to get it returned to them for the screen replacement. He just handled it and made it happen. AND, since I had the problem on the website, they fixed the phone for FREE. 

TAKE NOTE MOTOROLA: THIS IS HOW CUSTOMER SERVICE IS DONE. 

They were very communicative, even while I was agitated about the website issue, and they stepped up to the plate and solved the problem. I was perfectly willing to pay the $85 to get the screen repaired, but they offered it for free as a customer service gesture due to the problems on their website. 

Plus, bottom line, the phone has worked great.
NONE of the problems I had with the G4. I had, briefly, considered a G6 before I bought the Huawei. Then I remembered the dismal support of the Moto reps here in this forum, the scripted answers to tech questions and them blaming the user for the phone's shortcomings and I just couldn't go back to a Motorola product.

Just. Could. Not. 

Good bye Motorola. 

We're DONE. 

Adi2109
What's DOS?
Views: 4,001
Message 10 of 25

@Agent_Swaraj wrote:

@billbledwrote:

Hi, All.

Sorry to hear about the ongoing issues that you have been facing, please try booting your Moto G4 into the Recovery Mode:

• With the Moto G4 powered off, press and hold the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the device turns on.
  • Press the Volume Down button to highlight “Recovery mode”
  • Press the Power button to restart into Recovery mode.
  • You’ll see an image of an Android robot with a red exclamation mark.
  • Holding the Power button, tap Volume Up once and then release the Power button.
  • Use the volume buttons to scroll to “wipe cache partition” and press the Power button to select it.
  • “Reboot system now” will be highlighted, press the Power button to select it.

If this did not help, then service/repair would be next step.

Thanks,

-Swaraj

My phone won’t go into recovery mode and whenever I plug in the moto g4 plus it tells me the phone is 100% percent charged

Top Kudoed Authors