Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KuroiKitsune22
Paper Tape
Views: 3,708
Message 31 of 280

Re: Moto g4 with no sound

I have the same trouble, it started around 6 hours ago.

Senior MotoAgent
Senior MotoAgent
Views: 3,690
Message 32 of 280

Hi Eveyone,

If this happens after the update, I would suggest doing clear cache partition and see if that would work.

Regards,
Jess
Motorola Support

Sauce
Paper Tape
Views: 3,685
Message 33 of 280

Hey, Jess.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work. After clearing the cache partition, after factory resetting the phone, after attempting both with and without an SD card, the issue persists.

There is something wrong with the device and/or its interaction with recent OS updates that's crippling the audio for the device. If it hasn't already happened, I'd strongly recommend that whichever department or group is pushing the updates out stops that ASAP to slow down the number of devices hitting this issue.

I'm curious if this is limited to Amazon MotoG4s (there's a specific branch of the OS for AMZN) or if it's more widespread.

Once the issue hits the device, speaker/earpiece and headphone/aux inputs do not work. There is no audio when making phone calls and phone calls take a very long time to connect. Attempts to play music, both on-device and streaming fail with non-helpful error messages (e.g. failed to stream song"). Attempts to play video (e.g. on Youtube) also fail (in this case, resulting in a non-specific, non-repeating error code).

Bluetooth makes the phone temporarily usuable as both a communication device and a media device, but it requires that bluetooth be connected and both devices powered at all times.

KuroiKitsune22
Paper Tape
Views: 3,676
Message 34 of 280

I'ts not Amazon only, mine was bought directly at a service provider with no links to Amazon so...
Sauce
Paper Tape
Views: 3,671
Message 35 of 280

That's good to note, KuroiKitsune22. It reduces the likelihood that this is an OS-variant issue and instead more to do with the general hardware and OS.
TippiLongstckng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,586
Message 36 of 280

Same thing here as with everyone else. Currently running Android v 7.0.  On my phone, there is sound when my alarms go off, when the phone rings, when I receive a text, & during the start-up splash screen, but otherwise, my phone is mute - can't hear music, YouTube, or ringtones in an app. I can't even use the phone normally, I have to have it on speakerphone all the time (if I want to hear, anyway). Everything seems to be fine when I plug in headphones (I have no bluetooth anything with which to pair this). Whatever the problem is, it's got to be in the software somewhere. Why does it work just fine for most of the factory installed apps, but nothing else?! I've rebooted, cleared cache, can't GET into safe mode (there is no reboot option in my shutdown options; my only choice is power off), and reset to factory settings. No change.

Also, it would have been helpful if the Lenovo page that told me how to reset the phone would have ALSO told me to remove my SD card first, because that was erased before I could remove it. Lost all my un-backed-up music.

Further, CM Backup is the named app in the "how to factory reinstall." This app backed up exactly 0 of my files to their cloud.

Anyway, I've seen the comments back to others, so my serial/IMEI are on my profile, and Motorolla Privacy is enabled. I give you permission to browse my phone.

TippiLongstckng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,585
Message 37 of 280

Nope. Got mine at Walmart.

I'm curious if this is limited to Amazon MotoG4s (there's a specific branch of the OS for AMZN) or if it's more widespread.

Moto Sr Moderator
Moto Sr Moderator
Views: 3,582
Message 38 of 280

@TippiLongstckng wrote:

Same thing here as with everyone else. Currently running Android v 7.0.  On my phone, there is sound when my alarms go off, when the phone rings, when I receive a text, & during the start-up splash screen, but otherwise, my phone is mute - can't hear music, YouTube, or ringtones in an app. I can't even use the phone normally, I have to have it on speakerphone all the time (if I want to hear, anyway). Everything seems to be fine when I plug in headphones (I have no bluetooth anything with which to pair this). Whatever the problem is, it's got to be in the software somewhere. Why does it work just fine for most of the factory installed apps, but nothing else?! I've rebooted, cleared cache, can't GET into safe mode (there is no reboot option in my shutdown options; my only choice is power off), and reset to factory settings. No change.

Also, it would have been helpful if the Lenovo page that told me how to reset the phone would have ALSO told me to remove my SD card first, because that was erased before I could remove it. Lost all my un-backed-up music.

Further, CM Backup is the named app in the "how to factory reinstall." This app backed up exactly 0 of my files to their cloud.

Anyway, I've seen the comments back to others, so my serial/IMEI are on my profile, and Motorolla Privacy is enabled. I give you permission to browse my phone.

A few things. There is no reboot option on any stock android phone prior to 7.1. Safe mode is entered by tapping and holding the power off option after getting it to appear on screen via power button. 

Sd card is should only be affected after a reset if it was formatted as internal/adopted. It would be encrypted and the key would be erased when phone is reset.  The card is not erased, but it is inaccesible. If formatted as external it is still available after a reset. 

Can you link to where moto recommends cm backup? I dont see it on this page and moto usually does not recommend 3rd party apps by name. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/110630/p/30,6720,968...

* Search box is your friend * I don't respond to PM if question belongs in forum
TippiLongstckng
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,574
Message 39 of 280

@AlphaDog wrote:

Safe mode is entered by tapping and holding the power off option after getting it to appear on screen via power button.  

Thecard is not erased, but it is inaccesible. If formatted as external it is still available after a reset. 

Can you link to where moto recommends cm backup? I dont see it on this page and moto usually does not recommend 3rd party apps by name.

Respectively:

Except not, because no combination of holding or tapping or holding and tapping has done anything but cause the Power Off popup to either appear or disappear. 

Are you sure? Because the phone is telling me there were no files on the disk with 29.3G free space available and when I plugged the phone into my desktop via USB it also said there were 0 files on the disk and I had 29.3G free space available in both instances. Thoughts?

I'll take a pass on the CM thing, I probably read that elsewhere. But thanks for not solving my problem at all, but dumping it right back onto my lap, as if entering safe mode AFTER a factory reset will do anything to change the circumstances. I am far from the only person with the problem. Now actually service your customers and fix it. You have all my information and my permission. If you can't, I want a new phone. Period. This is the very first non-Samsung smartphone I've ever owned and I'm now regretting now giving my money to Motorola.

VikasG4Plus
Paper Tape
Views: 3,552
Message 40 of 280

The same issue started happening yesterday evening.

Audio works for a few minutes after restart and then its back to no audio.

Can't take or make calls, can't play any audio/video files or MP3s.

Restart, clear cache do not resolve the issue. No audio with ear phones either, only bluetooth speakers work.

Top Kudoed Authors